PDA

View Full Version : FAA Licencing

Desperate Wannabe
26th Nov 2007, 03:58
Wonder if you could help with some info?
I am looking at doing an FAA ATP, I am currently the holder of a S.A Comm, with I am busy getting an FAA validation for, my question really is, does one need to go over to the States to do the license, or can all the bits and pieces be done here in S.A with a FAA instructor on an N registered aerie, I would imagine so, I know renewals can be, but I am not sure about the initial flight test, or the Knowledge exams?
Have downloaded all the stuff off the FAA website, but still no clarity as to weather I can sit the exams here, or do the initial flight test here.
Any Input would be greatly appreciated.

CJ750
26th Nov 2007, 04:32
You can only write the exams in Dubai, Farnborough (flightsafety) and the USA. As far as the flight test is concerned i cannot help you. :confused:

PM me if you want some more info:8

B Sousa
26th Nov 2007, 04:45
I have helped a few folks in their quest for the FAA License. The last two guys were from JNB and wanted some specific training. It didnt work out as it started to get expensive based on their specific needs (B1900type).
If all you want is the ATP Multi engine, and without things such as a type in a B200 for instance. Its not hard to do, but you are going to spend some money.
Firstly the FAA will give you free an FAA PPl based on your SA License. There are some hoops to go through with Immigration TSA and others, but it can be done with prior planning. The hitch now is that to get any higher you must take writtens and ride. The big hitch we found is that although you may qualify for an ATP. The FAA has made no provision for verification of your total flight time and flight schools are reluctant to test you with a plain approval that your license and flight time are meeting stanards. This apparently came about when some who had the exams done and penciled in time while not meeting the requirements slipped through. Basically the FAA says OK, but with a form letter that does not state you have xxxx amount of hours.
So there are a couple glitches in the system. ANYTHING can be done if you want too, it just takes some planning.
If I didnt scare you away with that and your still interested, drop me an email and we can take it farther.
The whole mess is pretty easy, just time consuming and a hell of a lot cheaper than the CAA.
[email protected]
Since I live in Las Vegas I use a school nearby, they have done good for some friends. Their prices are listed. Also consider they want the writtens done before hand, which makes sense, but thats a no brainer and you can do the studying in SA and get the writtens done in the states for a small fee or free at the local FAA office.
http://www.shebleaviation.com/

B200Drvr
26th Nov 2007, 07:01
Things have changed and if you want to get the ATP, You need to go to the SACAA and get them to send your info to the Feds/ FAA. Then you contact the Feds in Oklahoma to verify they have the information they require. Once this is done, 30-90 days, You choose a school, complete the TSA requirements, obtain a visa and off you go to the USA to do the test. However, if you do not have an ATP already they will not necessarily let you do the ATP as you FAA certificate will be "based" on your South African one, even though you have passed the US test, and will only be valid if your SA license is valid.
The best way to do it if you meet all the requirements for an ATP is to study and write both the FAA Comm and ATP, and do both the flight tests, this way your FAA Comm is based on your SA Comm, but the FAA ATP will be stand alone as it is based on your FAA Comm. Please also note that the FAA ATP requirements differ from the SA ones.
The writtens and flight tests can be done in the UK, Frankfurt or the USA, but you need to complete the TSA requirements and license verification, even if you choose not to go to the US. (Europe will be more expensive, probably by double)
Please feel free to PM me if you need any further info, I am a current FAA CFMEII in SA.

Desperate Wannabe
26th Nov 2007, 07:40
THanks guys, this is exctly the kind of info I am looking for, it is a great help.