PDA

View Full Version : Cpl(h) To Cpl(a) Conversion

belly tank
26th Nov 2007, 01:29
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been posted before but i couldnt seem to find it in the search.

My Question.

What would be involved for the conversion, i completed my CPLH 12 years ago and have 3000+ hrs heli time mostly turbines. I also have a PPL(A) but havnt flow fixed for some 5 years or so.

Cheers

Cap'n Arrr
26th Nov 2007, 08:41
Can't remember off the top of my head, but its in the CARs under CPL(A) - minimum experience requirements. All the info is also on the CPL(A) application form, although you have to piece it together yourself.:ok:

oldrotorhead
26th Nov 2007, 08:51
Why don't you simply check out CAR (1988) 5.113 and then contact your nearest reputable helicopter flying school? You may find you already meet the minimums so far as aeroplane flight time is concerned but you will have to complete the aeroplane specific theory exams and depending on when you did your CPLH, you may also have to do CHUF as well. You may also need an endorsement on a suitable aeroplane for your CPLA test if you've only flown puddle jumpers on your PPLA.

WannaBeBiggles
26th Nov 2007, 10:01
You'll also need to do your Command Instrument Rating for an aeroplane ;)

I think you'll need to do Air Law (even though there are only a few questions difference... thanks CASA :ugh:) Performance & Planning, Aerodynamics and General Knowledge. Not sure if you need to do your IREX again as well.

You will need to do some flying to get up to scratch with your handling and such, but Navs and such really shouldn't be a problem for you.

belly tank
26th Nov 2007, 23:06
Thanks Guys, I had a look last night. its 60 hours from CPLH TO CPLA

thanks again!

outofwhack
27th Nov 2007, 20:05
In OZ I went from PPL(A) to CPL(H) and the step to CPL(A) took about 10 hours training in a fixed wing but I was previously current in fixed wing and had plenty hours in fixed wing. No IR done.
So I would have to say however long it takes to get current in fixed wing plus 10 hours of CPL(A) tidying up and the flight test.

On the exam side:
Air Law Helicopter = Air law fixed-wing with only 2 questions on helicopters! Stupid CASA! Should be one exam for heli and fixed wing.
Heli General knowledge
Heli Performance

OOW

Eskimo Joe
28th Nov 2007, 00:32
Have a look at this table from CASA's FCL Procedures Manual: http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/fcl/010r0301.pdf -
see under 3.12.1 Table of Conversion Guidelines

An CIR is not required as CPLA is a VFR issue. You will however have to come up to standard of that required of the Day VFR Syllabus - Aeroplanes (which will be assessed for you by the CFI of a flight school): http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/vfrday.htm

The bridging exams (as mentioned before) are type specific to Aeroplanes: http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/exams/cyber/cplexam.htm - see under CPL exam codes down the page + the Human Factors exam:
"Additionally, holders of (either aeroplane or helicopter) examination credits achieved before 11 March 2002 shall also sit and pass the Human Factors (or Human Performance and Limitations) examination".

Add to that the VFR CPLA flight test and I think thats it.