PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear - 25th November

Sam-MAN
25th Nov 2007, 21:05
Thought i'd start the weekly top gear thread...

Thought this weeks was excellent once again, certainly got a few laughs out of it :}

One of the few programs worth watching :ok:

Sam

Canada Goose
25th Nov 2007, 21:21
Damn - I've missed it !!! :sad:

Sam-MAN
25th Nov 2007, 21:29
:eek:

Dig through the previous top gear posts and download it :ok:

Well worth watching

bnt
25th Nov 2007, 22:05
It gets repeated later in the week (Tues?).

They do come up with some classic surreal lines. I think my fave from tonight went something like "I've just been lapped by Captain Slow in an Austin Princess full of water". :ooh:

Big Tudor
25th Nov 2007, 23:26
That's what I was thinking Basil. Considering the prices they paid for the sporty numbers a few series ago, how the hell was that Dolomite Sprint worth 1250?

spekesoftly
25th Nov 2007, 23:45
It gets repeated later in the week (Tues?).
Wednesday 7pm BBC2

goudie
26th Nov 2007, 08:16
Isn't this programme a bit dated now? Y' know, Boys 'n Toys. Just three overgrown schoolboys messing about and showing off.

26th Nov 2007, 08:21
Can't see how it could be dated when millions tune in every week and is sold throughout the world (including Asia and Australia!).

Made me laugh anyway. . .

bnt
26th Nov 2007, 08:21
Just three overgrown schoolboys messing about and showing off.
To me, this just raises some more questions:
Yes?
And?
So?
What?
:cool:

Gingerbread Man
26th Nov 2007, 09:40
Loved the Rover on the 1:3 gradient - hilarious. I also thought last weeks was a really good episode. Three car tests, one on actual real roads and not a performance variant!! As for measuring boot space in cheese... :} Well done TG, keep it coming.

P.S. How much do you want to have a go at the track to see if you can beat Simon Cowell?

Ginger ;)

Tony Hirst
26th Nov 2007, 09:42
Great stuff as usual.

My first car was a Princess. Wish I had the imagination to fill it full of water. I can't believe he paid more than 1 for it. Mine cost be 250 in back in...errm...1990 I think.

Standard Noise
26th Nov 2007, 10:17
Couldn't stop laughing at the 'classic BLcars' bit. Fantastic.
This programme gets better with each passing week.
As for the price of the cars, most of these are now owned by collectors who value them more highly than they are worth.

As for those who don't like it, well, reach for the off button or switch to 5th gear (although it may well put you to sleep! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

sitigeltfel
26th Nov 2007, 12:41
My first car was a Princess.

Wasn't this the only car to have a sex change? Started off as a Princess and ended up as an Ambassador!

Sam-MAN
26th Nov 2007, 15:57
I just love the way they pointlessly destroy stuff :}

if they were just reviewing cars it'd be boring... But the way they do it makes it interesting :D

tony draper
26th Nov 2007, 16:45
They are repeating the older series on that new freeview DAVE channel,watching one now as we speak, good stuff if you can tolerate the ten minutes of program shown betwixt the twenty minute advertising breaks.
:rolleyes:

'Chuffer' Dandridge
26th Nov 2007, 16:48
Isn't this programme a bit dated now? Y' know, Boys 'n Toys. Just three overgrown schoolboys messing about and showing off.

Everyone has their preferences. I suppose you enjoy watching stuff like I'm a celebrity Big Brother X factor get me outta here?

Top Gear has improved to the extent that it's the only thing I now watch on TV, the rest is mainly a load of left wing PC $hite. If that makes me a big kid, then so be it. I spent last night pi$$ing myself with laughter, more than can be said about most of what's on TV at present.

And I once owned a Triumph Dolomite - a top car in its day:ok: Nice to see Hammond also had trouble with the overdrive..

evenflow
26th Nov 2007, 17:46
Top Gear was brilliant last night...congratulations to all involved with the programme. I don't normally go out of my way to watch it (for reasons already mentioned - 'laddish, blokey, politically incorrect etc' for the sake of it), but will do in future. Forced to sit through it last night and was so glad I did..genuinely laugh out loud funny. The image of Richard Hammond gingerly stepping out of the Triumph sensing it was about to roll backwards and subsequent collision with the signpost will stay with me for a long time. Jeremy Clarkson opening the door to the Rover, but most of the door staying with the car was one of the funniest things I've seen on TV in a long time...not to mention the water pouring out of the car via the door handles...I could go on.
Just a pity Jennifer couldn't knock Simon Cowell off the top of the leaderboard - I'm sure someone will. Keep it up fellas - you have a new fan!

goudie
27th Nov 2007, 16:10
'Everyone has their preferences. I suppose you enjoy watching stuff like I'm a celebrity Big Brother X factor get me outta here?'

You suppose wrong Chuffer! I never watch reality progs. or much t.v. for that matter. I use to watch T.G. but it's the same old thing every week and has become rather 'Chaplinesque and Keystone Cops' which I find boring. Rather read a book or surf.
Each to his own eh?

Noah Zark.
27th Nov 2007, 17:16
I also enjoyed this episode. But how did they prevent all of the electrickery from shorting out behind the fascia when the heaps were filled with water?
Surely too big a job to seal it all off somehow, or re-route the essential stuff to under the bonnet. Or was it?

finalchecksplease
27th Nov 2007, 19:30
Noah Zark;

They will have started the cars and then disconnected the battery and in doing so any electrical connections to the dashboard, radio etc. Nothing to short out when the whole car interior is filled with water.

Greetings,

Finalchecksplease

JackHowe
27th Nov 2007, 20:04
I drive a diesel-engined car. Recently the power-steering pump collapsed as I was starting a long journey (on major trunk roads and motorway). I reasoned that I could manage without power-steering, so removed the drive-belt (which also turned the alternator). As it was a diesel it shouldn't require electrics to run the 'ignition', and, provided I avoided use of the radio or heater fan I thought that I could maintain a running vehicle provided that I didn't turn off the engine and need battery power to restart (I was going to catch a flight).
However, I overlooked the fact that the diesel fuel-injection system is electronically powered and I noticed that the instruments (speedometer and rev-counter) started to malfunction and ceased working, so I headed to the main dealer, just making it before everything packed-up.
Of course Top Gear would have the avantage of old-type mechanical instruments (and probably not electronic fuel injection).

Loose rivets
27th Nov 2007, 20:52
SO??????????? :}:}:}

Lots of ?s cos message was too short.

Lamenting Navigator
27th Nov 2007, 20:56
Good to see Hammond growing his hair long again. He used to be known as 'Hairy Hammond' some years ago, you know....

frostbite
27th Nov 2007, 21:08
TG is just motoring's answer to smut.

Sam-MAN
27th Nov 2007, 21:19
Personally i really don't care about cars. They get you from A - B, so what :} However, it's the funniness of the program which makes it worth watching.

JB007
27th Nov 2007, 21:32
It's superbly done, loved the way Hammond kept opening his door on the Princess then finally driving into it...

It just get's better!

goudie
27th Nov 2007, 22:40
Loose Rivets

Now that you've got my attention.

So, in this forum, that's my opinion.

I tried watching an episode the other night to see if I'd missed something. Nope, same old cr*p.
Whatever floats your boat I suppose.
Mind you James writes a good column in the T/graph and the motoring section of said paper is excellent.

Bartender
27th Nov 2007, 23:43
Excellent episode of an excellent program.

I feel the car comparisons have gone downhill though, how exactly does drag racing a car against a man on rollerblades with a jetpack prove anything about the car, or a Veyron against a Eurofighter on a course designed to give the car the upper hand?

On the other hand, the race across London was interesting and relevant, even if the car didn't win... co-incidence?