PDA

View Full Version : JPG picture will not open

TOT
25th Nov 2007, 19:20
Hi
I have numerous ( many hundreds) of JPG files saved in My documents/my pictures/xyz files/etc. every thing has been fine until just recently
all the pics have been taken with various digital cameras, but more recently (6months or so), Nikon digital camera.
Double click on any jpg file, within any picture file and the jpg then/usually opens in Nikon Capture program.
For the past week or so, the file jpg SOMETIMES opens, but OFTEN the error message appears- cant open, C:\\ C:\\ Documents/ etc/etc/etc jpg.
this happens about 50% of the time ,on average.
But if I fully open the Nikon Capture program first, then go, file, open, (new window opens) then double click the required jpg file it ALWAYS opens without fail.
likewise , if i open any jpg in any other viewer, then again the jpg ALWAYS opens without fail
System in use is Windows XP home edition
any ideas would be appreciated
thank you

PS the icon do not appear , but i cant get rid of them in this post

dontpickit
25th Nov 2007, 21:42
Guessing here, but you could open your photos folder, go to the 'tools' dropdown menu, select, 'folder options', go to 'file types' and check/change the 'open with' option for jpe, jpg and jpeg.

bnt
26th Nov 2007, 07:13
If you can always open them by other methods, it's probably the software itself. Do any of the file names have spaces in them, or odd characters? Some older software still hasn't caught up with this.

Jhieminga
26th Nov 2007, 08:55
Another way to reset the preferences for opening files is by right-clicking on the file from an explorer window. Select 'Open with...' (if that option isn't displayed, right-click while holding down 'shift') and select 'Choose program...'. Select the preferred application and tick the box below the list that says 'Always use this program to...'.

Personally I prefer to have JPGs open in the Windows viewer when I double click them. Saves the system loading a heavy application every time I just want to look at a picture. (It is the 'Windows picture and fax viewer' application.) Selecting this program might work better than a third-party application.

TOT
26th Nov 2007, 10:12
hi everyone

thank you for the replies

I have now tried numerous options

dontpickit, i have tried your option and it now seems to work ok, many thanks

will keep you informed.

best regards