PDA

View Full Version : Tendonitis

tom775257
25th Nov 2007, 09:38
Hello all,

After a very heavy summer's flying, followed by an incredibly busy roster this past month, I have ended up with tendonitis in my elbow area. The doctor thinks it is due to the repetitive movement of my left arm in the cockpit (changing the FCU/overhead panel/radios etc).

A few questions if I may. The doctor says my elbow and surrounding muscle has become infected. How does an infection occur without any external damage to the skin? I am now on antibiotics to cure this.

Has anyone else had elbow problems with airliner flying (I'm flying the A320)?

Any ideas how to prevent this from happening again? I am on pain killers (co-proximal) plus the general lack of ability to move my elbow means I'm now on sick leave to at least the end of the month - annoying to say the least.

Many thanks for any insights.

Regards, Tom.

gingernut
25th Nov 2007, 10:22
Not heard of treating simple tendonitis with antibiotics.

Is there a reason why your quack hasn't recommended a NSAID (such as ibuprofen) ?

More general information at
http://www.cks.library.nhs.uk/patient_information_leaflet/tendonitis

As regards preventing it happening again, you need to avoid the cause, and strengthening the surrounding tissues (by something such as swimming) may help- but complete rest for now.

tom775257
25th Nov 2007, 10:52
Hi,
Thanks for the response. I was prescribed yesterday Cataflam (diclofenac potassium), Augmentin and co-proxamol.

The doctor spoke limited English, but from what I gathered he said it was tendonitis, but the way the surrounding muscle and elbow itself felt so hot, he thought it was infected.

The symptoms initially were a high level of pain, especially if trying to move my arm, it felt like my skin was burning - in fact so painful I didn't sleep for two days. It came on after a flight, I would say over a period of 5 hours it went from a light pain to me wondering around swearing and sweating with pain that felt worse than when I have broken bones. The skin around my elbow and extending towards the shoulder and the hand was bright red, but is improving somewhat now.

Would you agree with his diagnosis?

gingernut
25th Nov 2007, 11:44
It's a bit difficult to say over t'internet, his treatment sounds reasonable, if the inflammation doesn't settle it may be worth investigating things further.

Diclofenac is an NSAID.

At this stage, rest is the key:), are you sure he didn't say cellulitis?

tom775257
26th Nov 2007, 10:49
haha ok I checked on cellulitis, doesn't look like that..

Well I'm enjoying the sick leave because I have come back to England and see the friends and family. Alas, my elbow now is swelling up nicely, one of my friends informed me that I look like a bash street kids character.

So it is time to go and try and see a GP in England *sigh*. Guess I'll bring a good book.

tom775257
26th Nov 2007, 17:01
Excellent. To complete the story, the doc says it's bursitis, and my arm is now infected all the way to where my watch sits.

So he drew on me the outline of the current infected area, and apparently if has increased in size by tomorrow I'll be admitted to hospital.

uklocations
26th Nov 2007, 19:40
So it is time to go and try and see a GP in England *sigh*.

Sounds like it was worth the wait:)

Bursitis is usually self limiting, but is worth investigating if severe, persistent or recurring.