PDA

View Full Version : virgin cabin crew

*DRIFTER*
16th Dec 2001, 12:41
Ok, i have been watching these forums for quite a while and perhaps its time to make a contribution.
I live next door to a house full of virgin blue cabin crew, and while i do not work for the company myself, i hear good insight into what goes on behind closed doors.
1. Yes, the recruitment team are considered to be very unorganised, young & inexperienced and in general have no idea what they are doing.
2. I know of people that 'got in' virtually at the first group session. A good friend actually was pulled aside at the end of the group session and asked to have a quick chat, 10 mins later told they had the job after completing a successful medical etc. Needless to say this person is extremely good looking... who said looks dont count!
3. Another friend caught the recruitment team out on several occasions lying so as to not have to face the flak from unhappy people.
4. HR have been unhappy with several recent intakes.... poor performance once employed and hence a review has taken place
5. This is how it works. If you have not been called back at least two days after the group session you have no chance. In general I have found that most of the people i know working as cabin crew for Virgin simply applied and didnt care if they got the job or not. it appears die hard applicants that stress that they want to be FA's are generally rejected. A cool and casual approach is needed.

But one thing is for sure! they end up with the most beautiful, cheerful cabin crew in Australia! Qantas could sure learn a few lessons. Flew Perth-Sydney this morning with QF... a cabin crew of unhappy old farts, the cabin supervisor looked like Sally Spectra from Bold & The Beautiful and the crew made no effort to be friendly... whats new!?!

flyblue
16th Dec 2001, 14:20
Because, of course, you can tell how good a F/A is from his/her good looks and youth :rolleyes:

Cart_tart
16th Dec 2001, 22:20
*DRIFTER* I completely agree with you re some of the crew with QF. I travel the PER routes quite often and find more often than not the crew are rude and seem so completely OVER IT they can't even force a smile onto their face. When I experienced this the first time I figured they were having a bad day, however when it happens time and time again you know that they're past their date. Sorry. I know that comment is going to ruffle a few feathers. I'm a FA and it is SO important make pax feel special and make them walk off that flight feeling like it's the best they've ever been on. When you can't even manage to rustle up a smile you shouldn't be doing the job anymore. And that's in ANY customer service orientated job. When you don't enjoy your job, your not enjoying your life - especially when you fly and your job IS your life! When that day comes for me I'm outta there!
I must say though that I have only found that particular problem with S/Haul crews on the runs to/from PER. The L/Haul (& S/Haul International) crews I have experienced over the years are always brilliant - even at 5am when you've been in the air for 11hours and still have 3 to go! Thats an achievement!
I completely agree with you, FlyBlue, that their looks aren't going to help us out in an emergency. However, even if you look like Sally Spectra (who I LOVE) you could at least smile and make someone's day a bit brighter!
:)

Exotic-Temptress
15th Jun 2002, 14:53
Drifter

Just reading your post made me realise how unfair it may seem to an outsider.

Being a VB cabin crew member, i to had to go through the recruitment process. They are professional, and work to recruit the best people possible. I can understand how frustrating it would be if you really want something so much, and feel you weren't given a proper chance.

One can always know how well another can interact, within the first few minutes of observation. VB want to break away from this old stuffy image that Qantas is well known for. (and with all respect to the Qantas FA'S who dont fit into that category).

Being a new and vibrant airline, everyone tries. We all learn as we progress forward, and its only natural that we make mistakes along the way. They have excelled so far and the majority of VB cabin crew are crazy, and so full of life. I hope they continue with their great method of recruitment and continue to chose well....both with the pilots and FA'S.

smile
16th Jun 2002, 07:49
ET - what you have said is sooo true.

I have been through a VB interview (well first session) and i also came out feeling a little down about their recruitment methods. But after that I read Richard Bransons "losing my Virginity" and really came to understand what the real culture of the company is about and how their recriutment methods reflect this.

For anyone interested in working for Virgin I recommend reading this book as it opens your eyes to the culture of the company. And if you have already read it and still don't get the picture-- read it again.

Now I am just waiting for another interview to show them that I now understand their culture and would love to be part of it.

love SMILE:D

vdd
17th Jun 2002, 03:43
Dear Cart Tart and ET

You both sound like great F/As! Cart Tart your attitude is great and I'm sure many pax enjoy your friendly service.

Just out of curiosity (and am not trying to be controversial here either) but you have mentioned that some QF F/As are a tad stuffy, over-it and can't be bothered to smile anymore. Don't QF Human Resources review their cabin crew from time-to-time and ask those with less than happy attitudes to perk up or either leave?

Enjoy your flying!
Cheers:) :D :)

flying_fox
17th Jun 2002, 05:23
.....both posts written by Cart_tart and Exotic-Temptress are so spot on and well written. Fantastic!

I try to go to work every day and fly every new sector being happy and enthusiastic toward our pax. (Presented like a complete GLAM!) I feel like I am a bit of a "try hard" because I KNOW that I am trying to over-compensate for those who do work for QF and are "so OVER IT". (As Cart_tart pointed out.)

I find it VERY embarassing as it is a well known fact that some QF FA's just come across as if they dont care and WORST of all make the pax feel like they are a complete inconvenience to THEM. (These FA's have become very spoilt and take their fantastic job for granted, which just sickens me to tears!)

I have a Regional flying background and think this has alot to do with my down-to-earth attitude. From my experience as a Solo FA - you are on your own in there, Baby, and if you dont set the right mood in the cabin - just expect to cop it tough from the pax! (It is the FA's RESPONSIBILITY- every day, every sector) Personally, I think that QF should do alot MORE of it's recruitment through the Regionals (rather than direct entry) for this very reason!

I get really cranky and frustrated when people on this forum (and also on the Dunnunda & Godzone forum) put ALL QF FA's into the same pot. (It just drives me nuts!) I suppose it makes me feel like (or worse still, realise) my efforts to make a difference are ineffective and futile! I am passionate about EVERYTHING aviation and LOVE my job and the people that I work with. My point is that I, too, wish things were a little different in some areas of my workplace - but alot of QF FA's are fantastic and are brilliant at their job! It is just not nice to generalise.

I have some close friends who work for VB as FA's and think that the fresh and friendly approach is just perfect. It wins EVERYTIME. Whilst, most of the VB FA's are stunning - "the look" is not the only thing that makes "it work" for VB.

Bye for now. Happy flying.

:)

(edited for spelling - again! and a touch up!)

christep
17th Jun 2002, 05:55
For what it's worth (which isn't much I guess) my experience with QF is very similar to that on BA - the whole tone is set by the CSD (or whatever they are called on QF). I have had some excellent flights on QF, including one SYD-SHA day flight which was a non-stop party in business class, with very free flowing champagne and a lot of happy pax, very largely because of the attitude of the CSD. On the other hand, I have had far more flights where the service was frankly pretty dire, including some in First.

You don't get the great flights so often with CX, but they are much more consistently good and friendly than BA or QF who both swing between great and awful.

cloud nine
18th Jun 2002, 06:12
That was such a fantastic post flying fox! And so true.

I hate to think that a few bad eggs at QF would be able to ruin our image.

I am a regional FA and have to admit that I give the best service possible. And so does everyone at my work. I dont really know what the service is like at mainline, but I can honestly say that every single FA at my company wouldnt dream of giving bad service to a pax.

flying_fox
22nd Jun 2002, 09:08
Thanks for your kind response. Regional flying is great isn't it? And it is nice to hear you work with a great buch, too. Although it is very physically demanding it is very also very rewarding and challenging - and a great way to land a position with mainline with a bit of perseverance! (Personally, I think alot of Regional FA tend to hit a physical burn out - and it is so supportive that QF do offer career progression for their FA's for this reason! I thinks we're so lucky.)

Biscuit Chucker, was that elusive "shouldn't be given a medal" comment especially for me? :rolleyes: (Because I wasn't hinting for you to issue me one!)

Hey, we all have bad days! It is how you handle them that counts. I will admit that I am the first one straight in the galley bitching, gossiping, laughing and mucking around if it makes me feel better and LOVE getting in on it with anyone else "who is having a bad day". Sorry, but I just would not dream of expecting my co-workers to rectify my poor image presented to pax - simply because I am having a bad day. My point is: that it is those FA's that are completely "over it" and have the nerve to keep on coming to work EACH shift and totally embarass me and other co-workers by treating people (passengers) like cr@p that completely annoys the hell out of me! It just spoils it for everyone! And my other point is: staff should be responsible for their attitude because they're paid alot of money to do just that! That is why we don't expect a medal! :D

Happy days and happy flying.

Exotic-Temptress
22nd Jun 2002, 12:42
Foxy

You sounded so genuine in what you said, and i only wish there were more FA's with your attitude.

Its ok to sit at the back and have a few laughs in the galley, but when you have personal issues, dont release frustration on people who arent there to cope your crap.

There are many pax who get on board as virgin flyers. Being on an aircraft can either be a thrill or a hindrance, and for this reason we need to be more tolerant and treat each individual to their own.

Keep the great attitude!!

flying_fox
23rd Jun 2002, 01:03
Thanks for your supportive post!

(As also mentioned by cabinboy in another topic) Please stick around it is just great to hear from someone who works for VB (and is also from Briz Vegas) on the forum expressing an opinion or two!!

;)

Bye for now.

cabinboy
23rd Jun 2002, 05:36
Flying Fox not sure who you are but I can't wait to work with you on the DH3 BNE-GLT, we have the same attitude so I reckon our pax will be extremely impressed upon disembarkation !!

Cheers
CABINBOY

Exotic-Temptress
23rd Jun 2002, 13:42
Biscuit

One should not bag an entire airline. Im sure there are many great QF FA's out there who love their job and enjoy what they do.

There are some shockers within VB also, Ansett, and every other existing airline in the world.

It is unfortunate that there are a minority who don't wish to be there, who ruin it for the others, and it becomes a reflection on the majority.

Reading some of these posts have made me see how shallow and critical people can be. I believe a lot of it stems from envy and jelousy..two of the most deadliest sins...( chucker im not refering anything unto you)

We all love to get on and have a few things to gossip about, and yes i may be guilty of that, but why can't people take notice of the postives that maybe existant also.

I guess being such a female dominated industry, you expect a lot of bitchiness and pettiness, a way of giving them some kind of significance.

flying_fox
24th Jun 2002, 14:19
Thanks for the response back.

It is a bit of a frustrating time at work at the moment. As a FA you are eyeballed and scrutinised by the public in everything that you do, say and look like at every given moment. I just feel that that this pressure is heavier than ever on FA's as a whole at the moment - and the entire experience is just a tad draining.

The following comment is with reference to other posts/subjects on this forum at the moment: I would also like to see all FA stay united as a group - or else we will sound like a bunch of stuck, squealing pigs (or WORSE still, like a group of squabling pilots!) If anything we should learn from pilot history and chose to stick together rather than chose to divide into groups and then see our working conditions (that we ccurrently enjoy so much) erode throughout our flying career.

:D

So lets all be nice to each other.

Toodles for now!

VFE
24th Jun 2002, 15:25
Has to be said that Virgin do tend to have more good looking CC than most airlines I know. I was on a flight from the US a coupla years ago and was quite surprised at how "friendly" the female CC were. One of them even gave my brother a quick flash of her jugs! They didn't even get the 'ump when me bro' sneaked through to first class and nicked a bottle of Champers! I got a telephone number off one who knew a record producer in London (I was a muso at the time) which was good of her. Basically they were a good bunch and "up for it". As a customer they were spot on IMHO.

Worth the airfare one has to say. :D

VFE.

Pass-A-Frozo
26th Jun 2002, 09:38
Well shouldn't we all get along. We all love travelling around Australia and the world, and we are all talking careers that no-one is doing "just for a job". Let's not forget though. The people down the back (Loadmasters with what I fly) do an important job. And if an aircraft crashes, and 100 people die instead of no-one because the back ender's made a mistake, the entire crew is branded with having killed 100 people!!! As a front ender you can do your best and crash visually ahead. But if the back enders were not there, do you think Grandma Mary is going to get out of the burning wreck??

Exotic-Temptress
26th Jun 2002, 10:06
Fox

You're attitude is sweet and its not about who is better than who and who is prettier than who.

Don't you think its all so petty judging one on appearance or age, especially when the only reason we are on those aircrafts, is the safety aspect of humans.

It's no beauty pagaent when we are put in an emergency situation...no one is then going to care who you are, and how you look like. Even if Brad Pitt was on board, we are going to be pushing and shoving him to the side :-)

But its those people who get on board and have nothing to occupy them but to find faults in others.

Learn to appreciate and respect each others positions and airline company, at the end of the day, we don't own it and we don't pocket the profits. We go, we work, we deliver, then get paid...so why should we bite the hand that feeds us.

vdd
6th Jul 2002, 07:02
FYI For Melb wannabe's.....

Virgin Blue advertised for cabin crew in The Age in Melbourne on 6 July 2002 (page 11 My Career). This appears to be for Brisbane based positions.

LIKE TO JOIN A TEAM OF CROWD PLEASERS!

Virgin Blue is not only looking for people who are eager to please - they are looking for people who are willing to raise the standard of excellence. Their current expansion means the need for cabin crew is expanding, so they have strictly limited places at their recruitment assessment centres (in Melbourne)
on Monday 22 and Tuesday 23 July.

For more information and online registration visit www.virginblue.com.au.

ONLY THOSE WITH SMILES NEED APPLY!