PDA

View Full Version : Dubai "Cost of Living" Questions

Dune
25th Nov 2007, 04:58
There are constant questions on this forum from wannabe's with respect to the cost of living in Dubai.

The "how much can I expect to put away at the end of each month" question is impossible to answer as there are over 1800 pilots now in EK spread over 34 different payscales (and many additional add-ons such as housing allowance, training allowance, office allowance, car allowance, management allowance, etc); some have kids/some don't, some have wives/some don't, some have ex-wives/some don't, some have maids/some don't, some eat steaks 4 times a week/some live off of basmatti rice, some hit the bars every night/some drink at home or don't drink, etc, etc, etc.

My point is any general "how much will I save" question has an infinate number of answers so it is pointless to ask. A specific question such as "how much does a kilo of chicken breast cost?" is a question that can be answered; the rest is nothing more than a waste of time and bandwidth.

If you do a google search on

"cost of living comparisons dubai"

you'll find a ton of information on what the costs are to live here. Simply compare where you currently live with the comparisons available and you'll get a good idea of what to expect.

Here is an example of a well written article from July/2007 that I just found on a google search:

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/cost-of-living-dubai