PDA

View Full Version : Fuel supplement charged when using FF miles

Momo
24th Nov 2007, 15:14
When we all pay for our travel, we pay extra these days because we pay the higher cost of fuel. I suppose this will be permanent.

When we use our FF miles for a trip, we expect to pay only the airport charges. I have been surprised to find myself paying the fuel supplement as well, at least with Swiss. This might seem reasonable if it were not for two things (1) fuel has been free of charge when using FF miles before and (2) FF miles are being earned on flights for which we are paying the fuel supplement in the first place. On the principle of FF miles representing a percentage of the original flight cost, this seems unfair at least, possibly unethical.

Is this now a general practice? What do you think of it?

PAXboy
24th Nov 2007, 15:22
I have no doubt that it is standard practice.
I have no doubt they changed the small print of FF members, with suitable notification.
Hard cash is what they want and any method will do.

Final 3 Greens
24th Nov 2007, 17:38
Swiss advertises on it's website that business class in the A320 "the seat next to you is guaranteed to remain free."

The airline then upgraded an economy pax to sit int he centre seat on my flight.

Having filled that seat with an upgraded economy pax, the airline then wrote to me to say "In fact flight LX1068 was overbooked in Economy-class. We very much regret to learn that you felt disadvantaged on the mentioned flight due to the fact that the center seat could not remain unoccupied in business class. May we point out that although SWISS does its utmost to /avoid releasing center seats, this service is definitely not guaranteed."

The contrast between the advertising and the actuality is stark.

In my opinion SWISS is a charlatan and I will have nothing more to do with an airline that behaves in such a way.

nivsy
24th Nov 2007, 19:15
Must say I agree with Final 3 greens - having fairly recently endured 5 sectors (European) with Swiss - can't say they impressed one little bit. By choice I would not use them again either - although when I flew with them I used my United FF Card to at least get miles that i would rather "spend" on the services of UA.

Nivsy

groundbum
25th Nov 2007, 17:57
F3G should surrender his Friends of the Eath membership immediately! I can't think of anything more selfish or greedy in wanting an airline to fly around with a piece of cabin half empty just so he can wallow in a slightly larger bubble! It's people like this that will wonder how their childrens children will manage in a world with ZERO fossil fuels! But he'll have a picture of his big tum on a half empty plane back when there were planes etc!

:*:ok: G

fendant
25th Nov 2007, 20:40
Swiss seems to be on an active marketing path to scare away their last loyal passengers:

a) They make you pay twice for the fuel surcharge, once when you fly and again when you cash in the miles
b) They have severely restricted mile award bookings on major routes, you can get mileage tickets only to thrilling destinations like Hanover, Nuremberg ..... Forget MIA, BKK, JNB ...., even if you are HON.
c) They just cut the executive bonus by 50 % Original Quote: " In order to even better give consideration for maximum exclusivity and quality we harmonize the conditions for gaining and sustaining status level. The executive bonus will be 25 % from Jan. 1st, 2008" signed by Doktor Christoph Beckman, what a clown!
d) Seat comfort in C-class on long haul on A 330 is at Air India or PIA level. The sleeper seats on the A 340 are the worst in the industry. Long Haul C- Prices are however the highest of the industry.
e) Short haul C-class is a joke, seat pitch matches the worst UK leisure carriers.
f) Arrival at E-terminal between 06:00 and 07:30 am is a true nightmare. Bangalore or Manila airports are in contrast better organized.

No wonder they are loosing C Pax in masses to EK, QR and even AF!

Frank

Momo
26th Nov 2007, 05:57
Well, this is getting away from the fuel surcharge question, but here are my views:
- Swiss A330 C class is indeed sub-standard. It is marginally better than United C class because of better video and food. Seven more A330s are on order. A few years ago, we were told they were going to refurbish the C cabin and asked what we would like to see. No change so far. Let's hope they re-do them when the new ones start to arrive. Flying from GVA to New York, we can only choose between Swiss A330s and Continental. Continental is marginally more comfortable. No beds either in 767s. I have to say that Air France long haul business class was worse than any of these until they started to change it all last year. The seat recline was very poor, and let's not get into their timekeeping.
- The comment on pricing is unfair. British Airways, ex UK, has by far the highest C class fares of any airline.
- The Swiss A340 seats are close to the LH ones, meaning they are not quite flat, but much better than the A330 seats. I have not flown Emirates, but currently feel the A340-600 C class seats on South African are the best I have encountered.
- Award bookings remain problematic on Swiss and LH. Last Feb I tried to arrange four C-class award seats to Johannesburg on any Star Alliance flights from Geneva via any hub, for Feb 2008. Impossible.
- C-class seat pitch is poor on the A320s. However, the much thinner seat backs mean that you have about the same room as on other airlines.
- Arriving in ZRH at the E terminal early in the morning is indeed surprising. I often run early in the morning when I stay at the Hilton near the airport. Arrivals come in low beside the running trail. It is clear that planes queue until the airport opens at 6 AM and then a large number land within 15 minutes, crowding the terminal.

Ah well, next week I go to SFO via FRA on the way over with United and Lufthansa via Munich on the way back. Swiss does not fly to SFO. C class fare of 5500 SFr, which is 2300 pounds, and close to $5000 these days. SFO-MUC is the last flight from there to anywhere in Europe these days, which is why I normally take it. It leaves at 21:50 so is good for sleep.

This week I go to AMS in C class on KLM. Worse than Swiss from just about every possible perspective, with the possible exception on seat pitch on the 737s, but not on the F100s.