PDA

View Full Version : Bathrooms

bobmij
24th Nov 2007, 14:41
I've just been reading an article in a magazine about the construction of T5 at LHR and the bathrooms in particular. Apparently a great deal of effort has gone into making them appealing to the public and pleasant to use. Water is recycled for flushing from the T5 rain harvesting system. They sound great and I can't wait to use them myself.
Upon further investigation through friends who work on the construction site, it turns out that there are to be no bathrooms at all at T5. The best to hope for is a shower in an airline lounge.
It seems bathroom is a euphemism that is now interchangeable with the word toilet or lavatory. I appreciate that this is common parlance in the US (bless them, can't be expected to get a proper grip of English and wage pointless wars across the globe) but can we avoid absorbing these inaccuracies here please?
Why don't people say what they mean?
I think something should be done.:*

Sallyann1234
24th Nov 2007, 15:02
You are right. It really baths me off :eek:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
24th Nov 2007, 15:04
Exactly what did you want to use the bathrooms for? :=

Lamenting Navigator
24th Nov 2007, 18:51
I thought bathroom was just that - a room with a bath. I'd like to see such rooms at T5... what they really mean is toilet block, isn't it?

JackHowe
24th Nov 2007, 19:10
If you consider the state of most public toilets, would you really want to follow anybody into the bath?
You'd have to consider why the previous occupant wanted/needed to take a bath . . .

Blues&twos
24th Nov 2007, 22:47
It's not bathroom, restroom, toilet or WC, the proper expression is "Khazi".

At least it is where I work.

Rainboe
24th Nov 2007, 22:55
<<You'd have to consider why the previous occupant wanted/needed to take a bath . . .>>
Quite! What fascinates me is this tendency for westerners to enjoy sitting in multiple baths together...with perfect strangers. It's called a fancy name....'jacuzzis'. How do people share baths with strangers? I watch with rapt fascination. I ask some of those inbibing if they were walking along a hotel corridor, and a room door was open and they could see that someone had gotten out of their bath and left the room empty- would they willingly jump into their lovely hot bath? Yuck no! is the answer. So why do they do it on decks of cruise liners and ski lodges?

5minMax
25th Nov 2007, 07:20
So proud they are of indoor plumbing, the euphemism seeks to call attention.

Loose rivets
26th Nov 2007, 06:11
Umm...Rainboe said 'Gotten', at the same time as living in Hampshire.

Lavatories. They are Lavatories!!! Places and devices for Lavatorying in. :\

larssnowpharter
26th Nov 2007, 07:11
Rainboe:

How do people share baths with strangers? I watch with rapt fascination.

One wonders if such voyeuristic behaviour is entirley acceptable.:}

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
26th Nov 2007, 13:43
Funnily enough while Bathroom in America means Toilet (the room, not the appliance) Lavatory means Sink (the appliance, not the verb).

JackHowe
26th Nov 2007, 23:33
I believe that 'laver' is the French word for wash and is reflexive 'se laver' which also means to wash onesself or 'faire sa toilette'.
Funny old World.

Loose rivets
27th Nov 2007, 06:24
Oh. :uhoh:

Thank goodness I was never posh enough to say lavatory. Mind you, I hate Crapper. He may have invented the darn thing, but what an ugly word.

merlinxx
27th Nov 2007, 07:06
SO THERE!!!!!!!!

27mm
27th Nov 2007, 07:52
I never travel on safari without my Bush Thunderbox.....

tony draper
27th Nov 2007, 10:29
No confusion here, the "Netty" is outside as is the bath, it hangs on a hook in the back yard.
The flushing toilet ie the crapper was not invented in the colonies, Good Queen Bess had one in Tudor times, we had the flushing toilet here when the cousins were still knee deep in buffalo shite and the height of sophistication was actually getting out of the covered waggen to take a poo.
:rolleyes:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
27th Nov 2007, 11:00
To be modern, neutral; why don't we just call the heads the "ladies' convenience" or "gentlemen's convenience", as appropriate (irrespective of qualification for either)?

Beer_n_Tabs
27th Nov 2007, 13:38
Sh1thouse

Easy to remember, and clear and concise in its explanation of what the particular room is used for.

Davaar
27th Nov 2007, 16:57
Beer n has, as it were, hit the nail on the head. The euphemism "bathroom" to mean "bathroom" may offend some as American. but it was common, though not vulgar, let's say "standard" in Scotland over sixty years ago. People laugh at the American "restroom", but why that should be funnier than loo (derivative of l'eau), heads, cludgy, shunky, crapper, and on and on to (as I once read) "chamber of office", I cannot understand. Most direct, in fact Beer n like, was the "sjoethus" (it needs Norwegian orthography) I found in an older edition of "The Last Grain Race".

This mealy-mouthed custom is not limited to waste elimination. If I say "gay", I am Okay, man, but if I say "bugger" (dictionary), or even worse, "bum-xxxxxx" (not dictionary) which all mean the same thing in fact, for some, I think, then I am oot the windae.

Why in each case should the word be more offensive than the fact? The other one (one of them, anyway) with four letters is in general acceptance.

tony draper
27th Nov 2007, 17:55
Hmm, another title for the facilities in the north used to be "La' tee" pronounced as in Party, not heard it called thus for many years though, any idea where or what La'tee was derived.?
:cool:

Track Coastal
27th Nov 2007, 18:48
And us pods thought you brits were averse to a shower. Well there you go.;)

tony draper
27th Nov 2007, 18:56
Yer we Poms prefer a bath, you lot grew accustomed to showers by being hosed down on the deck once a week.

reynoldsno1
27th Nov 2007, 20:04
any idea where or what La'tee was derived.?
sounds like a dimunition of "latrine" to me - now there's a word, latrine...

tony draper
27th Nov 2007, 20:13
Hmmm,don't think so, one would have thunk it would have just been pronounced "El Tee" were that the case,one hates to admit this but it sounds slightly French,speaking to a old mate a few minutes ago and he recalls it being "La Tee John" can't say I recal the John being added,but then he lived in a posher part of town.
Could be summat brung back from the western front I suppose.

Davaar
27th Nov 2007, 20:22
Don't think so. More likely the Western rear.

JackHowe
27th Nov 2007, 20:26
Lartie was endemic school-speak for me in the 50s (though I've not heard it used for half a century past).
Wasn't able to find it in any lists of Tyneside words though (but I can somehow hear it being uttered by Jimmie Nail). AFAICR we went to the lartie for a kak.

tony draper
27th Nov 2007, 20:42
Yup thats a better spelling Mr Howe lartie, another common word from that period that has disappeared is "coin" meaning to make turn,as in "go up the road and coin to the right",or "coin round here"

reynoldsno1
27th Nov 2007, 21:29
a kak.
from the Dutch, hence pappekak: soft excrement which became poppycock ... :8

QNIM
27th Nov 2007, 22:01
Gday
A Dunny's a Dunny not a bathroom.
Cheers Q