PDA

View Full Version : Money or monies?

Gnirren
24th Nov 2007, 14:01
Is this plural form of money actually correct or is it some sort of slang? To me it sounds weird, it's like saying fishes instead of fish. I wouldn't say "John owes me monies" and I think the only time I've heard it has been in a legal context or when someone wants to sound "official".

effortless
24th Nov 2007, 14:47
Monies refers to multiple sums usually owed.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
24th Nov 2007, 15:07
I wouldn't say "John owes me monies"No, because you would say I wouldn't say "John owes me sundry monies/instruments/considerations or forfeitures included in but not limited to the following list:"

ORAC
24th Nov 2007, 15:38
if I may beg to offer the following for your due consideration.

The question of money/monies is similar to that of pence/pennies.

When one considers the price of something as a whole, without regard to the individual coinage involved, one would say the, for example, "the price is 3 pence". But when discussing the coins in ones pocket, as individual items, one would say, "I have 3 pennies".

Similarly when considering how much an individual owes, but without itemisation, one would say, "he owes me money". But when considering the matter as an itemised list which might be enumerated, as by Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! above, one would say, "he owes me the following monies" etc.

tony draper
24th Nov 2007, 16:13
If it's the John I know I wudden lend him owt anyway.:rolleyes:
Data is another one
"This data" sounds right
"These data" does not,
not to my lugs anyway.
:confused:

Farmer 1
25th Nov 2007, 10:34
So, why isn't it "moneys"?

I believe this word is unique in the English language, in that it ends with a Y preceded by a vowel where one does not simply add an S for the plural. Let's have a bit of standardisation, chaps.

ORAC
25th Nov 2007, 10:45
Let's have a bit of standardisation, chaps. In English? :}