PDA

View Full Version : What does this say about the airline?

a5in_the_sim
24th Nov 2007, 10:05
What would you think if everyone in your company got a letter like this?
STAFF NOTICE
EMPLOYEES AND THE MEDIA
I would like to remind all staff that they must not communicate with the media (television, radio, press or other media) about any part of XXXX:mad:XXXX's business (or using XXXX:mad:XXX's name), without obtaining permission from their chief officer.
Employees should also note that they must not post materials to websites, newsgroups or 'blogs' that can be attributable to XXX:mad:XXX or you, as the employee - that risk bringing XXXX:mad:XXX into disrepute or placing it in a position of liability.
To do so may damage XXXX:mad:XXX's reputation and therefore breaches of the above may lead to disciplinary action.
Should any employee have a genuine concern, then they can raise this concern with their manager or through XXXX:mad:XXXX's Grievance procedure or in certain circumstances through XXXXX:mad:XXXX's Whistleblowing policy. Note that both Grievance and Whistleblowing policies can be found on the Company's Intranet.
XXXXXX:mad:XXXXXX
Director of XXXXX:mad:XXXXXXX

Ian Brooks
24th Nov 2007, 10:08
Seems like a quite general statement for nowadays and not just in the airline industry

Ian

MrHorgy
24th Nov 2007, 10:23
I wouldn't worry that much. If it's in relation to what I think it is (assuming your posting because that edict has just been issued following a thread on here) then there are plenty of non-employees and others who are happy to discuss it. Sending out high and mighty memos won't make the problem go away.

Horgy

SLFguy
24th Nov 2007, 10:26
Very similar to emails we recieve regularly... offshore construction industry.

Unwell_Raptor
24th Nov 2007, 10:37
It still hasn't dawned on most senior managers that since the Interweb nothing can stay secret for long. Openness is less likely to lead to grief in the long term. I have been in a meeting one chair away from someone ranting on about a certain blogging magistrate and what they would do when they caught him, unaware that the subject of their wrath was smiling inwardly three feet away.
Two years on the blog is almost respectable, and even has a link from the official Magistrates Association website!

A Very Civil Pilot
24th Nov 2007, 12:58
Even if it is industry standard, it seems it's more of attacking then symptoms rather than the cause. If all you had to blog about was how happy you are, I don't think there would be so much concern!

GlueBall
24th Nov 2007, 15:22
It says: Don't **** Where You work! :rolleyes:

visibility3miles
24th Nov 2007, 15:34
It is standard boilerplate. It also gives them cause to fire you if they can determine that you were a source of an internet post that they found objectionable, whether or not it was true. Plus, I suppose it lets them say they fired you because you were a disgruntled employee.

This might have been a concern for Danny's proposed Porcine Aviation "Professional Pilots ONLY Forum." Managers with the authority to fire employees might be airline pilots able to join closed forums.

In the United States, the courts can and do force internet service providers, such as AOL or Yahoo!, to disclose the real identity of "anonymous" posters if libel (or criminal intent) is alleged.

Edit to add: Glueball has a point.

merlinxx
24th Nov 2007, 15:37
Standard inclusion in most 'Contracts of Employment' documents. In other words a 'Company Official Secrets Act' Every company is rife with leaks so
you don't have to name the company, most folks with ascertain who/what is being spoken/written about. Just don't slag off individuals by name or full title,
in fact don't slag folks off full stop. Complain, whinge, but don't get gum bleeds and talk like one!

Maude Charlee
24th Nov 2007, 16:23
Err, if anyone asks, you lot ain't seen me. Right? :ooh:

brakedwell
24th Nov 2007, 17:53
My motto was: hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil - and don't crap on your own doorstep.

SLFguy
24th Nov 2007, 22:38
"My motto was: hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil "

We've taken years to get rid of that mentality... but I work in a safety concious industry.. you obviously don't. :rolleyes:

Ace Rimmer
25th Nov 2007, 01:44
I run the media comms role for a large organisation (who better remain nameless but suffice to say a lot of you are indirectly a part of it) and the 'only authorised bods talk to the media and only then tell me what you think you are going say first' is a mantra I cr@p on about all the time. All this is standard stuff...

brakedwell
25th Nov 2007, 06:39
We've taken years to get rid of that mentality... but I work in a safety concious industry.. you obviously don't.
Wrong, but then Bean Counters have never been accused of having a sense of humour. :ugh:

WannaBeBiggles
25th Nov 2007, 07:33
Very standard stuff really.

Employers can easily be held liable what their employees do and say in the name or reference of the company.

Good example is what happend at a previous employers. They were advertising for a position and a friend of someone within the company applied. The said friend asked his friend whether he thought he got the job and got a response from the friend telling him "yep, you got it". (now the friend had nothing to do with recruitment or the position)

Turns out the friend didn't get the job, sued the company for 12 months wages and won!

Another thing that can hold an employer very liable is if an employee accidently (or on purpose) posts market sensitive information? This can lead to some major fines and/or convictions!

groundbum
25th Nov 2007, 12:06
another reason for the company to send the memo out is perhaps not to stifle any current ongoing issue, but to serve as a placemark for what their rules are. Then if an employee breaks the rules they can't claim ignorance of the rules and hence unfair dismissal etc. So it's like the safety signs plastered everywhere these days, tannoys in DIY sheds saying keep your children next to you etc etc, if the company can reasonably prove they told you so, then they're not liable for whatever catrastrophe unfolds.

In the old days it was called common sense, but now there appears to be zero value placed against having any!

G

Mr_Pilot
25th Nov 2007, 13:07
Mate,

I am just into my first flying job. And it was all rolled out to me on a red carpet before I even went for the check ride. I have had it done in many other areas of work though.

Basically the world has gone mad with scare tactics and in the "heat of the moment" of some one forgetting to actually do their job. The media is the main perpetrator, only too happy to misprint or take out of context what may be said in passing. Company's are only trying to go into damage (prevention)control before the fact.

Cover your own ass as you try and climb the slippery pole of hierarchy! Then you can let go once your at the top, and watch the sh!t rain down on all those below you...

That is how it is done is it not???

(Sorry I have the Government as my "lead by example" :ooh:)

Erwin Schroedinger
25th Nov 2007, 15:04
What does this say about the airline?

It says "XXXX:mad:XXXX"

sevenstrokeroll
25th Nov 2007, 15:32
A blanket statement prior to any post or statement anywhere should be:

my views are my own and don't represent my employer, any governmental agency, any union or similiar organization. I am not disclosing proprietery information.

Simply put these are my opinions and nothing more unless specifically stated otherwise.

and don't use your name.

a friend refers to the aviation mafia and nothing gets out...the trouble is someone has to blow the whistle for dangerous things.

G-BPED
25th Nov 2007, 18:15
Quote:
What does this say about the airline?

It says "Dont bite the hand that feeds you"

1Bingo
25th Nov 2007, 19:30
CYA (cover your ass)