PDA

View Full Version : Any PPRuNe BMW Mini Owners?

Jinkster
24th Nov 2007, 10:28
Just wondered?

shy_one
24th Nov 2007, 11:02
Yes. Why? ......................................

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
24th Nov 2007, 14:26
A mate has one. Can't stand the thing myself. Horrible, uncomfortable car.

Why?

ShyTorque
24th Nov 2007, 17:14
If I was I wouldn't admit it here.

I'm sticking to my Reliant Robin.

airborne_artist
24th Nov 2007, 17:16
It's only my opinion, but I think the MINI (as BMW like you to call it) is suitable for only these groups:

Ladies who are well over 40 who'd like you to think they are not yet 30

The 20 y/o daughters of car dealers

Men who are only ever likely to form a same sex civil partnership

bnt
24th Nov 2007, 17:24
You forgot to add "estate agent" to your list.

So, basically, you buy a car based on who else is driving it, and not on such factors as reliability, economy, or roadholding? I blame Jeremy Clarkson for this.

airborne_artist
24th Nov 2007, 19:10
As the driver of a knackered 405 diesel estate, which are the preserve of window cleaners and pikies, I'm not too fussed about who else drives the car. My problem with the MINI is that it's a triumph of form/fashion over function, and BMW, very successfully, have made it appear to be trendy.

BMW's own marque has just the same success in the UK - it's a premium brand here, an image it does not have to the same extent in the rest of Europe.

Widger
24th Nov 2007, 19:23
Mrs Widger bought one this year. Very hard ride but handles well and as it is a diesel, I get 80mpg, 0-60 in about 9 secs, 35 a year road tax!

No room in the back though!

Hobo
24th Nov 2007, 19:47
No room in the back for what?

Jinkster
24th Nov 2007, 19:52
My reason for posting - we havent had a car thread for a while

I have a Mini One Diesel - head gasket just gone and its now in for repair :eek:

BigEndBob
24th Nov 2007, 20:10
Someone in the flying club was discussing how a quote of 1500 was given for a clutch change!
Does the Mini have some kinda electric clutch built into the gearbox?

JackHowe
24th Nov 2007, 21:15
Mini One Diesel - head gasket just gone and its now in for repair
Why would the head gasket on a modern engine 'go' unless there was some weakness in the design or construction?
Engines should wear out after hundreds of thousands of miles, (ask airborne_artist), not break down through component failure.

Parapunter
24th Nov 2007, 21:16
Now you see on the old Mini, you'd saw through the gear linkage, undo the gerabox & walk off holding said gearbox with one finger. Two if you were a tomboyish girl type.

bnt
24th Nov 2007, 21:32
Really disappointed in the new Clubman. They couldn't be bothered to make a version with the back door on the left side, as would be useful in the UK, Japan, Australia etc. The door is unusable if you want to pull over and let someone out, there's just a single door on the other side.

yakker
24th Nov 2007, 21:50
Mrs Yakker has a diesel mini (airborne_artist, she fits in your first group:) ) it has done 30K and so far so good. She loves it.

mini
25th Nov 2007, 01:09
BMW apparently are the only major car manufacturer that hasn't posted a loss in the last 30 years, they must be doing something right...

BTW, many possible causes for head gasket failure, regardless of marque.

ZeBedie
25th Nov 2007, 16:40
It can't be a proper Mini if it doesn't need a new sub frame every three years.

Tony Hirst
25th Nov 2007, 18:06
Or it isn't lop sided due to a hydrogas leak.

Mini fan
25th Nov 2007, 22:47
I had one before the classic.

Awesome cars. Really capture the (enjoyable part of the) driving experience of the classic.

The funny bit is the whole drivetrain is so unreliable on the early Mk1s (51-04) because it's all Rover design and Rover parts.

The Midlands g/box is a common problem on the early Ones and Coopers (the Cooper S has 6spd Getrag box) and probably 30% have needed replacing, some go through more than 2 in 50k miles. The 'box is just not built to be mated to a Chrysler lump and it really doesn't take it well.

The Mk2 (R56) Mini is an all BMW design and I envisage it will have better reliability.

The 1500 clutch change was a quote from a Dealer I assume? They charge extortionate labour and it is a looooong job on that car. I had my clutch changed for 500 from an independent mechanic.

spekesoftly
25th Nov 2007, 23:59
Or it isn't lop sided due to a hydrogas leak.

Nah! A 'proper' Mini has rubber cone suspension.

Say again s l o w l y
26th Nov 2007, 00:05
It isn't a proper mini if it doesn't drive down the road like a crab due to "issues" with the sub frames.

Mind you everyone I know who's had a BMW mini has had more trouble with the things than is really aceptable. One mate added up the total warranty claims over a 2 year period and it totaled over 12k!!!!! More than the damn thing was worth!

JackHowe
26th Nov 2007, 00:53
BMC (later BLMC) were said to lose 30 on every Mini that they produced as it left the showroom ie without any warranty work being included.
Sounds like BMW are outperforming their nemesis by a substantial margin (unless, of course they priced the thing way up in anticipation).

Windy Militant
26th Nov 2007, 09:21
Now you see on the old Mini, you'd saw through the gear linkage

You had a remote gear stick? That's not a proper Mini! A proper Mini had the three foot long Christmas Pudding Stick. You kept on stirring it and if you were lucky you got the right gear once a year :}

The very early Minis had no syncro mesh on first gear so you had to come to a complete stop before it engaged without much grinding and crunching.
One day going for third on a bumpy back road I made a really smooth shift or so I thought. It unusually went straight in first time. I was well chuffed until I let the clutch out and nearly went through the windscreen. I'd only got the thing into first at about sixty per. :ouch:

Parapunter
26th Nov 2007, 09:41
Hee hee! There was a heated pin arrangement to connect the gear linkage IIRC, so that you could knock the pin out & slide the box away. However, that took forever & a day, so the quickest thing was to saw it in half. One had to box clever though & saw it at an angle so that it could only weld back together in one position. One learnt that from mate who sawed it straight through & spent the next few years reaching for the parcel shelf whenever 2nd gear was required.

Flip Flop Flyer
26th Nov 2007, 09:51
Used to own a 2002 Cooper with all the bells and whistles. Loved it to bits; really went like shyte off a shiny shovel around corners. Found it comfortable enough to regularly take it on a 2000km round trip back home.

No space in the back? Well, I found it to have enough space for a shag on more than one occasion. Also big enough to hold 2 guys each at around 185-195cm and 100kg plus in the bag, plus a really big guy in the pax seat. Ok, it was for a very short ride :E

Never had a problem with it in 3 years of ownership, nothing. Received excellent service from the BMW dealership, and found the prices for service to be reasonable all things considered. If cheap service costs had been a major issue, I'd bought myself a Toyota or Ford.

OverTq
26th Nov 2007, 10:07
My Cooper S is 4 yrs old and has done 30K. Nothing has gone wrong in that time and uses no oil between changes (unlike the 'S' I had in '65 which used a pint every 200miles). Great car and huge fun to drive (always was a bit of a boy racer).

Right Way Up
26th Nov 2007, 11:11
I wonder how many people dissing the Mini has ever driven one. My other half wanted to buy one last year & initially I was a little non-plussed. However once I had driven it I was sold. The best fun is when on a leisurely run, Mr Middle-aged "David Brent" man in his executive Mondeo accelerates into your boot on a straight. Just gently wind up the speed & kart it through a corner. The look on their face is something to behold (thats if they can keep it on the road)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
26th Nov 2007, 13:40
Well, I found it to have enough space for a shag on more than one occasion. Also big enough to hold 2 guysAre those two statements related? :=

waldopepper42
26th Nov 2007, 14:06
I've owned a Cooper for 4 years now.

Cons:
Can't cope with floods. I tried to drive mine through a measly 4" of water (didn't even reach the door sills) Result: a blown engine and a 6,000 bill for a new one. Amusingly(!) in the BMW garage that did the repair had three minis in with the same problem at the same time! Turns out the air intake is mounted low down in the grill facing forward!

No room in the back for any one unreasonable enough to have legs.

Ride is teeth jarringly bumpy (low progile tyres and sports suspension.

Underpowered (well, comparted to my Yamaha R1, anyway).

Pros
Girls love it

Fun to drive.

Girls love it

Handles like a go-kart - sticks to the road like the proverbial on corners

Girls love it

Would I have another one?

Hell yes!!

reverserunlocked
28th Nov 2007, 12:26
Got an '04 Cooper with 'Cooper S' badging (not done by me but the first owner I hasten to add) and love it. Mine's only done 20,000 miles but feels tight and nothing's fallen off. You can tell it's a BMW group product in that it drives like a much bigger car. The driving position is spot on, the handling, gearchange and pep from the 1.6 is on the money. The fat Cooper S wheels mean a firm ride but it's lots of fun on the twisty bits and the high roof line inside mean it's actually pretty spacious in the front at least. My other half has a nicely specced One that cost 12,000 when she bought it at six months old. Three years and 60,000 miles later it's still worth the best part of 8000. That can't be bad.....

M.Mouse
28th Nov 2007, 13:41
We had a MINI One when they first came out. An odd warranty repair for minor items but otherwise faultless in the two years of ownership and a great car to boot. I am not sure what a previous poster meant by no room but I have sat in the back and for a relatively small car found it fine.

Say again s l o w l y
28th Nov 2007, 13:48
The boot is pretty tiny, but the car itself is a great drive. I really enjoyed hacking about in one.

I just get put off by the image and the fact it is playing on the image of an older car. I really don't like the way that a lot of modern cars can't seem to have an identity of their own but have to rely on the shared glory of previous designs.
Even i they are pretty good cars in their own right.

goudie
28th Nov 2007, 14:08
I was tempted to buy a MINI once. Sat in one in showroom, sales girl telling me how much it suited me, just my sought of car etc. Then I went to get out and nothing happened. Said sales girl gave me helping hand as I 'ouched' my way out. Eventually managed to stand up, made my excuses and left. There's no fool................

Loose rivets
28th Nov 2007, 17:08
I got a lot of street cred with our engineers when I asked them if they would mind picking up a head gasket for my mini in time for my return.

"It's totally no-go, and on the side of the road by the RAC box." ( near the front doors of LGW.)

Imagine now, toolbox out, changing a head gasket on the main Brighton road. You'd get surrounded by men with big guns.

Took me about 45 mins by the way, and cost thirty bob.

Jinkster
28th Nov 2007, 17:10
I just spoke to my Mini Dealer earlier who by the way are charging me 200 to change, as it is close to warranty - Mini have decided to pay most of the work!

Anyhows, It looks like I will be back with the car in 7 days time as to change the gasket on the 1.4 Diesel (One D) - have to take the engine out! :uhoh:

SilentHandover
28th Nov 2007, 17:19
Just trying to decide on one of these machines for my new 100 mile daily round trip commute, unfortunately they now only offer a Cooper D not a One D so the price of one has risen a lot, I have been wondering if the premium for one over similar sized Corsas etc is money well spent? Any advice most welcome.

JackHowe
28th Nov 2007, 17:36
Peugeot (also Citroen) diesel engines are economical and reliable (as are, I believe, the VW/Skoda ones).
Probably the best value-for-money would be a Skoda (basically VW anyway).

flyingfemme
28th Nov 2007, 18:31
Count me among the Mini owners as well.......JC Works. Had it for almost two years, no probs and the most fun I've ever had on four wheels.

Comfy to drive but not so good for passengers.....do I look bovvered?

It's the only german car that gets a smile from other road users!