PDA

View Full Version : Dubai driving license - exchange or not?

Guy D'ageradar
24th Nov 2007, 07:19
Morning All,

I tried posting this already on the ATC forum but little response, so here goes:-

I am a brit expat, already spent 5 years in the sandpit, seriously thinking about returning next year.

In my research, I've come across multiple reports about a change in the driving license exchange policy - namely that those of us from the "lucky 36" can no longer have a straight swap for a UAE driving license and must take "lessons" and the infamous "test"!

The government web site still suggests the straight swap is available - tried emailing them to be told that I must use the roads and traffic department's website - which needs a login to access anything - which needs - you guessed it - residency details to register.

In short, has anyone any recent experience of trying to exchange a license here and / or can shed any further light on this?

Failing that, can anyone tell me if it's possible to resurrect my expired UAE license?

Many thanks,

Guy.

tbaylx
24th Nov 2007, 07:29
As of now you can still do a straight swap if you are from one of the countries on a list that includes UK, USA etc..

Guy D'ageradar
24th Nov 2007, 10:15
thanks tbaylx, obviously things could change overnight but let's hope not!:ok:

Gulfstreamaviator
24th Nov 2007, 10:25
Apart from the usual runaround, getting blood test, eye test, and spelling test, not a major problem.
You keep your old licence.

glf

Gp Capt Bhanerjee
24th Nov 2007, 10:41
From Indian side I am in position to say that India is disappointed to be not in famous list. My cousin brother invested Rs 2,500 in excellent driving licence from some fellow outside police station in Chapatipatnam but despite being original copy this document was not accepted by reciprocal authorities in Dubai. What to do?

wafflebottom
24th Nov 2007, 15:01
In Fujairah, british ex-pats (of which I am one) do not have to take the driving lessons and test, an american collegue had to do both!

Guy D'ageradar
25th Nov 2007, 11:07
10 Dhs a month isn't too bad - it's only been 7 years - could be easier than heading back to UK to get that one back first.

Sharklet
29th Oct 2011, 19:52
Hi guys. Can someone tell me the procedure to swap a European driving licence in a UAE driving licence? Is it just paperwork?

Guy D'ageradar
30th Oct 2011, 06:30
It's much more streamlined than before - took me all of 10 minutes when I did mine. Yes, it's just paperwork.

Sharklet
30th Oct 2011, 06:42
Thanks for the info. Is there any website where I can get this info? Can it be done prior to reaching there or can I only do it once in the UAE?

FlyTCI
30th Oct 2011, 06:57
The biggest hassle when converting a US or approved EU license to UAE is that you first have to apply for a UAE ID card, unless you don't already have it. It's required to get the drivers license.

As said above, getting the actual license takes only ten minutes or so.

Rule3
30th Oct 2011, 17:59
It is not automatic, it depends on which European Country.

Sharklet
30th Oct 2011, 21:03
Well I have a Spanish driving licence. Would they accept an international driving licence by chance?

Earl
31st Oct 2011, 04:19
When I arrived there in the UAE 2008.
I had my USA license translated , applied for a UAE license they automatically gave me the car and motorcycle endorsement that was listed on my USA one.
As someone said just a paperwork issue.
Not a big problem.
i never had an international Drivers license ,,but when I finally got my resident visa I had to get this UAE license as car rentals would no longer rent to me as they did before.

Guy D'ageradar
31st Oct 2011, 05:53
The international license will have been issued based on your Spanish one - so they'll need that. International one is only good here for driving rental cars BEFORE you get a residence visa.

Sciolistes
31st Oct 2011, 05:56
The biggest hassle when converting a US or approved EU license to UAE is that you first have to apply for a UAE ID card, unless you don't already have it. It's required to get the drivers license.
A very recent change? My wife had no problem two months ago. 10 mins and she walked out with the UAE jobby with just the Ressy Visa.

FlyTCI
31st Oct 2011, 06:20
Maybe I was misinformed but had to do that both for myself in March and in September for my wife. All of my colleauges had to do this too. :confused:

Dubaian
31st Oct 2011, 11:02
My UAE licence was issued in 1981 - that's almost pre-computer days. But they still have the records. If/when they ask if you have previously held a UAE Driving Licence don't lie - they will check. They will give you a temporary licence while they check for any unpaid fines from way back when..... after all is cleared they issue a new licence with an up-to-date photo. No charge. Recently got an expired UAE licence extended in Aubu Dhabi Traffic Dept. - 10 mins in and out. Some things do work well out here.:D:D:D

But you cannot do it on-line - you have to be there to be photographed.

Sharklet
31st Oct 2011, 13:21
Thanks for the info guys. Anyways, I got my international driving licence today so hopefully that shouldn't cause much problem for the short-term.