PDA

View Full Version : Pay - (or 'bash' the cabin crew)

WelshCityFlyer
10th Oct 2001, 20:42
Crash Barrier

From your question on the Cabin Crew Pay thread, (I was a little too late replying):

Neither, actually!!

Having experienced commercial aviation, I have ABSOLUTELY no desire at all to ever want to become a commercial pilot: I am near completion of my instructors licence - YES I'm one of these 'strange' people who would like to instruct others, as opposed to sitting at the pointy end of a big metal tube all day, 'flying' it!!

The only reason I even bothered to respond to the above thread is this:- Out of ALL replies posted, I only ever observed the pilots, (and others), 'bashing' the cabin crew, (plate thrower, etc.. etc..), never the other way around. Doesn't that tell you something?

This subject was initiated sensibly, the theme being to debate cabin crew pay. What do certain individuals do to contribute?? - the same as normal - insult the cabin crew, for DARING to suggest a pay rise may be in order.

So no, Crash Barrier, I am not a 'failed' pilot - rather, one who is enjoying myself with the type of flying I happen to partake in - I 'biscuit chuck' momentarily, along with various other activities, for my own personal reasons.

To end, Crash Barrier, (and like minded), you have destroyed the subject matter of what should have been a decent thread, instead of leaving it to the genuine individuals who would have liked to contribute to the said title, which was Cabin Crew Pay - NOT 'insult the CC'

Try and find something else to amuse yourselves with, the next time a decent discussion comes along, so the rest of us can debate it skillfully

WCF

Jungle Strip
10th Oct 2001, 22:25
WCF: Nicely -- and bravely -- put. Takes some b*lls to utter the heresy that maybe not all pilots are demigods in intelligence and achievement, deserving of a stratospheric salary.
Like you, on a lower level, I am a PPL and I love my flying. I also (tace your instructing) have no desire to do it professionally. I have had the opportunity and declined.
As cabin crew, one of the things I find hardest is being assumed to be a cretin, and treated accordingly, by people whose intellect I find it hard to respect. Yes, some pilots are little short of geniuses (I work long-haul; three cheers for the old, disappearing Renaissance Men!), but that is aside from their jobs. Others are complete fools. I should know, I've been stuck in countless downroute bars with jet jockeys who can't string a sentence together, with or without beer, and struggle with the most basic concepts.
Let's face it, commercial flying is a skilled job, but it's not brain surgery. Anyone with a certain aptitude can do it. If that outrages you, dear reader, maybe you're in flying for the wrong reasons.

A diversion, and nothing much to do with cabin crew pay, or the knocking thereof. But the previous thread turned into a comparison, and the truth is that the comparison does lurk constantly, under the surface. I would never expect to be paid as much as an F/O. Pure economics dictate that. But I am neither cretin, himbo nor phillistine and am heartily tired of the assumption to the contrary. Even when it comes to pay. (See Flaps40's articulate posting on the matter in the earlier thread) Thankyou and, for now, Goodnight.

Right Way Up
10th Oct 2001, 23:48
A bit of reality for everybody. Chain of command is 1. Capt 2. First Officer 3. Flight Engineer 4. CSD/IFS 5. Purser and so on. Its written up in our SEP and Ops manual. Therefore following pay vs responsibility, wages should reflect this hierachy. However in most companies cabin crew are treated as second-class citizens. The gap between first officer and IFS can be ridiculous. One skill that seems to be missed by most egotistical pilots/beancounters/etc is that cabin crew are the FRONT-LINE. They may be waitresses that are unlikely to have the chance of saving your life, but they do determine whether a lot of passengers will return to your airline.

AMEX
11th Oct 2001, 04:43
This is how I did it. Worked as a pilot in a far away country, came back home and whilst waiting for things to improve, worked as Check-in agent. After a while I moved to BA as cabin crew before I resigned to work once again as a pilot. It's just a quick run down but it helped me to see/understand few things.
-Firstly and sadly there is a lot of arrogance in the industry. Some CC don't talk to ground crew, the same way some pilots ignore CC. Because Ground staffs are not that different, some will play the same game and make CC,PAX lives a little bit less easy than they diserve. The usual "them" and "us" if you will.
What stroke me is how ignorant about the others we can be. I actually had more than one giggle watching narrow minded, selfish, ignorant members of the Ground staffs, CC, Flight crew not interact but counteract with each other. So funny because so pathetic but
what those individuals never realised it that we all have an important role to play. We are a team than can even be an intelligent and successfull one.
I also believe there is absolutely NO job or type of work which doesn't diserve some respect. They may all require various skills,whether they are technical or people orientated, in order to do the best job we can.
I am not saying we should all get the same salary since the market laws tend to determine that but what I am saying is that there is nothing wrong in opening our eyes, learning about the world/others and try to get on.

It's late, I am off to bed

Crash Barrier
11th Oct 2001, 11:33
WCF,

Fair enough, but my point has been proved. To instruct you need the CPL written examinations at least (that is before you start your instructors course) so in fact you 'are' taking your flying aspirations further at a 'commercial' level.

I stand by what I said, most if not all FA's with flying experience will use it as a stepping stone to Commercial flying.

flapsforty
11th Oct 2001, 15:39
AMEX, Words of wisdom mate!

--------------------

How fragile we are......................