PDA

View Full Version : Could You Do Your job Drunk?

BRL
23rd Nov 2007, 18:24
Last night at work I was chatting to a senior colleague about the 'good old days'. He came out with some cracking storys as they do and a few were related to the casual attitude of drinking on the job.

Years ago the railway industy was run on drinking, nowdays, you can't even look at a pub 12hrs before duty.

Anyhow, do you think you can do your job that you do now after a few beers, or a bottle of wine?

Saintsman
23rd Nov 2007, 18:41
These days I can't keep awake after a couple of beers or bottle of wine! :sad:

I too remember the days when you used to go to the pub (especially) on a Friday and have a few lunchtime drinks before going back to work. Totally frowned upon now and I suppose, just as well.

Tigs2
23rd Nov 2007, 18:50
When I was first commissioned, I still remember going to the mess for lunch now and again to see the ground trade officers having a couple of pints at lunch time.

Foss
23rd Nov 2007, 19:02
One company I worked was in a four storey building. The fourth floor was a proper bar, two bartenders, a pool table, access to a roof garden, and it opened at 3.00pm The boss had a walk in cupboard which full of booze. The deputy boss had a bar which really a very big hostess trolley. The managing director had very big walk in cupboard and he would nick a barman if there was a big do.
If you were working late, a bottle of beer would be placed in front you at your desk.
Outside fom the front door, straight in front 50 yards away, bar. Turn right, turn right again 70 yards, bar. Turn left 100 yards away, bar.
The three bars outside were nick named the Bermuda triangle, because if you went into the Bermuda triangle you were never seen again.

There was the odd drink taken by employees.
It affected them if they fell off their stools. which happened once in a while
Fos

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
23rd Nov 2007, 19:13
Drunk; defined as?

gingernut
23rd Nov 2007, 20:19
Remember my first client in cowboy country (Rochdale), used to always put a spoon of whiskey in me tea each morning.

Always kept me warm till dinner:)

I think generally, things were always a bit easier (work wise) 20 years ago. We didn't all have the "British Disease" - trying to cram more things in, in a shorter space of time.

Standard Noise
23rd Nov 2007, 20:32
Could I do my job drunk?
mmmmm, it might be a bit messy, you know, aluminium showers forecast and all that. But as long as I could speak, oh God yeah.

I have worked at places where people were known to come in of a weekend morning after a session the night before. Eyes like pissholes in the snow, that sort of thing. Ah, the good old days.

Evening Star
23rd Nov 2007, 20:39
Yes. Do you think the students at the Ivory Tower will notice what state I am in?:\

redsnail
23rd Nov 2007, 20:51
Standard Noise, let TCAS sort it out. :ok:

Could I do my job drunk? Hmm. Depends on how drunk... Smashed, no way. Stick the wing into something. Happy? Yeah if I was non flying pilot.

Would I do that? Nope.

con-pilot
23rd Nov 2007, 21:18
MEMO To all employees.

As all of you are aware I have always striven to provide a stress free friendly work environment. I believe that a happy employee is a good employee and a good employee is a happy employee. With this in mind I have noticed that a few folks here could be accused of somewhat abusing the company alcohol policy.

Now I understand a Bloody Mary first thing in the morning, got to get the old eyes open in the morning and get the heart pumping. And what the heck, a nice stiff shot of brandy in the coffee during the morning can't be all that bad. Of course the three martini lunch is standard fare. A few beers in the afternoon sure helps me as well as everyone else.

But, this constant sip, sip, sip all day must stop.

Thank you, the owner.

Load Toad
23rd Nov 2007, 21:46
Well - being self employed and having several different 'jobs' I could say that if I'm writing or trying to create or develop an idea then a bottle of wine or a few beers certainly helps. With the idea - not much good to write drunk - you won't get much of value done.
I also have to take clients out and entertain them - in which case we tend to get very, very drunk at the very, very least.
But if I have to attend a meeting, negotiate a contract or visit a factory or solve problems or such I have to be absolutely stone cold sober or I'd be a load of pants.
The stuff that really earns me money - I have to be sober for.

rotornut
23rd Nov 2007, 22:02
I believe Churchill liked his cognac quite a bit - on and off duty. Also, our first prime minister, Sir John A. Macdonald was quite a drinker. He once gave a whopping good speech in the House of Commons while he kept filling his glass with a clear liquid that definitely wasn't water!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
24th Nov 2007, 00:01
I'd probably do mine better :(

GrumpyOldFart
24th Nov 2007, 00:27
GBZ:

Drunk; defined as?

When lying on the floor, you have to hold on.

:uhoh:

JackHowe
24th Nov 2007, 00:49
Workers in the Odense Glass(blowing) Works were supplied with beer from the local brewery to replenish the fluid lost through perspiration whilst working in the high temperature near the furnaces.

tony draper
24th Nov 2007, 01:18
Sixties and seventies most chaps out on the road ie service engineers deliver van drivers and the like tended to pie and pint lunch hour,or if you worked the job right lunch three hours,some didn't even bother with the pie, also driving straight to the pub at the end of the shift was popular especially on a friday, changed when the breathalyser came in, though it generaly took a few of your workmates being nabbed breathalysed and sacked before the message got driven home.
Various jobs trades and professions had a tradition of drinking during working hours.
:cool:

Ixixly
24th Nov 2007, 06:22
At a restaurant i used to work at, there were these 2 typically aussie blokes out the back, worked in the kitchens at night, labouring in the mornings and fitted uni somewhere in between!!! Big boys, well tanned, aussie accent abounding.

Now it would hit 6pm and just before we started to get busy at least once a week they'd go out and buy a case of beer and by 9 or 10pm most of the case would be gone, and i kid you not they seemed to work better with those beers under the belt!! Of course if they were ever caught they'd be fired... i might also add i was the the manager at the time but so long as they were working harder...well who was i to argue ;)

Also i might add if it ever did get the point of being dangerous (Had a few stagger in off their face) they were turned right around and sent home, i would never permit anyone in who could not perform their duties!!

ShyTorque
24th Nov 2007, 09:47
I've had a couple of jobs where I must have been p****d to stay on so long....

Parapunter
24th Nov 2007, 09:54
it's a lovely idea. I'm gonna try it on Monday.

bnt
24th Nov 2007, 11:11
Great video that. I think I'd need to be drunk to pronounce Schenectady (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schenectady) properly. I'm sober now, but still had to look up the spelling. At least it's not Poughkeepsie. :bored:

Firestorm
24th Nov 2007, 11:11
I am crap enough at mine when sober, so maybe no one would notice if I was!

pulse1
24th Nov 2007, 11:34
I used to be Quality Manager for a company where the directors had a real drink problem. They started at about 10 am and, if you wanted any sensible decision you had to see them before that. After 10 am you tried to avoid them or they would have you at it as well. Some customers used to enjoy their visits and eventually learned to come by public transport if possible.

I went through one MoD (PE) quality assessment and the auditer was stoned by lunchtime on the first day. It was a complete farce.

In those days I sometimes wondered if my job would have seemed easier if I had joined in the drinking every day. I certainly hated the job when I was sober i.e most of the time.

alC
24th Nov 2007, 12:42
in Donaworth, Germany a couple of years ago, I was surprised to see good German beer available in the canteen.

I couldn't imagine it working at my place of employment.
No one seems to just go for a drink these days.
They'll all want to get hammered or wasted.

As for me? I sit on the floor giggling after a couple of whiskeys so I'd soon be signing on the dole. al

JackHowe
24th Nov 2007, 15:44
One is hearing on the wireless that heavy (and determined) consumption of alcohol is considered de rigeur among profession orchestra musicians.

ArthurR
24th Nov 2007, 23:08
Quick answer NO, but have sacked a few that have thought they could

Kiwiguy
26th Nov 2007, 03:06
About seven years ago baggage handling for Air NZ there were blokes who turned up to work at 5am absolutely legless drunk and they would operate belt loaders around aircraft.

Funny thing was the same old croak at Air NZ, John McGinley who tolerated drunks and dope heads at 5am would send sober blokes home if they forgot their earmuffs.

Safety issue you know.

Oh yeah and that was the other funny thing. Air NZ had guys without drivers licenses driving Harlans pulling barrows and other guys without truck licences doing aircraft pushbacks.

Air NZ was the total wild west and they compared well with another ground handler there called AGS.

The SSK
26th Nov 2007, 12:07
A journo in Brussels once told me the story of how they went to the law courts to cover a high profile trial, got there early and popped into a nearby bar for a coffee and a croissant, was surprised to see a well-dressed lady enjoying a Duvel (which in case you don't know it is a *very* strong beer) - at 8:30 in the morning.

In the courtroom, there she was again - the judge.

parabellum
26th Nov 2007, 12:33
When I worked for a large company in the City of London that provided free health insurance a part of the deal was that each year we would attend a half day seminar when doctors would talk to us about health in general and ways to ensure we didn't become too much of a burden on a free system, about the only thing we all remembered for days afterwards was this:

"If you can't remember the last day when you didn't have a drink then you may not be alcoholic but you definitely have an alcohol related problem"

Bugga!:=

(It wasn't a flying job, I was having a sabbatical).

sitigeltfel
26th Nov 2007, 12:49
Prerequisite for journalists?