PDA

View Full Version : A Licence

JSaeroengineer
23rd Nov 2007, 15:02
Hi all,
Just a quick question,
I'm doing the first of a two year A licence course at college, and was wondering what sort of money i would be on, and what responsibilities and supervision i would need when i go onto the line...
I won't have any types, just an A licence, but the licence would only become valid after a year on the line.
Obviously after i have experience i will go for my B licence... :ok:
Cheers Guys

Greeny9
23rd Nov 2007, 16:41
With an 'A' licence you don't get types. After you have been deemed competent you will be given company approvals for the tasks that you are able to self certify eg. wheel change, filaments, turnarounds etc.

Salary varies but a good ball park figure is probably about the £25K - £28K mark.

Your responsibilities vary with where you work. Too broad a spectrum to give a norm. Supervision wise, the tasks on your approval will be down to you! Other tasks you are given will be supervised by a 'B' licenced engineer.

WenWe
24th Nov 2007, 01:21
When you 1st start out (on the line or in the hangar) you won't have any certification priveledges - as your 'A' licence won't yet be valid.
In theory you also won't have any responsibilities, as the 'B' licenced Engineer who certifies your work ultimately carries the can - this would not excuse from any negligent act however.
You should expect +/- £20K at this stage of your career. The hardest part will be getting someone to take you on with no experience. I would advise you to bite the hand off anyone who offers you a job at this point, regardless of pay/prospects - as once you're on the inside your opportunities will increase tenfold.
After gaining your 'A' licence you will need to get company approval on whatever types your employer operates. This will involve your proving the relevant experience & under the current system your employer will need to provide you with documented training in those tasks.
The level of cover varies between companies, but you should expect something like preflight/daily/wheel & brake changes + cabin equipment changes.
Don't expect automatic progression to the next grade, but when you do - pay at this level should be in the high 20's/low 30's.
Guess you're at Northbrook? If so ask your instructors for contact details for the guys who have joined TCX this year, I'm sure they can give you the low down on the job as they see it.
Best of luck.

JSaeroengineer
24th Nov 2007, 17:54
Thanks for the help guys :)

spannersatcx
24th Nov 2007, 18:08
As a B licence 'only' requires a bit more study and involves the same modules why bother with an A licence at all go straight for the B?

JSaeroengineer
24th Nov 2007, 22:18
"As a B licence 'only' requires a bit more study and involves the same modules why bother with an A licence at all go straight for the B? "

I would go straight for the B license, but my college only does the A license course, and i can't find any airlines willing to take me on as an apprentice for the full B1.
Also, am i right in thinking that you need to be 21 to hold a B license? Or is that wrong?
Cheers

slapdash8
24th Nov 2007, 23:58
correct. you must be 21 at the date of issue of your b1 license

im coming across a couple of guys just opting for the a-license, who are lucky enough to be working in a hangar whilst at, or just finished college, and as its mostly a-checks, casualties and line work, they are laughing. as has been mentioned above though, if you are offered something, with your lack of experience, you have to go for it!

Engineeraaron
29th Nov 2007, 19:34
Hi, im one of the guys that have joined TCX this year from leaving northbrook, Send me a message if you want anymore info on the job!

WenWe
29th Nov 2007, 22:17
Indeed you are.
Now stop posting on here & get studying for your 'A' licence!

cambox
11th Dec 2007, 20:17
Go for the B as soon as you can! It is the only way you will earn the money to reflect the responsibility you carry within this industry!

If you want to earn some real money then train to be a plumber instead! The money is better and you put up with less S**T!!!

WenWe
12th Dec 2007, 00:21
Yes, maybe in the short term a plumber will earn more. But over the course of a career I doubt it. I also doubt that he'd get the chance to work all over the world & see some of the things I have.

The plumber that I use regularly (on a commercial basis) works 6 days a week, has his 1st appointment at 0700 & the last at 2000. He works all over S London & his travelling time is at his own expense. He pays for his own corgi courses (2 per year) & his own van. He lives in a house that's worth a lot less than mine & my car is a lot nicer.

I'm not trying to do the guy down - just observations that might show that the grass is not as green as it looks.

Pay for aircraft maint. might well not reflect the skill, knowledge & responsibility involved - but there are far worse jobs around. If you're that unhappy where you are now I suggest you move on, I don't hear too many people at our place (or the other similar ones nearby) moaning that they'd be better off as a plumber........

Anyway, back to the 'A' licence. Can't you take/hold it at a younger age & with less experience than a 'B'?

I stand by my comments, take the 1st licence you can hold & take the 1st job you can get. Then plan for the future. I've seen a lot of C.V.s lately & the guys that are in work & using a (A) licence come across a lot better that those with a 'B' & no experience.

Geezer7348
12th Dec 2007, 11:12
I'm doing the first of a two year A licence course at college,

Just out of curiousity is it a part time course you are doing?, I know there are some training providers who can offer the Category A course which is only 30 weeks + 4 weeks OJT.

mainwheel
12th Dec 2007, 12:58
JSa, and other wannabies.

I can't stress this too much. Do yourselves a really big favour and record 'all' your hours. Have a look at a pilots log book as an example. This is what is now happening in engineering and maintenance. Multi licenced engineers with 30+ years experience are being asked for proof of currency on type. We don't keep logs like pilots do, never been a real concern.

Now it is!!

A prop or an engine might come in a crate and need some assembly as well. Preparing the engine change cradle. This is part of an LAE's job, as he is responsible for it. Claim it.

Looking up an MM, IPC or an SB, all part of an LAE's job.

I once flew with Ray Miller in PNG. He was proud that he was in the top few at 33,000 hours. 16,000 alone on DC3's.

Work out 40hrs a week for 48 weeks a year working in a hangar and it adds up quickly.

Get whatever qualifications you can and work up from there. Having an A licence is better than having nothing. Some are dissapointed in the whole field and leave. Better to know sooner than later if the job suits you.

In reality experience is what a genuine employer wants, not licences with the ink still wet. Be nice if you have it all recorded!

Good lucks......

Start writing it down..................

JSaeroengineer
12th Dec 2007, 19:37
Cheers for all the replies...
and it's classed as full time, but it's only 3 days a week.
I know the aircraft maintenance field is for me! Just putting my overalls on makes me smile!
I'm imagining being a Licensed engineer is a bit more high profile than a plumber, if you know what i mean.
Heck, we've all gotta start somewhere!
:)

FHA
14th Dec 2007, 19:11
A lot of the plumbers (and builders) I've met seem to good at p#ssing their money away. Maybe that's why they seem less well off than licenced aircraft engineers.:confused:

Engineeraaron
14th Dec 2007, 19:21
Alot i know its all cash in hand too! no tax

garn
15th Dec 2007, 15:36
Hey what does everyone think to this?

It seems quite good seen as id like to move up the engineering ladder within the helicopter world.

Thoughts / views would be most appreciated!

http://careers.whl.co.uk/engineering-prog.htm

Many thanks,

james

VillWill
30th Dec 2007, 03:01
WenWe seems to have hit the nail on the head here, take hand and all of the first company that offers you a start.
I am currently A licenced and halfway through my B exams but when i left the company i trained with(hangar maintenance) i had just done my A exams and was waiting for experience time to expire so i could apply for the licence. I was lucky to get a job on Line work without the A but with the promise to the company that i would work my arse off( on bad pay to start with) and in return when i got my A i would be able to do preflights/dailys/wheels & brakes etc.
The point is i was so glad to just get the start, sometimes that is the hardest thing.
Best of luck with it and i wouldnt give my job up for anything, i enjoy every minute of it as im sure you will too.

shuchim
1st Jan 2008, 14:15
hi guys great news to hear that dgca is going to have car66 and car147 and alreay have car145 in 2008. can u pls tell what it have rules and we too going to have this kind of licence like B1 and B2 and r we eligible to work in EU.

spannersatcx
1st Jan 2008, 16:11
r we eligible to work in EU no. It's not a member state, companies/airlines can be EASA approved but that does not get you an EASA licence. The DGCA may adopt the EASA system as HKG has but that does not give you an EASA licence.

The only way you are going to get an EASA licence is to pass all the exams in a member state.

shuchim
2nd Jan 2008, 02:32
thanks spanner i think u have very much experience in aviation that why u know about many part of world and also about pilot .can u pls tell where u from and how much experience u have.its nice to have members like u for us like newbee .and how many paper do EASA have. in india we have 4 paper to work on jet engine and heavy aircraft .r those exam easy or tough than indian one.r they having question bank like FAA.

spannersatcx
2nd Jan 2008, 12:09
Aeroplanes Turbine-Engines (B1.1)
Module 1 Mathematics
Module 2 Physics
Module 3 Electrical Fundamentals
Module 4 Electronic Fundamentals
Module 5 Digital Techniques/Electronic Instrument Systems
Module 6 Materials & Hardware
Module 7 Maintenance Practices
Module 8 Basic Aerodynamics
Module 9 Human Factors
Module 10 Aviation Legislation
Module 11 Aeroplanes Aerodynamics, Structures & Systems
Module 15 Gas Turbine Engines
Module 17 Propeller

All info is available at the caa website, link for licence requirements (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/177/8355%20Section%20D_07.pdf)

www.airmech.co.uk has a lot of questions (you have to register).

30 years experience and still learning:)