PDA

View Full Version : Is Australia being used?

B A Lert
23rd Nov 2007, 10:20
I have nothing against Tiger per se but they are totally owned by a foreign entity. In its home country, Tiger doesn't show the National flag on its 9V- registered aircraft.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/middle/9/9/1/1197199.jpg

Why then do they, and presumably permitted to do so, carry the Australian flag on its VH- registered aircraft?

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/middle/1/4/7/1296741.jpg

Why do we in Australia allow our flag to be prostituted and be used almost as a Flag of Convenience? I wonder if Qantas owned 100% of Jetstar Asia would they be allowed to carry the Australian flag on a 9V- registered aircraft? As an alternative, why is Tiger allowed imply that it is Australian by displaying the Australian flag on its aircraft?

Lowkoon
23rd Nov 2007, 10:46
Ansett was 100% foreign owned, and pretended to be Australian. So was VB when it started. VH registered aircraft probably should be allowed to display the aussie flag.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20051215/biz2.jpg

You think if these two clowns sold up last year, they would have dropped all references to the 'spirit of Australia?'

Buster Hyman
23rd Nov 2007, 11:05
I assume you mean "doesn't" in your second sentence Lert?:confused:

Out of curiosity, do ships registered in Panama carry the Panamanian flag, or their parent company's?

(PS. Anyone else notice the subtle difference in the paintwork on the two aircraft?)

ABX
23rd Nov 2007, 11:13
Buster,

Out of curiosity, do ships registered in Panama carry the Panamanian flag...

Yep, they fly the flag they are registered under, although they may fly a company flag and other assorted (Navigation, distress, communication etc.) flags as the need may be, as well.

Anyone else notice the subtle difference in the paintwork on the two aircraft?

Red rim around the engine intake.

goodonyamate,

Its a pity the one on the left isnt behind bars...
:ok::D:hmm:

B A Lert
23rd Nov 2007, 11:18
Thank you Buster: I've corrected the deliberate error!! :ok: ;)

Goodonyamate - give ASIC time. Miracles do happen.:E:E

Romulus
23rd Nov 2007, 11:51
Quote:
Anyone else notice the subtle difference in the paintwork on the two aircraft?
Red rim around the engine intake.

Think you'll find that's not paintwork, it's the edge of the fabric intake cover.

QF22
23rd Nov 2007, 12:08
Sorry I don't have the time or inclination to check it out, but is it a regulatory requirement to display the Oz flag on VH reg A/C ? ? ?
I am sure one of our learned colleagues will know.

ABX
23rd Nov 2007, 12:09
Think you'll find that's not paintwork, it's the edge of the fabric intake cover.

Erm... :\

Thanks.

Romulus
23rd Nov 2007, 13:27
Quote:
Erm... :\

Thanks.

Slight advantage given that's the JHAS Tullamarine site and DC3 in the background....

Capt Claret
23rd Nov 2007, 15:02
(PS. Anyone else notice the subtle difference in the paintwork on the two aircraft?)

The top aeroplane is registered 9Y-TAA, whereas the bottom aircraft is VH-VNB, and, on the top aeroplane the wording goes from aft forward, whereas on the bottom it's forward aft. :p

Howard Hughes
23rd Nov 2007, 19:29
Originally Posted by Buster
The Aussie Tiger has bigger Testicles?;)

WannaBeBiggles
23rd Nov 2007, 19:32
Funny how using words such as "Australia" in as part of a company name can be regulated but the flag isn't....

Sunfish
23rd Nov 2007, 19:37
Why does the use of the Australian Flag matter in aviation?

Qantas - "I still call Australia home" - prostituted itself to American investors.

I happen to think that Tiger is doing Australia (and especially Melbourne) a favour by making it possible to avoid having to use Qantas and Jetstar and hopefully we will soon be able to fly Internationally without having to go via that ***hole called Sydney.

Moniker
23rd Nov 2007, 20:29
here here Sunfish! (but you can already head off o/s without leaving SYD - get one of the MEL_DRW or MEL_PER flights and then nick off to Singa's and beyond.)

As for the paint job - picking up on CC's obs; if you think about the paint work if it were forward to aft on the starboard side then it would be written backwards wouldn't it!

However Clarrie my dear, methinks it was the engine cover that the original Q was about.

lowerlobe
23rd Nov 2007, 20:37
Sunfish.....

I have no problems at all with competition and am no fan of Darth or his kissing partner in the slightest.

BUT.....Why is a foreign owned airline allowed to have OUR flag on it's aircraft???????

I'm positive that Singaporeans and their Government would not only be unimpressed but very vocal if Darth put the Singaporean flag on an Australian owned aircraft operating in Asia.

Frank Burden
23rd Nov 2007, 20:47
The spirit does not operate directly from Brisbane to where I want to go. If I want to use the spirit it is via Australia's major port including an uncomfortable bus ride (sometimes fuller than Capt Claret's wine glass) and down the sheep pens maintained by Department of Homeland (sorry, that's next week). Better to go straight from Brissy to a first world airport, walk around a very pleasant airport for two hours enjoying the orchids and shops, and a departure to the destination from the same terminal. Arrive at destination one to two hours earlier and much more refreshed. Full cost carriers need to compete on service on the ground as well as in the air. :p

SIUYA
23rd Nov 2007, 21:01
lowerlobe.............

Why is a foreign owned airline allowed to have OUR flag on it's aircraft???????

ummmm.............perhaps it's because the aircraft is Australian-registered? :}

captaintunedog777
23rd Nov 2007, 21:19
this would have to be one of the most stupid topics i have ever ever read. I hope this clown does not fly.

Buster Hyman
23rd Nov 2007, 21:39
Clarrie...very close to what I was thinking.

Howard...seriously mate, I worry about you. Is testicles the first thing you look at all the time???

No, what I was thinking was the tiger itself.

When Tiger first got approval/announced it's intentions (1st photo) it was jumping to the Right (Coalition). Now, its up & flying, (2nd photo) its jumping to the left....see, see? It's a Goddamn conspiracy! And today, of all days!!!:oh::=

SIUYA
23rd Nov 2007, 21:48
Geez captaintunedog777................

Bit of an anger management problem perhaps?

If you don't like the thread so much, then why bother reading it OR posting such a response? :ugh:

lowerlobe
23rd Nov 2007, 22:00
SIUYA.....

ummmm.............perhaps it's because the aircraft is Australian-registered?

ummmmm...That's right but my point was why then do the Singaporean registered aircraft not have their national flag on the 9V aircraft?

captaintunedog777......Tolerance of others thought's is a wonderful gift isn't it?

SIUYA
23rd Nov 2007, 22:22
lowerlobe.............

Not too sure why the Singapore-registered aircraft doesn't have the Singapore flag on it. Nationality flags don't get a mention in ICAO Annex 7.........only the nationality (or common) mark does (e.g., the 9V or the VH). :)

regitaekilthgiwt
23rd Nov 2007, 22:25
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm as mentioned before, the tiger is only going the other way because that is the other side of the aircraft. If the 2nd picture has been taken from the otherside, it would be facing in the same direction..:ugh::ugh:

FOG

&

PGIJ (Put Geoff In Jail)

Ex FSO GRIFFO
23rd Nov 2007, 23:26
G'day 'Buster',

I just dunno 'bout THAT!.......

I've already voted!!

AND......VH-ABR LOOKS B L O O D Y L U V L Y !!!

(The 'bold' and the 'Beautiful'....?):ok::ok:

B A Lert
24th Nov 2007, 01:06
QF22 asks

.... is it a regulatory requirement to display the Oz flag on VH reg A/C ? ? ?

I don't know but if it is a requirement, many QantasLink and REX aircraft are not compliant, and perhaps many other RPT operatrors. It seems to me that the use of the national flag in this day and age is indiscriminate. I bettcha in yesteryear that neither TAA nor ANA carried the Australian flag as neither was the designated flag carrier - it was Qantas.

No obvious flags here:

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/middle/8/6/4/1188468.jpg

or her:

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/middle/2/7/1/1264172.jpg

All very nostalgic!

flyingfox
24th Nov 2007, 01:54
I'm an 'old time' sort who thinks Singapore shouldn't be allowed to operate in our domestic market. They don't have one of their own to swap with Australian carriers, so we should only have 'international' agreements with any Singapore carrier. They have been dying to get into the Aus market for years, and wish to do so before their 'hub' value diminishes. With new generation long range aircraft offering direct flights to Europe and North America, Singapore will become just another Asian destination for Aus carriers of the future. However they will already own 'rights' to fleece our domestic industry. More profits for a foreign nation using our markets. (You can double their money if you use Optus as well.) The UAE will be the next carrier wanting to put a domestic operation into Australia. What internal domestic market will they offer us in exchange? Sold up the river again!

SIUYA
24th Nov 2007, 02:46
Here goes.............

(captaintunedog777..............you can ignore this, OK? :})

CHICAGO CONVENTION:
ARTICLE 17: Aircraft must have the nationality of the State in which they are registered.

ARTICLE 20: Every aircraft engaged in international operations shall bear the appropriate nationality and registration markings.

As I tried to indicate in my previous post (#23), Annex 7 includes no requirements for an aircraft to have any nationality marking other than the nationality (common) marking referred to.

Now, if you look at the principles to be observed by States,an interception of an aircraft will be limited to determining the identity of the aircraft, unless it is necessary to return the aircraft to its planned track, direct it beyond the boundaries of national airspace, guide it away from a prohibited, restricted or danger area or instruct it to effect a landing at a designated aerodrome. (Refer Annex 2).

So it seems to me like that may be where the idea has come from to put the State of Registration's national flag on the tail of an aircraft in order to assist in identifying the nationality of an aircraft, particularly if it's engaged in international operations, and may therefore be subject to intercept by another State's military aircraft.

I'm probably wrong, but that's my 'best guess'. :confused:

Buster Hyman
24th Nov 2007, 03:36
If the 2nd picture has been taken from the otherside, it would be facing in the same direction..
Nooo...are you serious? Can they do that these days, or do you reckon it was Photo shopped?

Ansett, from memory, didn't have the flag on their jets (2nd last livery excluded) until they began flying Internationally. I think that most people, like me, are remembering the old term "flag carrier", which was, perhaps, designated by someone in a big office, earning a lot of money & doing diddly-squat!

ARTICLE 20: Every aircraft engaged in international operations shall bear the appropriate nationality and registration markings.
Ahh, so maybe the first photo was a Tiger Domestic SIN aircraft only???

(That one is a joke too regitaekilthgiwt...no need to correct me there either!):rolleyes:

SIUYA
24th Nov 2007, 05:35
Buster................

Ahh, so maybe the first photo was a Tiger Domestic SIN aircraft only???

Yeah, sure, it's the Tiger A320 that operates the Changi to Seletar air service..............but I've got a sneaking suspicion that it maybe quicker (and more convenient) trip by cab though! :}

bushy
24th Nov 2007, 08:24
Qantas aircraft carry an english blue ensign with stars on it.
That's probably why they also carry the word 'Australia"

regitaekilthgiwt
24th Nov 2007, 22:54
Buster :confused: Ummmmmmm U asked the question, gave an answer, :confused: whats the difference then :confused: :confused: oh. don't be shy..;)

:ugh::ugh:

FOG PGIJ

ALSO....

I hate to say it but I think Qantas is going the way of the liberals. They were once the best thing to get behind, but stupid ideas - ie treating the staff like crap and then that attitude eventually coming through to the passengers - is similar to workchoices. Seems like a good idea at the time, but as a result because of no consolation with anyone else, it is a terrible plan. As with workchoices and the liberal government, the management in Qantas are far too arrogant to see it, until it is way too late. Relevance to this thread? Well I think tiger might be a bit like Rudd and come in and bite Qantas on the arse when they least expect it - very quickly. I already know a couple of mainline guys who are so fed up with Qantas they are going to Tiger, admittedly they are ex Ansett but if guys within a year or two of promotion to FO in Qantas are leaving, whats that say about the state of the organisation? And this attitude has, will and is flowing onto passengers/service standards/the legacy of the company...So please to the new Chair, learn from past mistakes and get rid of Dixon and get some fresh ideas. He is way past his use by date.

Kanga767
28th Nov 2007, 12:25
If you look out the window in row 6 of either side, your face is where the Tiger's bum is.

:p K