PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue Interviews

smile
6th Oct 2001, 03:57
Does anyone know what Virgin Blue look for in their Cabin Crew??? I have just received my rejection letter from them and immediatly set about ringing up the people I swapped phone numbers with on the day. Well to my surprise not one of these people received a call back either!!!

Now this group of people make up a slightly motley crew --- some young, some old, some quite, some bubbly, some expereinced and some wannabees-- so surely there would be at least one who would meet their criteria!!

So now you can understand my curiosity!!!

I don't need any sympathy over this as I only applied to VB because I heard Qantas won't be recruiting again until the end of next year(is this true??), and they are who I really want to work for!! But still my curiosity runs rampant!!!

MT Edelstone56
6th Oct 2001, 05:54
Hi Smile,
not sure of the criteria but of the many ex-AN girls who have missed out I finally met a girl yesterday who was successful.She was ex FlightForce(casual) <21yo,not bubbly or over the top,pleasant nature.I will have to say though,she was stunningly attractive.She had one interview & said it was a breeze.
Good luck with QF and the career path it offers.

Sonique
6th Oct 2001, 06:38
Smile,

I dare say you are also one of the pretty, talented and ethical people out there who deserve a cabin crew job just like me....I have the same question re virgin blue....the thing with Virgin is that by 2005 they will have interviewed nearly every australian citizen, meaning that for the few positions available they interview hundreds of people and reject them all.

As far as I can tell they are looking for people who can manicure their nails well, face paint, sell virgin merchandise in-flight, sing and preferably have no " credible " customer service experience. It seems they are not interested in anyone who may appear traditionally " professional " in an airline type of way...........it's all about their Virgin culture which they believe cannot be practiced by any other airline staff wanting to work for them.

I still want to work for them and some may call me bitter...and I am ! only because just like you, I have so much to give and get frustrated at how they treat everyone who wants to work for them.

Virgin Smirgin....... :rolleyes:

smile
6th Oct 2001, 07:27
Sonique thanks for the compliment but.... you forgot to mention that we are also passionate, professional(without being intimidating), and just want to fly.

I was interviewed with a couple of ex-Ansett employees and not one of them made it through. I feel for them as some feel as though they are getting the run around-- they feel that the only reason they are being offered interview positions in the first place is because of good PR. I am not in the position to comment-- but I have become friends with these people and I can assure you that they are some of the most wonderful people i have ever met. Everything I would have thought to be a 'criteria' for Cabin Crew.

Well I beleive everything happens for a reason, so I guess I am not ment to fly for VB-- oh well.

But..... does anyone know when Qantas will start recruting for Australian Airlines??

cabinboy
6th Oct 2001, 08:17
Smile,

I also heard the same thing " internally " about QF recruitment not being until end of year 2002, it's all a bit crazy at the moment. A close mate of mine who I work with at QF was waiting for 5 months after his 3rd interview to hear something, 2 weeks ago he got his rejection letter after 5 months of not knowing a thing, it's pretty depressing really...But...what can you do !

As for Australian Airlines there will be no recruitment until the " proposal " is approved by QF for the low cost operation, the management team at Australian are still putting the proposal together and when it does come time for the recruitment it will be done by Australian and not Qantas ( I belive the proposal is to be submitted by end october ). I am also told that QF staff will not be able to just simply transfer across to AA as it a seperate airline but just owned by QF - similar to Air NZ and Freedom Air in that you can't just transfer.

Maybe you and I should pack our little brisvegas butts up and try for cabin crew with emirates or something ! It seems VB don't want me either, although.. I was interviewed a long long time ago and things have changed since then with my experience.....but I just can't score a second chance for another interview !

Cabinboy :)

smile
6th Oct 2001, 09:06
Cabinboy,

If I read correctly you already work at QF. Well then I would gladly swap my job for yours. ( Although I am guessing that you may not work in cabin crew.) Still one foot in the door is better than nothing!!

I'm hoping that when you said that the 'proposal' for AA will be out at the end of Oct you meant this year, because that makes recrutment a little closer that I thought. ( should i guess middle of next year?)

As for Virgin, well I guess i was a little relieved. My dealings with them over the last week have been alittle less than professional. I was willing to put that down to the restlessness in the industry, but a few others have told me this is usual. For example my interview was last Thursday week, my rejection letter was dated the following Monday, but i was called on the wednesday to see if I had been to an interview yet....

Anyway I don't think that red lipstick is my colour!!!! :p

Mr Seatback 2
6th Oct 2001, 11:15
You're probably right smile - red lipstick may well not be your colour!!! And correct me if I am wrong - but facepainting is not what I call a 'skill' - when was the last time you saw this being offered at TAFE???

I imagine with all the goings on in the industry that Australian Airlines may well recruit by the start of next year?? CabinBoy would probably know more, since he's with QF and knows ALL the goss!!

That, combined with the surplus in aircraft by many of the worlds airlines - BA included - could well mean that QF start things up pretty quickly (if you can't get a seat domestically, you may as well go internationally, no???) And why not - considering Australian want to fly to destinations unable to be served by QF Long Haul profitably - such as Greece, Malaysia, and cities like Fukuoka, Jakarta, Shanghai, Vancouver, etc.

Sorry to hear about your experience with VB smile - even I've been through it (twice now) and the people I have seen them take don't have many redeeming features (well, they are very attractive, but who's surprised here??)

One thing I'd like to know - with Ansett in the state that it is, who's going to do the EP training for VB crew? VB crew trained at the Ansett facility (which, dare I say, is closed down till further notice) - so would they in fact train at QF's Melbourne facility? Or is the AN Astrojet Centre still open for business??

Ditch
6th Oct 2001, 13:22
Virgin Blue do their own training, including EPs. They don't need other airlines to help them anymore. The only VB school that was trained using the Ansett facility was the initial school over 12 months ago.

Its obviously time for everyone to stick it into poor old Virgin Blue again :rolleyes:

smile
6th Oct 2001, 18:03
Hi Ditch, this thread isn't a 'stick it to Virgin' thread, so I'm sorry if it came across that way. Besides after being a member on this site for a couple of months now, I feel that each airline gets their fair share of 'sticking to'.

As for the comments about the people who do get through the interviews, it's only natural for humans to compare themselves to those who are more 'successful' (??) in certain situations in order to assess thier own shortcomings. I guess maybe the looks of the average VB cabin crew seem to stick in peoples minds!! :cool:

Ditch
11th Oct 2001, 05:22
Smile..I understand that your original post was not directed at bashing Virgin Blue, and my comments were not directed at you. I wish you all the luck in this world towards securing your dream job...If I was a Cabin Crew manager I would give you a job on determination alone. My comments were directed at the usual suspects (2 in particular) that always end up being VERY critical of Virgin Blue with their constant snide remarks, not only on this thread but others previously. TO THOSE SUSPECTS, you may be Flight Attendants, while others are not. Be grateful you are where you are, and concentrate on your career with your airline, and stop bashing someone elses airline who they may be proud to work for.

Try to help those who wish to be where you are, and get it into your heads that you are damn lucky. ;)

Good luck smile with your career. :)

[ 11 October 2001: Message edited by: Ditch ]

Vertigobabe
11th Oct 2001, 07:08
Smile,

No-one can really say what Virgin Blue are looking for, but they do have some very consistant features.
1. Most of them are beautiful
2. Most of them are young and silly
3. Most of them are not very bright :o
4. Most of them are willing to make fools of themselves over the PA, sing and dance, scrub the dunny :eek: and sell the tacky merchandise.

A close friend of mine was just offerd a position with Emirates and just before that Qantas...but...virgin sent her out the rejection letter. The mind boggles :rolleyes:

To those of you who missed out on Virgin Blue, don't worry, it's probably a compliment. Besides, alot of people have the feeling they won't be around much longer because their parent company is a basket case. :eek:

Theo Racle
11th Oct 2001, 10:40
I'd be interested to see just how Firewall_999 conducted his/her survey and managed to meet most of the Virgin Crews. I think that perhaps the post should read:

1. Most of them are far better looking than ours (sob...sob...)
2. Most of them are young and eager to explore the world and have fun
3. Most of them are very good at putting people at ease and willing to learn
4. Most of them are here to have fun, undestand what the Virgin Blues target market are after and havent yet been infected with the "screw 'em for all you can get" mentality apparent in other airlines.

Those with a "holier than thou" attitude need not apply it would seem.

[ 11 October 2001: Message edited by: Theo Racle ]

smile
11th Oct 2001, 10:48
Ditch, thanks for wishing me luck!!! And I too wish that determination was a criteria, I would have been offered a job a long time ago!!!

Firewall, I guess your friend and I are prime examples of the difference between what Qantas and Virgin are looking for in crew. I made it through to the third interview with Qantas earlier in the year ( but I wasn't offered a position), yet I can't get a look in after the first interview at Virgin. Maybe I should just be patient and wait for the airline I really want to work for!! ;)

cabinboy
11th Oct 2001, 11:07
Hi Smile and fellow ppruners,

Yes I am with QF but only on the ground taking phone reservations. I applied thinking that it may be a foot in the door and a chance to learn a lot more about the industry. Unfortunetly 16 months later it becomes clearer every day that I am transferring no where! I am honestly stuck, and in hindsight I feel as though I may have had a better chance with VB if I didn't have Qantas as a employer beside my name - maybe VB think that I think I am " holier than thou ".......I can tell you I do not think that and get upset at the thought of being stereotyped.

I know I am lucky to even have a job but sitting down for 8 hours a day wasn't the plan, running around madly serving coffee/tea to varied passengers with 3am starts was the plan ! I am 22yrs old and have the food&bev and face to face experience as well as the young funky virgin look, I also have an understanding for the virgin culture and what they are about..

Maybe some VB staff could offer some advice as to what they DO look for, instead of specualtion which is currently being offered on this topic. :)

Cabinboy
P.S - Smile, perhaps you and I can streek naked through the Virgin head office to get their attention or something :D If you are game then I am ...email me !!

Wirraway
12th Oct 2001, 09:24
Cabinboy

I don't know how many times you tried for
VB, but I do know that people have got in
on their 3rd and 4th attempt, many of their
F/A's are ex Sheraton and other 5 star hotel
employees as well as ex nurses if that helps,
as the old saying goes,"If at first you don,t
succeed, try, try again" good luck in future.

Wirraway

SPICEBOY
12th Oct 2001, 23:17
Smile: Don't worry.Just keep trying cos what's meant to be blah blah.I'd been trying for six years to get in as cabin crew when eventually EK of all people gave me a break (ok so it was just after the gulf war and they may have been desparate). Five years with EK didn't mean a jot with BA and others with more experience than myself also got canned. What I'm trying to say to you and cabinboy is DON'T give up!There is always someone who will recognize your talents and make use of them.You don't want to do face painting anyway;the pay's no good. ;)

smile
13th Oct 2001, 12:25
Cabinboy, If we streak naked through the VB headoffice, will we have the word 'Virgin' strategically placed on certain parts of our bodies.... or maybe pictures of Sir Richard smiling!!! :D

cabinboy
18th Oct 2001, 08:52
Remembering that I am " male " smile will probably help in the streeking situation ! I think all eyes would be on you girlfriend ! :D

I heard today that DJ are recruiting in MEL and that they receive 200 applications EACH DAY for cabin crew.

No wonder they haven't even looked at my application on the staff.cv website.

dreams
18th Oct 2001, 10:44
Hey guys, well i have just had a Vb interview on tue and i think it went well, but from what i have read on here i don't feel very confident anymore :(
dreams

[ 18 October 2001: Message edited by: dreams ]

cabinboy
18th Oct 2001, 11:39
dreams - keep your chin up, you haven't been told the outcome yet !....stay positive :D

Dreams do you have previous f/a experience ? Whats your background ?

smile
18th Oct 2001, 12:49
Yeah Dreams keep your chin up--- someone has to get the job!!! If you are successful and have to move to Brisvegas let us know and we can show you around!! :D

dreams
18th Oct 2001, 14:21
Aww, gee.. Thanks guys. I will let you know as soon as i know the outcome of the int.
I havnt had F/A experience, Ive got a travel course and Loads of customer exp. I've also had 2 Qantas int. B4 also.
Smile, what was your int. like with V/B?? :)

smile
18th Oct 2001, 14:41
Dreams, my VB interview was certainly different. Very, very casual. It only lasted about one hour and consisted of a 20 minute speil from the interviewers about Virgin, then we did the 'ole introduce yourself, then we were divided into two groups, we had to pick a couple of objects from the table and compose a song to advertise Virgin. Then we were allowed to ask any questions we had!!!

No one checked my certification, (I put copies in my resume though) and other than answering any questions I had, I never got the chance to talk personally to the interviewers which i was a bit disappointed about.

But oh well, I'm just waitng for QF or Australian Airlines!! :D

dreams
18th Oct 2001, 14:58
Thanks smile, mine was very similar, we had the info on virgin, but we didn't introduce ourselves, we split up into two groups and had to do the song, and then we were in pairs and had to find another use for a particular item and they just watched that. Then that was it. There were heaps of ansett girls in our group what about u? Did they let u know how long u were to wait before u heard anything? They told us 2-3 weeks!!! :)

smile
20th Oct 2001, 04:48
Dreams, they told us to wait 2-3 weeks before we heard from them also, but my interview was on the Thursday and my letter was dated the next Monday. Yeah and there were a few ex-Ansett, out of the ones that I swapped phone no's with none were offered a second interview!! :(

dreams
20th Oct 2001, 13:39
hey smile, Its a bit weird that there not even accepting ansett girls, don't ya think???? Did the other girls get there letters the same day u did. I had mine on tue gone and haven't heard anything yet..but u never know do ya? Have u had any interviews with any other airline..my qantas ones were so different to Vb ones. They were total opposite... Do u know any one that has got further with the Vb interviews. Have you applied to Emirates?? I know a girl that has gone to emirates after the ansett thing and she misses home but loves it!!!
dreams :)

21st Oct 2001, 16:52
;) where were you all when Mr Seymour was doing the same thing when he recruitted for his NJS girls? And why is it that we dont hear alot about the fact that it was only until app.15 months ago NJS recruitted their first male F/a?? Are we all frightened to admitt the truth, VB crew some of experience, the rest want a start in the industry as did those before did them at NJS before they saw the oppertunity else where.

Kem
24th Oct 2001, 10:45
Smile, hang in there - probably better off not getting into Virgin Blue anyway. Keep bugging EK - you'll get there, persistence and all that. Am not impressed with Virgin Blue. Didn't make the cut after first interview but got a phone call a few weeks later asking me to go for a THIRD interview. Honest little me says well that's interesting since I never had a SECOND interview. After being put on hold for about 15 minutes (no exaggeration) am told I am being considered for a ground position when I specifically ticked "no" in the box on the form asking if I wanted to be considered for ground crew jobs. No apology, no explanation just a very abrupt clueless staffer on the other end of the line. Very unprofessional. Bring back Impulse! :eek: :eek: :eek:

cloud nine
24th Oct 2001, 14:01
KEM....LOL when I read your message...maybe you were so good at interview 1 that you were instantly progressed to interview 3!!!!! The mind really does bogell huh????Honestly....you have to laugh huh?
BISCKET CHUCKER....Is this true that VB are recruiting again on the 30th? Where did you hear this. I have applied through staff cv, but havent heard a thing...I cant understand why. I thought my application was pretty cool, other airlines have accepted it.

smile
24th Oct 2001, 14:20
HI Biscuit Chucker, we haven't spoken in a while, how are you going? It's probably true that VB are recruiting again on the 30th. In fact I think that they are always recruiting! Everytime I log onto cabincrew.cv they are doing another search for applications--- I would love to know what their HR expenditure is!!!!

Dreams.... any news on your application. Maybe the fact that they have taken so long to get back to you is a good sign!!!

Cloud nine..... what special thing did you do to your resume on cabin crew.cv to make all the airlines love it? :confused:

dreams
24th Oct 2001, 15:33
Smile..Well still no word..maybe soon...just have to think i've survived another day!!! But then i may get a letter still.

Biscuit where did u see that they are recruiting on the 30th??
:)

cloud nine
24th Oct 2001, 16:52
SMILE....I have yet to work out a special formular on my staff cv application. ( when I do I will fill u in..lol)I meant all the other airlines have me on file with the same CV ie Emirates,AZ ect. So far I have only applied to 1 airline on staff cv and that is VB. And still no contact....cant work it out??? It is making me a bit worried hearing that basically everyone else in Australia has been to at least 1 VB interview...cept little old me!!!!
If this is true that they are again recruiting on the 30th, they dont have long to contact me!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think the starting wage is only $26,000 for VB. If I ever do get in, I will be taking a MAJOR paycut, and have to change my living and lifestyle in a massive way!!I will do it, but sometimes wonder if I should just hang out a bit longer and wait for QA or Emirates. I have inside info on QA that as of Jan 2001 they are putting 2 new aircraft in the air every month untill there is 15 new planes in the sky. They are mainly focusing on domestic next year. Im hoping they will recruit early next year again.
DREAMS....cant wait to hear how you went with VB, hopefully good news...fingers crossed for you. PS...I am milo747 on the other forum! Just changed my screen name, still the same old desperate wanna be!!!!LOL

doohan
24th Oct 2001, 19:01
Yes... its true, Virgin Blue are interviewing on the 30th, my friend has his interview on that day. He applied for Virgin on the CV webpage on 21/09/2001.

Good Luck Maurice!!! and for whoever else that has an interview from this site... goodluck to you all!!

:) :) :) :) :)

smile
25th Oct 2001, 02:51
Cloud Nine... when did you put your application into VB. Try updating it and resending it to them, maybe it might be showing up as too old on thier files.

And as far as money issues with them... we were told at our interview that $24000 or $26000 (can't remember which one) is the starting pay with them but it is only for whilst you are trainig. Then when you are in the air you go up to about $36000 plus extras for o/nighters etc. Which isn't too bad. I'm guessing this is the pay structure that QF will take on for Australian Airlines?!?!?!

Theo Racle
25th Oct 2001, 03:16
The starting training wage is only while you are doing ground school I believe. Once you actually start line training you are on the full wage plus allowances so I'm told.

cabinboy
25th Oct 2001, 06:03
I am assuming you are all referring to recruitment for VB on the 30th of this month in " SYDNEY " ?? .......Smile - looks like you and I are counted out of this one !

Who here, who has applied through cabin crew staff cv has added their photo to the website? Just wondering if this has had any difference ? My friend who had an interview for cabin crew some weeks ago didn't have his photo on the site. I do have my photo on there and much more relevant skills for the position and wasnt invited, still not sure how that works? Anyway, he wasn't selected for a 2nd interview and now they keep calling him up every week asking him to attend another interview for different positions with VB which he doesn't want nor did he ask to be considered for ! go figure !

And yes QF are adding new a/c next year, still don't know if it's going to be the 738's or the A320's.....I received word 2 days ago that 2 new QF f/a schools are currently taking place at this very moment. ( most ex ansett ) ......you care to confirm biccy chucker ?

Hang in there guys, it's coming soon....we'll get there :D

dreams
25th Oct 2001, 06:48
Hey guys..well i hope everyone goes well with there interviews, still waiting i hope they haven't forgot me..i wonder why they take so long to get back to people?
I applied on staff Cv and didn't have a photo and got a interview...i'm pretty sure they did interviews in Brisbane then Melb and now i think its Syd.

cloud nine
25th Oct 2001, 07:28
Hi all,

All this talk of VB interviews!!! Sheisk!!! I had to call them to see what was the go!!! I rang them this morning, but was only "allowed" (???) to talk with reception. Anyway she said that in the next couple of weeks VB are recruiting fron SYD, for Brizzie based F/A. She said we will be contacted if CV is suitable. I reapplied about 2 weeks ago through staff cv. STILL NOTHING!!!!!! Honestly I cant understand why???? This is so frustrating for me. WHY DONT THEY LIKE MY CV??????? Agghhhhhhhh...."not happy jan!!!!!"

doohan
25th Oct 2001, 09:24
Cabin Boy, you are correct about the current training school that is happening as i am typing this. Though the majority of applicants are ex Flight Force (Ansett) who applied back in March and midyear!

Alot of my ex FF friends are in that school, unfortunately for them, they will be based in Melb. I'd settle for any base!

Also... i am not to sure if anybody could answer this for me, but here goes... back in March i attended the Qantas walk in interviews, i ended up getting through all 3 stages. Eventually they contacted my referees, (who gave me a huge rap) as well as having no problems with my Medical or security check, then to be issued with a letter 4 months later that i was unsuccessful at this occasion. I was pretty heart broken when i recieved that letter, but having said all that... it makes me even more determined for my next opportunity with QF!!!

Just wondering if anyone else has been in that situation, would love to hear your story!!!

Also... good luck everyone who is attending the up and coming VirginBlue interviews!! :D :D

cloud nine
25th Oct 2001, 09:54
DOOHAN!!!!...I hear you matey! Welcome to the QA rejection boat!! I had my first ever F/A interview with QA in June. Tuff? No way, I was breezing it through,much to my suprise after every interview. I couldnt beleive my luck, and was glad that they could see I have what it takes. 3rd interview, didnt do anything different to interviews 1 & 2, but then was walked out and given "that letter". My heart, face EVERYTHING dropped right on the floor. Devastation hit hard. It was the most awful feeling. So I totally understand how u would have felt, to get to the very very final stage.I met a girl at the QA interview and the same thing had happened to her Yep, twice she had gone and got the medical/police report and then received the "thanks but no thanks letter". How can they wait 4 months to let you know. That is just plain cruel. It shouldnt be allowed huh??? Most annoying thing is we get no feedback. They just say apply in another 6 months. Well correct me if Im wrong, but hey Im still going to be the same person in 6 months, same background, same skills, same personality!!! And same state of health and police history if I eva get that far. I have put it down to, that it totally depends on what interviewer you have on the day. You may remind them of someone that they dislike, so how can they warm to you if this is the case. My third interviewers, were older,very large woman, and I often wonder if sometimes being a slim,young,attractive female may have gone against me just a tad. Who knows???? The mind bogals huh. I dont want to sound paranoid, but the minuete I met the woman that gave me the 3rd interview she stared right in my eyes, and it was not a warm friendly stare. I was their last interview before lunch,mind u they were running 2 hours behind. Who knows, were they a little on edge as they needed a break????Did the big gals just need some re-fueling???I dont want to sound bitter, or like a sore looser, but I honestly believe, I didnt get a fair go. But hey, what can u do cept walk out with your head held high and keep trying.Its all part of the learning process.

doohan
25th Oct 2001, 11:53
Hey Cloud Nine, thankyou for sharing your experience. Its a horrible thought to be going through not knowing what you did wrong, and thats if you did anything wrong. Maybe we just didn't score enough points in the selection panel to qualify a spot on the short list. Having been a flight Attendant with FF (Ansett) for the past 14 months, and then to be thrown back in the que is quite depressing. But let me stress to you, throughtout my career in the Hospitality and airline industry, i have learnt one thing, and that is... believe in yourself, be persistant, take every nock back as a (it wasn't meant to be this time, it happend for a reason... maybe next time i'll have better luck...and to be even better prepared)

Just keep trying!!!
Cloud nine, throughout my 14 months of being a Flight Att, i will never forget coming back on the horror from Perth on Fri 14th Sept, when the Captain called us in the Flight deck to tell us, that we will be making history! we were the last Ansett flight coming into Sydney. I remember seeing the tears pour down from all our crew, who put on brave faces to do there safety demo, and to take care of the wonderfull pax we had on board the 767. From that moment i realised that my career was to be part of the aviation family. I will endeavour to keep trying until i am successful, whether it be with Qantas, Ansett or Virgin Blue.

Though my heart says Qantas!! :D :D :D

dreams
25th Oct 2001, 12:23
Hey doohan..i think i'm still getting over your situation with Qantas i would of been so depressed..but like u said we have to move on and hope for the best but i totally feel for you..i'm like cloud nine only i got to the second interview with Qantas and then the letter. I just hope not to get a letter from VB.
You's guys are really spesh..u keep me going with all ur support and i just hope that i can be here for all u's... :)
Good Luck everyone..maybe we will all fly together some day..now that would be FUN!!!! :D

smile
26th Oct 2001, 04:02
Hey Dreams, You have put a great idea into my head--- An airline run by Flight Attendants!!!!! :D

cloud nine
26th Oct 2001, 10:40
DREAMS,SMILE,CABINBOY,BICCY CHUCKER,DOOHAN and any one else that I have missed.

GUESS WHAT???????? I have an interview on the 30th with VB!!!!!! Im so excited!!!!!! I still have not received an email from them,but I decided to call them again. This time I was put through to recruitment. She said that maybe there was an error with my online application, thats why I have not received an email. But she invited me along to the first interview. IM THRILLED!!!!! Im trying not to get my hopes up, like I did with QA, but I cant help it.YIPPEEEEEEEE-WOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOO!!! At least an interview will keep my hopes high about this industry.I'm litery on cloud nine at the moment!!!!!!!
Dreams...have you heard yet????? Im prayin for ya!!! Who knows, maybe(fingers crossed) we might have to share a place in Brizzie!!!!

cabinboy
26th Oct 2001, 12:28
Way to go Cloud nine ! fingers crossed you'll be face painting at 35,000ft in no time !! hehe

What actually happened with the interview business ? Did Virgin say that you were supposed to be invited to the interview and you weren't because the email didn't reach you ? or did they invite you along because you actually rung them ? I was told that you can't get past reception when trying to call them ? My ex partner now works for VB and said that the poor receptionist just sits there and says no all day to people wanting to be transferred through to HR dept...

OH GOD PLEASE ! I JUST WANT AN INTERVIEW ALSO ! I'm starting to feel useless and wondering what the hell I've done wrong to not get invited to one of these interviews.
:(

I hope emirates are looking for guys this time round, last time their " quota " for males was FULL.

As for the name of an airline formed by us wannabe's...... " Reject Air " " Sick of Waiting Airlines " " What did I do wrong airlines "......ok, i'll shut up now...i'm rambling and feeling even more sorry for myself !

CABINBOY :D

cloud nine
26th Oct 2001, 12:50
Dear Cabinboy.... U make me feel so sad. I know how u feel about the "rejection thing". Untill this arvo when I found out about VB, I was in the worst mood, depressed badly cause I loath my pathetic office/cust service job. I was so bad at work today that the boss took me out side and asked what the problem was. Lucky we get on, otherwise Im sure with my bad attitude today I would have been out the door. Im telling you...my smile was UPSIDE DOWN today...Anyways back to VB, I was just worried as Id heard that VB were doing SYD interviews on the 30th, 10 times a day I was checking my email....no response, 2 days ago I called VB and could not get past reception, she didnt have a clue and said that the 30th was just a "rumour"??? She said VB will recruit from SYD in a few weeks, and depending on the strength of my application would deter if Im contacted... I was still not satisfied when I hung up, and today thought Im going to get no where unless I push this issue! So i called again and asked for cabin recruitment. Reception asked if I had applied, and i just said yes,I really must speak with HR...no probs...bingo, straight through. HR were lovley/profesional ect. She said maybe my application had an error and wasnt sent correctly. She then took my details and said there was afew vacancys left on Tuesday. So that was it.
I honestly think that u should not give up till u speak with HR......let me know how u go...
Take care my friend x

dreams
26th Oct 2001, 14:27
cloudnine... Thats sooo good, i'm so excited for you! If you've got any Q's please feel free to ask me about the interview I had recently in Melb.... I'm so tempted to call HR to see whats happening too, I'm getting so impatient!!! :)

cloud nine
26th Oct 2001, 14:53
Thanks dreams...Ive been on this computer all nigt/arvo, just reasurching VB. I think I know what time every single flight departs and know exactly what the price of every refreshment is...LOL.
Actually, I do have a few Q's. How many people were in the group interview? I remember QA had about 50.
Did most people wear the "typical" fa attire? I remember when I did the results centre course the teacher said where something different...she said,for example if you had a loud purple suit, to wear that!!! I dont know if that would be a good or a bad idea? I still sway towards the classic typical fa suit. What do u think? And what about the red lippi thing? Did most wear that????

puff
26th Oct 2001, 16:50
I had an group interview thing with Virgin today for a ground position and as a matter of interest the HR girl said that they had received over 23,000 applications this year alone! They are taking 40 ground staff in November alone, all start as part timers.(20 hours week). Good luck to everyone!

doohan
26th Oct 2001, 17:51
Cloud Nine... congratulations!!!!
I am sooo happy for you,
Look at your persistance... dedication. See how things turn out when you give it your heart and soul. I'll be praying for you on the 30th. The only advise i could give you would be, "Be Yourself"

I am not sure whether that will help you with Virgin Blue, as they conduct interviews differently. But i have been very successfulin the past and present with interviews, by being myself, and prepared.

Anyway... god bless!!! and i hope your successful, because its people like youself, with all your dedication and passion that makes the airline industry, the best career to have in the world!! :D :D :D :D

smile
27th Oct 2001, 05:32
Hey Cloud Nine Congratulations, My suggestion for interview outfit would be to wear something that is still classy but not business/ flight attendant looking.

I chose to wear something that was a little too FA I think.

And maybe accessorise it with a little pizzaz. A dark dress with a big bright flower??

Although I think that it is a little wrong that you can be rejected for the job by what you are wearing. As long as you are well presented, neat and tidy etc then only YOU should be the deciding factor. :D

dreams
27th Oct 2001, 09:53
hey cloud nine...well i don't think any of the girls in my group had red lipsick on..There were bout 15...3 guys and rest girls. Alot of the girls there were ex ansett girls so they all had the f/a attire. i wore a suit but a couple of the girls had pants and a skivvy..pants and jacket so it was all different.
But one main thing wear what u will feel comfortable in because they will notice if your not. They don't ask anything about the company so don't stress about knowing everything maybe in the next interviews but not this one.
All they look for is that u can work well in a team... Remember to smile and smile!! :) You will have to log on as soon as u get home to let us all know how u went..
When u get there try and talk to a couple of people this way they will see you are not shy and are friendly!!!
Good luck my friend..although i'm sure u wont need it!!! :)

cloud nine
27th Oct 2001, 09:59
Thanks for all your best wishes.....it means alot to me....only u guys understand how Im feeling at the moment. friends/family are all praying for me...but unless your a wannabe or a FA, no one really understands our passion right?

SMILE.....hmmmm, the dress thing??? Im in such FA mode, that even though I know VB is different to other airlines, I just cant bring myself to wear anything other than my interview suit.I think I might add something loud to it though...ie.flower broach,jelwrey,or do something a bit different with my hair. Normally for FA interviews I do the buisness/stylish thing. You know, hair in a bun, 1 ring,small stud earings, french manicure ect. I always take my nose stud out for an interview....should I leave it in for VB??? Just to be a little wild and different????? Is this what they want?

DOOHAN....a big "special" thankyou for your kind words and best wishes..your a sweetheart...I can tell by all your posts. R u single???? he he he...( cheeky gal huh??) LOL.

Take care both of u....

dreams
27th Oct 2001, 10:05
Puff...when will u find out if u got through to the next interview..good luck to u :)

cloud nine
27th Oct 2001, 10:09
DREAMS....thanyou aswell for all your kind words. Of course my friend, I will be loggin in ASAP after the interview to fill all u guys in.
Thanks for the tips, very much appreciate them.
Have you heard yet??? Im dying to know how u went too.
My interview is at 11.30am Tues, so I should be on the net by 2pm......as porky pig say"stay tuned folks!"

Vertigobabe
27th Oct 2001, 11:12
Cloud Nine,

Wear some root me boots.....you'll get the job for sure!! I know some girls who have and got in! :D

cabinboy
27th Oct 2001, 11:30
Firewall is spot on Cloud 9.....but as we commonly call them here in BNE .. " F**k me boots " are the way to go !....Loose the nose stud though, that would be a definete no no. I reckon a bright flower attached is a super idea, can't you tell that our fellow ppruner " smile " is such a BNE girl ! hehe - it's all about sunshine and accessories up here !

Can anyone shed some light as to what the males wore to the interview ? I always wear the suit and tie with the shiny shoes, but I am wondering if any of the guys have worn light grey suits or green suits or whatever ? or maybe some really nice trousers with a nice well fitted shirt(clubwear type) if you know what I mean ?

Cabinboy
FYI - Virgin are getting another 737 next week, it is ex ansett and currently being repainted in NZ.

Vertigobabe
27th Oct 2001, 12:14
Cabinboy,

I think you should wear a bright red G-string with the words "Like a virgin" written on it! And as for accessories....I would put you in a studded black leather choker..and to top it all off a sexy cowboy hat with the fly corks (for that TRUE BLUE effect). You'll have the job in the bag...you won't need a second interview baby :D :D

On a more serious note I think you should wear something very trendy - not a suit, cause this will remind them of QF & AN and they are not looking for anyone conservative

Good luck all you guys!

cloud nine
27th Oct 2001, 13:13
OH MY GOD!!! Are you serious about the F-ck me boots??????? SHEISK!!!! I really dont think I could wear them to an interview!!!!
Im totally freaking confused as to what to wear now.
Only get one chance to make an impression, dont know whether to stand out in something funky, and risk over doing it. Or to blend in and be classy!!!!
I often wonder if you went in something totally strange...like fancy dress if they would give you a chance because you had the confidence to pull it off?????????? Hmmmm...now where did I put that gorilla mask??????????? LOL

cabinboy
27th Oct 2001, 14:07
Cloud nine wear the F**k me boots and tell them you are trying to be like julia roberts in pretty woman !...if you did that I promise I would fly down to SYD and personally escort you to the interview and ensure your safe return back to your place of residence...hehe, however there would be photos posted on pprune of the " historic event " :D

Ok, now this is getting outta hand.......IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE READING THIS VERY TOPIC FROM VIRGIN BLUE AIRLINES ? PLEASE HELP US....SUBMIT YOUR ADVICE AND COMMENTS PLEASE ! WE NEED YOU ! HELP US ! WE WANT TO BE VIRGIN BLUE CABIN CREW !

What do we wear ? What do we say ?

[ 27 October 2001: Message edited by: cabinboy ]

cloud nine
27th Oct 2001, 15:10
CABINBOY!!!!!! I dont think you should join the airlines.....YOU SHOULD BE A COMEDIAN!!!!I have been cracking up for the past 5 mins over your last post! You funny funny FUNNY cabinboy you!!!
Hmmm...I have a vision of myself walking into the interview looking like pretty woman. OH MY GOD!!!! (Im cringing badly here...) And when they ask what face to face customer experiance I have..well...um errr,pretty woman has definatley had LOTS OF CUSTOMER SERVICE huh. Yeppy...she definatley has people skills and alot of other skills also. Lets just say...she's probably a very flexible gal, if u know what I mean!!!!! LOL.

P.S..."Confusia say...one that wear F_ck Boots to interview does not have Virgin qualities!!!"

doohan
27th Oct 2001, 22:34
Emphasise

Cabin Boy, i wore a green suite to my QF interviews back in 99 and 2001.
Also... being superstitious as i am for interviews, particularly with Airlines, i wore my favourite Tie to all 3 stages!

Hehe, not sure whether that will help!

Cloud Nine, why thank you for your kind words.

:) :)

Words of advice for you my dear...

1. Dress beautifully... professionally, so you stand out!
2. Be early!!
3. If you get a chance, mingle with a few of the other applicants.
4. be polite, genuine... and don't talk to much, little is fine, if your in a group session.
5. I am not to sure if this would apply with Virgin interviews, but it certainly has helped me with QF and Ansett.
If given the opportunity to introduce yourself to your group. Don’t just tell them the great things you did, (like I was responsible for the looking after Olympic family during the Olympics, or i worked on the QE2). Instead... use examples like, i use to be a cleaner... kitchen steward. Things allot of people don't want to do, or feel that it might be a disadvantage to say in an interview.
6. Be yourself as I have already mentioned!!
7. Smile Smile Smile, i cannot Emphasise that enough! (if you need assistance, think of Cabin boys post) LOL!
8. One of the most important things to do is... ENJOY YOURSELF!!!!!

It’s not the end of the world, or you’re getting to old! Heck... i am 30 and damn if i am ever gonna give up on the career i love so much!

Hey... my darling sisters are there... why can’t i get in!!! :confused: :confused:

I hear Qantas are gonna recruit soon, so if you don't get through.... one door closes and the other opens!

I am already preparing myself!!!

Anyway... as far as i am concerned, you are already successful in my books!!
:D :D

Take care all and good luck!!

P.S. Cloud Nine, yes i am single!

;) ;)

doohan
27th Oct 2001, 22:50
Dreams... i just wanna take this moment to wish you all the very best. Yes.,, very awful getting a letter of being unsuccessful. after completing all 3 stages, But it only makes you stronger and more determined for the next opportunity!!

Keep your chin up, you will be fine, and remember... QF are gonna recruit shortly as well...

Once again,. the pointers i can give you and everone else who has an interview... is basically what i wrote in my previous post.

It helped me for Ansett and Nearly Qantas, and i am sure it will help or atleast assist in Virgin Blue.

As for QF...
If i hear anything... i let you all know!!!

Ciao... and May Virgin Blue be with you all!! :D :D :D

flapsforty
27th Oct 2001, 23:16
Cloud nine, no idea what VB are looking for in the way of garb, but perhaps the following can help you with the actual interview. It's something I put together a while ago for another wannabe FA and she said it was of assistance in her succes.

U might also want to read up on the techniques of the "criteria based interview", very popular with HR people at the moment!

"Find a number of resons why it would be to the AIRLINE'S advantage to hire you, not only why YOU want to fly with them.
They usually ask for your weak points. Find some that you can present in such a way that they are really advantages for the job concerned.
Make sure you have answers ready for when they ask you if you are not over qualified or too well established for a complete life change such as this.
In the group sessions, try and strike a balance between being too concerned with others wellfare on the one hand, and being too much of an individual on the other hand. When discussing with your group, take note of the people not having much to say and try to involve them in the discussion (shows you are socially aware, smart and good with people)
Try and make a summary during the discussion of what was said and steer towards a consensus. Shows u are able to seperate main issues form side issues and that you want to get on with the job at hand.
When getting into a conflict with another group member, or when the interviewers try to provoke you or put you in role play with a "difficult passenger", Listen first, Think and the Speak.
Summarize what the other person has said. This way you aknowledge their feelings and take down barriers. It also checks if you have understood correctly. Then start on the solution.
Prepare yourself by writing out all the possible questions they might ask you beforehand, and formulate the answers while you still have time to think in peace, instead of being put on the spot during the interview with questions you did not see coming and having to grope for an answer.
There is no shame in saying "Errm, let me think about that for a bit". No problem with a bit of silence, and much better than ranting on like the Mad March Hare, spouting rubbish in desperation.
The most important aspect of your future job is Flight Safety and saving lives in an emergency. Show that you can remain cool under pressure. Breathe deeply when u feel stress taking over,and THINK b4 you speak or do something rash!
Like our someone said on pprune recently, you don't need to be Einstein to be an FA!! You need to present the right facade at the interview, since presenting a facade is also what you will have to do on board.
Just make it look like the real thing. :D
When it comes to personal questions, be honest though. No gain in faking that part."

Hope this makes sense to you and helps a bit! I've been an FA for 20 years :eek: :eek: and still think it's the best job in the whole wide world!

All the best!

smile
28th Oct 2001, 03:22
Doohan, you have said the magic words....'QF are going to recriut agian soon'. Don't leave me hanging... tell me more. And if you can't fit it all on to Pprune then my email address is in my personal profile. It's one month until I reach my 6 month between interviews. :D :D :D

Cloud Nine, I was alittle worried abou the suggestion of the F**k Me Boots, until I thought of a reasonably classy, but still pretty groovy outfit.
I'm not sure if this little getup was popular in Sydney, but here in Brisvegas alot of girls were wearing the boots with a slimline skirt that skimmed the top of the boots, or showed a little knee when you sat down, (Tarten was popular- caramel was the colour, and I've seen a nice version in pink tarten). Then it would be teemed with a sleavless top(not too tight, and in strong material, that matched the skirt ie caramel) then it was matched up with a good size flower-- in a bold colour that both contrasted and complimented the rest of the outfit.

Not sure how quickly you could put together this outfit--- but trust me --- with VB I think that it would be a good choice.

Or have you thought of trying the ole sleavless, V-neck, pinafore dress. Maybe with a flower or belt. Sort of a little like one of their uniforms.

I understand that you a little unsure to about dropping the suit look, but remember alot of different looks make up the whole office look. Go for the funkiest one and really try to stay away from the suit!!

Also not too severe with the hair!!! :D :D

cloud nine
28th Oct 2001, 13:43
A big thanks to everyone with all your advise. All of you will be filled in asap on Tuesday.
DREAMS- Thankyou for your private messages. my advise to you would be call VB on Tuesday as that is exactly 2 weeks after your interview. It definatley wont hurt to show that you are keen. You have to get it...your way to dedicated not too. Plus you know so much aswell. Im hanging out to hear how you went.
And thanks for the tip regarding the gal in the leather pants......not good.....I can understand why she was getting some looks. way to night clubby huh?
QANTAS!!!! Yipee....I have also the feeling that they are recruiting soon. I have a friend that up untill 10 months ago used to recruit for QA FA. She still has good friends that are in HR, I'll give her a call during the week and see if she has any inside goss. Then..I will privatley message all my "Special" friends in here. You know who you all are! What a shame that even she cant get me in.....gone are the days when if u knew someone u were in huh? These days almost everyone knows someone that knows someone in the industry, but unfortunatley that doesnt help.....unless daddy's the CEO of coarse. Well my daddy makes lounge frames.....but Im sure if I wanted that as a career he could get me in!!!! LOL
Take care friends x

Wirraway
28th Oct 2001, 20:57
Cloud Nine

i'm a friend of wirraway,just read your plight.I'm a v.b cabin crew member & have some advice.Wear a suit,closed toe heels & hair up or pony,classic make-up,stockings.be prepared for customer service related questions & have examples of when you have provided exceptional customer service."Fun" is also a word v.b like to hear about in your work ethic.Turn any negative questions around to where you made a bad situation into a positive one that reflects well on your initiative.Smile alot,be yourself,let your personality shine through!take your time & answer every question.Miss one & your gone!Talk about your love of customer service & meeting new people.Be cheeky & funny & you've got it made.This is the best job in the world.Part time hours for about 40 grand clear a year including allowances,Cheap travel for you & family + a number of other perks.Unfortunately it is a relationship breaker....good luck!

Galley Rat

Coppelia
29th Oct 2001, 00:17
Well Wirraway told almost everything.

I am cabin crew for another Virgin airline, which is Virgin Express, and I succeeded 4 years ago at the interviews.

At that time VEX was much funnier than now (ie uniforms, mentality...short before I applied candidates had to perform a Macarena dance !), but I can tell you how I was that day: I wore a classic trousers suit and a pony tail. No nail polish and a very light make-up. And it worked ! You don't have to look as if you were about to go at a carnival ! A boy was wearing a pair of jeans and didn't succeed for the 2nd interview.

Now some advices concerning your behaviour: always look people straight in the eyes, smile but don't exagerate, be natural, speak but not too much; if you see in your group someone who doesn't say a word, give her-him the opportunity to speak.

I was asked why I wanted to do that job. I simply told the truth: just the happiness of seeing the sun everyday at a 10 000 meters altitude; the flexible hours, the opportunity of working with different people everyday, and of course the "safety" side of the job, the customer service... I even remember that I said "I know this is my vocation, I will just feel like a fish in the ocean being a CA and I couldn't imagine doing something else".

Would you believe me If I tell you that what I said above made me succeed at Air France interviews ? Well, that's the truth but I prefered staying with VEX... Furthermore living in Paris didn't excite me that much.

Good luck to all of you who want to be part of the Virgin experience... I don't know what does VB look like, but I really love VEX and wouldn't change airline for anything ! :)

dreams
29th Oct 2001, 06:46
Thanx cloud nine, they did say that it would be 2-3 weeks so i might wait to later in the week to call. But good luck to you tomorrow...i will be thinking of you!!! :)
I'm so happy to hear about Qantas i can't wait to hear what your friend has to say at Qantas Cloud nine.
Well take care everyone!! :)

smile
29th Oct 2001, 08:20
Hey guys I have just been having a look through the posts on this topic and have decided that I have met a really great bunch of people. If any one is in Brissie and needs someone to show them around don't hesitate to give me a call.

And Cloud Ninedon't forget to add me to your email list.

To everyone else, I went through all three stages in the last lot of MEL QF interviews-- so if anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to answer!! :D

dreams
29th Oct 2001, 08:26
Smile u had ur Qf interviews in MEL don't ya live in Brizzie?
Wirraway how long have u been with Vb?
Can you tell us a bit about your interview experience. I've had my first two weeks ago and still waiting to hear, Cloud nine has hers tomorrow and i'm sure everyone would like any info u could give us!!
Thanks heaps :)

doohan
29th Oct 2001, 08:54
Why thankyou Smile, I’ve added you to my buddy list, and if there is anything you would like to ask me, about my experiences with my beloved Ansett, or what the interviews were like with QF and AN, please don't hesitate to email me...

Oh... and if your ever down in Sydney, send us an email, and we shall go and do the Airport tour!!!!

Thoroughly recommend it!!!

:D :D :D

smile
29th Oct 2001, 09:27
Yes Dreams I do live in the great Sunshine State, so guess how much my QF rejection cost me!!! I travelled down end of April for the first round, Then back again beginning of June for round two. I was lucky that they offered me my third interview the next day or it would have been another round trip!!! Als I have a friend who is a QF MEL Flight attendant, so I stayed with her and a couple of her friends-- I don't think I could have had more inside goss!!!

Well maybe just a little more so I could have got the job.....

It's sad though because those who were offered jobs would be coming to the end of their contracts in the next month or two :( .

Still I guess if the ladies and gents in that round have shone in their duties they may be offered full time employment!! :D

smile
29th Oct 2001, 09:31
Ok everyone I am starting a new thread dedicated to the (fingers crossed)next round of QF interviews. Keep coming here if you want to talk VB, but I think this thread is a little long for the mirad of topics we have started to discuss!! :D

cloud nine
29th Oct 2001, 10:56
Yes, I also think that Ive meet a great bunch of people on this VB site. Shame that we are not all in the same state, would love to meet up. Maybe we can do "coffee" on a Paris layover when we get into Qantas!!! Or how bout a tad of designer label shopping together when we are sent to Dubai with Emirates!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Smile, I know what u mean about spending loads on this interview process. Im on file with Air NZ and am prepared to fly to NZ at my own expense for an interview at any time. The way I see it is I wont be happy till I get in, so I will try every possible way to suceed. Ive already spent alot on full filling this dream....ie, RSA, First Aid, results centre coarse, new suit, shoes,bag,resume, update of passport ect....so whats a few more hundred dollars on an airfare???? Ive even thought of having my teeth whitened just to look a bit better. But than decided that was taking it a bit far.....I think Im OBSESSED!!!!I only hope that one day it all pays off.
Anyway tomorrow is my big day. SHEISK!!! feels like Im getting freaking married or something!! LOL

Take care my friends.

x

Wirraway
29th Oct 2001, 12:45
Dreams

Galley Rat and friend both work for VB
as F/As, and were visiting last night,
I was showing them this thread on my
computer, thats why I allowed one "Galley
Rat" to post under my nic, they asked me
if they could make a post after reading
people advising Cloud nine as to what to
wear at her interview.

Wirraway

dreams
29th Oct 2001, 13:42
wirraway thanx for ur info, Do ur friends like being a f/a for VB how long hve they been doin it?
R u applying to Vb aswell?

cabinboy
29th Oct 2001, 14:04
Dreams - I think Wirraway is enjoying the fruits of his life after his long successful career with an australian airline !

Wirraway
29th Oct 2001, 16:39
Dreams

As Cabin Boy said enjoying the fruits
of life, I am retired, the 2 last night
have been with VB 11mths and 8mths,they
both love the job, but a few of their
work mates have come undone with personel
relationships, remember they are spending
11-15 nights away each month, not good if
you have a girlfriend/boyfriend waiting in
Brisbane, and has taken its toll, they work
hard and play hard, and it appears
partyhound types make the best Virgin
Blue flight attendants.

Wirraway

smile
29th Oct 2001, 18:53
Hi Cloud Nine I got your email thanks for the info.

Don't worry too much about the nerves for tomorrow, just go in and have fun!!!

Oh and by the way, the nerves for these interviews are much worse than planning to get married... although the finance is another issue!!!

While on this wedding topic-- should I take off my engagement ring for interviews? I know it technically shouldn't be an issue, but you never know if you are getting interviewed by someone from the old school. :confused:

Helicopterman
30th Oct 2001, 01:15
Hi there, Cloud Nine and Dreams.
we don't know each other, but i am a Sydney pilot while my sister is a Purser with Q/A / Impulse etc.
I have been reading the threads on here about V/B blah blah and well thought i might let you know if you are interested that Impulse Airlines are currently recruiting cabin crew.
I can provide you with a contact name for you to speak to should you desire.
please advise a email etc.
Oh and my name is Robert,,
cheers..
;) ;)

Kem
30th Oct 2001, 05:13
Robert Helicopterman, do you know which base Impulse/QF Link are recruiting for? Heard a rumour they're only recruiting for Launceston at the moment. Hope they've improved their interview process, interviewing two candidates at the same time at final interview stage is pretty nasty - tell your sis!
To all you VB interviewees, hope it went well. The long wait by the mailbox begins...

[ 30 October 2001: Message edited by: Kem ]

Mr Seatback 2
30th Oct 2001, 06:13
Been reading this topic with a great deal of interest - and yes, Impulse are recruiting for SYD and MEL bases. Here's the deal!

1) Gold Coast base closed down because QF wanted to fly there again. As a result, alot of OOL based crew resigning because of other committments (just bought houses, etc)

2) QF have dramatically increased flights to Hobart and just introduced Launceston to the schedule. This, with a double daily flight to Hamilton Island, and services to Townsville, mean they need extra crew - especially due to resignations occurring!

3) Interviewing a lot of ex AN cabin crew - they've actually had problems filling the training groups - can't get enough people recently!!

4) Don't be discouraged by age, experience, whatever! I flew with a girl the other day who got in with 3 yrs experience at McDonalds and joined us at 18! Just finished her HSC and - well - she started flying!

5) Those of you who are interested in applying should send your resumes to:
Michelle Lewis
Manager Human Resources - Flight Crew
Flight Attendant Recruitment
Impulse Airlines
Eleventh Street
Mascot NSW 2020.

or send them via email to [email protected] (her assistant)

Basic conditions at Impulse are much the same as Virgin Blue!! $35K per year for F/A, $42K for Purser. Plus overnight allowances, meal break penalties, drafting bonuses (if they call you in on your day off, it's $250 bonus plus your normal pay!!), and incentive pay day flying (when you nominate your standby days as overtime, and they have to pay you $18 p/h extra!)

Lotsa fun and the crews get along well - generally speaking!!!

Hope to see you all in the air!

Spikeysteps
30th Oct 2001, 06:55
So what happened with all the talk about the F*** me boots....I was quite enjoying it? :D

And I think you had a point. My partner (after much hinting from me) wore her highest stiletto heels to her interview, QF commented on them at the interview and is now pushing trollies!!

:cool:

cloud nine
30th Oct 2001, 07:51
GUESS WHAT MY FRIENDS????????????????? WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!! i just had my 1st VB interview, I honestly would have put my life on that I wouldn't get a second one....I felt like I was too quiet, and sat at the back of the room ( bad move but front row was taken)Was on the way home on the train and they called me, and I have a second interview tomorrow!!!!!!! 12.45 tomorrow. IM SHOCKED!!!!!! Yipeeeeeeeee!!!!
I didnt wear F*ck me boots, i just wore my FA suit that I wore to QA interviews. Most were dressed like typical FA, but a few were night clubbish. Only one gal had the boots on....and to be honest I thought she looked horrible.
can anyone advise me what happens tomorrow?????

Spikeysteps
30th Oct 2001, 08:05
Well done CNine!!

Sorry I can't tell you anything but all the best.....and keep us informed.
:)

doohan
30th Oct 2001, 08:19
Fantastic news Cloud Nine!!!

Proud of ya... I wish i could tell you what the second stage would be like, but i can't help you there, the only advise i could give you is.... whatever you did today, do tomorrow!!! though i gather it will be question time for you for tomorrows interview. Go over some of the questions they might ask you. I have a heap of QF questions, whether they will be of any use to you, i am not to sure...

If you need them, just let me know!!

Once again... congratulations!!!

;) ;) :D :D

Kem
30th Oct 2001, 08:20
Well done Cloudy you star! Fingers crossed for you for tomorrow. Sounds like you're there! Just remember to chill and smile baby smile. Don't forget to fill us all in on what sort of hoops they make you jump through, sounds like they've changed their recruitment practices lately. Mr Seatback, thanks for the Impulse info. Do they still do the two stage interview process with the first being the usual group thing and the horrid second interview being two candidates interviewed at once or have they wised up to their evil wicked ways?

dreams
30th Oct 2001, 10:01
Hey cloud nine thats so cool, i'm so happy for ya? Good luck for tomorrow its just customer service questions, so you'll be right. :)

[ 30 October 2001: Message edited by: dreams ]

puff
30th Oct 2001, 11:28
Ahh well I missed out on the ground job, got the dear john letter today! Interview was Friday, letter dated Monday, so if you don't hear for a while it's obviously good news!

cloud nine
30th Oct 2001, 17:09
Hi everyone,

A big thanks to all that have congratulated me and also thanks for all you sweety's that sent me private messages. Honestly...you guys are the BEST!!!!Ive been out celebrating and just got home, so now I have more time to tell u all exactly what happened at VB today.
I got there 40 mins early, filled out forms, and chatted to other applicants whilst waiting. Then we were moved inside, I had to sit up the back,much to my dissapointment as I felt like I was hidden and could not "strutt my stuff" so to speak. Anyway it was VERY relaxed, they did their speil about VB, showed us the uniform...OH MY GOD!!! Its pants. great...Im a pants gal...loved it!then they asked the group only 2 questions...what does VB stand for, and also who is the CEO...I answered neither. Then it was question time. I only asked 1 question....when do we start. She said they have a school starting at the end of November, and another starting in January. Then we had to break up into 2 groups and with props preform a stint. I had a black curly wig on, and talked about letting your hair down cause youll be having so much "fun" ( I think they like that word) on board VB. then we were in pairs with another prop and had to think of another use for the prop we had. We had a skull mask, and said it was not a mask...it was a beauty rectifier ect ect...just basically went on with garbage about this ugly looking mask. then we were sat back down and told that we would not hear for 3 to 4 weeks, so dont stress. About 2 hours later they called me for interview 2. They also called my girlfriend that happened to be interviewed with me at the same time.2 other girls that I swapped numbers with have not heard a thing. Honestly as I said before, I was totally shocked to get called back. I felt as though I did not stand out AT ALL. I was very quiet ( unlike me) and when I left the interview was kicking myself for not being louder more chatty ect.Although i was smiling alot, laughing, and doing the good old head nod when they were talking. When i did all 3 qantas interviews I was happy when I walked out, and had a gut feeling that I made an impression. But with VB both me and my girlfriend walked out and said...Sh*t we just blew that, they hardley noticed us, we just blended into the freaking carpet!!!!!!!!!!! Well obviously we did something right.
The conditions and wages....
we do traing on the ground for 4 weeks during this time we get $26.000...yeppy I know you are all saying "peanuts", that crossed my mind too. But once in the air it is just over $36,000, plus $80 for each nite that u have a layover. The layovers are only in Adelaide( yum..do some wine shopping) Melbourne ( great check the funky clothes shopping out) and Sydney ( fab!! see my family-friends)Whilst on layovers, accomadation is paid for and the $80 is foor food ect. Cruisy huh?
Anyway after tomorrow if Im succesful, they will check my refs, then send me to the Virgin doctor for a mediacl...if all goes well.....I'll then be departing Sydney and kicking my heels up in sunny Brizzie. Im very keen....but will have to just wait and see what happens tommorrow. Ive learnt with QA to not count my eggs before they hatch...worst senario is I dont get in, but hey it is another step closer to getting another airline....tis all experiance. I wasnt even nervous with VB.....thanks to my QA interview experiance. If its meant to be....it will happen if not...I'll just wait for another interview. Anyway, all i wanted was at least 1 more interview b4 Xmas to keep me going on this FA thing.
I'll chat to u all tomorrow , hopefully with some fab news.....

Mr Seatback 2
31st Oct 2001, 06:53
Congratulations and tribulations my friend! Fingers firmly crossed for you!!!!

Kem - I don't know what they're doing with the interviews - they're interviewing like crazy right now, and the people I would normally expect to see round the joint interviewing (some from interstate) aren't there...so who knows?? I'd just apply, and since you know the form from previous interviews, just run with it!

They've taken on a lot of ex Flight West girls and interviewing Ansett people too - with the Coolangatta base closing down (and some crew resigning) this has left vacancies over natural attrition (those who go to Virgin Blue, or Emirates for example).

cloud nine
31st Oct 2001, 09:26
Hello friends,

Well today I had my second interview with VB. It was a 1 on 1 interview, only lasted for 15mins as she was doing interviews every 15mins. It was just all the usual customer service questions. I felt like I went really well, but who knows what VB are looking for. I was told that I would be notified between 1 and 4 weeks either way. So now it is just sit back and wait time.

Dreams....have you heard yet???

Wirraway
31st Oct 2001, 10:02
VIRGIN BLUE ANNOUNCES MAJOR EXPANSION PLANS
AUSTRALIA'S SECOND AIRLINE KEEPS MORE OF THE AIR FAIR

Virgin Blue today announced its further expansion, solidifying its position as Australia's number two airline and only true low fare carrier, highlighting the airline's long-term growth plan.

The commitment follows last week's Perth announcement and further demonstrates that Virgin Blue is taking on more aircraft, opening new destinations and increasing frequency, establishing itself as the only airline with a sustainable business strategy to check the looming Qantas monopoly.

The expansion includes:

1) A new direct daily service between the Gold Coast and Melbourne from December 13. The flight will commence in time for the busy Christmas holiday period and will complement the existing Gold Coast service to Sydney. One-way fares from $119*, Fully Flexible fare of $289 one-way compared with the Qantas walk-up fare of $523 one-way, a saving of 45%.

2) New direct service between Melbourne and Canberra as of November 30. Special Launch Offer $50 for 50 seats on every flight for the first 15 days (book by 6 Nov, travel from 30 Nov to 14 Dec). The direct daily service will be the second route out of Canberra following the introduction of Brisbane-Canberra flights 4 months ago and the sixth route out of Melbourne (including the new Gold Coast and Launceston services). Virgin Blue will increase it to two daily services early next year. One-way fares will start from $77* one-way. Virgin Blue will offer $179* one-way Fully Flexible fares compared to Qantas's $286 Fully flexible fare, a saving of 37%.

3) Doubling Sydney-Gold Coast services with a second daily flight to help support this key tourism route serving communities in both Queensland and Northern New South Wales. Virgin Blue will continue with its current every day low fares between Sydney and the Gold Coast starting from $77* one-way.

4) Doubling the soon-to-be-introduced Melbourne-Launceston from one return flight a day to two direct flights a day from December 1 with a third daily flight being scheduled during the holiday peaks.

5) Increasing flights on existing routes to help meet the demand from both tourism and Virgin Blue's growing share of the top 500 corporate market and small business customers:

-Melbourne-Sydney route to 8 daily in November and 9 daily from December 13, up from 7
-Melbourne-Adelaide to 4 convenient daily returns from October 29, up from 3
-Brisbane-Sydney to 9 daily from 26 December, up from 8

6) Improved schedules on the twice-daily Brisbane - Townsville service as well as an improvement in the Mackay schedule that allows tourists to take advantage of low fares to access the stunning Whitsunday Region at a convenient time of day.

The airline also reaffirmed its view today that it did not believe Government handouts to the airline industry was the best method to sustain competition in Australian skies.

While criticising this policy, the airline did suggest that if the government wanted to pursue this course in order to level the playing field, they should at least focus on communities that are trying to break out of a one airline environment.

With this view in mind, the airline has suggested the Government consider routes from Brisbane to Darwin, Cairns and Mt. Isa for support instead of simply throwing money at two airlines competing directly on the same route.

The airline believes such a proposal would help some of the regional centres that have been overlooked and are now being prevented from having jet services by the "turboprop only" policy put forward by the Government this week.

Chief Executive Officer, Brett Godfrey said "By creating an incentive which only offers support to the regions if they use small aircraft, the Government is limiting capacity to these areas. Instead, they should be nurturing tourism and economic growth opportunities that our high capacity low fare jet services have, and will bring to more communities like Townsville, Mackay, Launceston and Mt. Isa."

On the bigger issue of government underwriting, Brett Godfrey reaffirmed "We stand by our view that we would gladly give up every cent of what is being offered if the Government backed the ACCC in doing something about uncompetitive practices in the airline industry. After the collapse of Compass 1 & 2, Impulse and Ansett, the country clearly needs a competition policy with teeth instead of just throwing money at a problem. Airline policy should be developed through a consultative process and not just random initiatives."

Virgin Blue operates the most modern, technologically advanced aircraft in Australia today, with an average age of less than 4 years, compared with Ansett's average fleet age of 11.7 years and Qantas with an average fleet age of 10.8 years (Salomon Smith Barney 2001 Fleet handbook)

dreams
31st Oct 2001, 11:46
Hey cloud nine..well done..I hope you hear soon.
No word yet!! But still have hope, how did your friend go?

cloud nine
31st Oct 2001, 12:18
Thanks dreams, I just emailed u too.
My friend also got a second interview, hers was at 10am today. She said the same as me, it was very relaxed. And she was also told between 1 and 4 weeks before she will hear back.
I have another freind going for her first interview tomorrow, so I shall let you know how she goes too.
I hope we all get in, including you, so we can all move to Brizzi together.

dreams
31st Oct 2001, 13:14
Cloud nine, how cool would that be all the new Vb girls living together in Brizzie...Now that could become very interesting!!! :)
Hey smile how r u? Haven't heard from ya in a while, hope ya well...and everyone else
Take care

[ 31 October 2001: Message edited by: dreams ]

Kem
31st Oct 2001, 23:42
Fantastic Cloudy! Is that it then? No third interrogation? Time to get those bags packed methinks. Does anyone know if VB recruit older wannabes?
Seatback guy, thanks for your Impulse advice. Not sure whether to re-apply so soon as tried the same thing with another airline only to be told off (in a very nice diplomatic F/A kinda way). Heard you Impulse guys have brutal shifts - five sector days with no breaks, is that true? Many overnights?
Does anyone here work for VB? How about telling your HR department it would be a nice thing to advise people who've submitted written applications (in response to a press ad) for ground positions to aknowledge receipt, or at least send the reject letter. Nasty keeping us hanging on for months, bad PR!

[ 31 October 2001: Message edited by: Kem for spelink misstaks]

[ 31 October 2001: Message edited by: Kem ]

Mr Seatback 2
1st Nov 2001, 03:41
Congratulations to all of you who've got this far!! Examples to us all!

As for Impulse, with the reduced schedule we're now doing something like 3-4 sectors a day (sometimes less!). True, we don't always get our breaks (we're SUPPOSED to, but we're usually so busy we don't get a chance to) - either way, we're paid a penalty for going without one!

Recently, I've yet to do more than 2 sectors in one day (SYD-HBA-SYD, and SYD-LST-SYD the norm)...overnighted in Melbourne the other night after going SYD-HBA then HBA-MEL...EASY! It can get brutal, and with Christmas coming most definitely, but hey, what job wouldn't be at this time of year??!!

Sweet N Innocent
1st Nov 2001, 06:18
Hi everyone, just a quick post to wish you all luck with your positions and for those that are waiting to hear back from VB I have my fingers and toes crossed for you.
I had my 1st interview with VB on Tuesday ( what they call round 2 ) and was invited back the next day for another. I ended up being asked to stay for the final interview an hour later and am now booked in for my medical ( which VB pay for! )
As far as I know there are 3 training dates for November which they are wanting to fill... The team was all very professional and a pleasure to deal with.
For those of you that have given VB a bit of stick in the past, give 'em a break... the more I hear and know about them the more I grow to love the company. I felt an undeniable buzz throughout the whole recruitment procedure and never felt like a "number" like I did in the QF interviews - I am still on their shortlist, but I can tell you right now my choice is made.
Once again, best of luck Cloudy and Dreams... fill us all in on your news :)

cloud nine
1st Nov 2001, 10:33
Congrats SNI....good for you. Your definatley in!!!! Although I cant help but wonder why I wasnt told to go for my medical after the one on one interview??? Does this mean I was not succesful????

Sonique
1st Nov 2001, 12:05
SNI,

Very happy for you....I agree that you are excited with the buzz of virgin blue but don't you feel as though they don't really know who you are yet ? I mean a group interview where you wear a wig and dance, followed by a 15 min 1 on 1 interview then a medical by an outside doctor.....then training...pppffffttt !!.....Something is seriously wrong here...methinks virgin are looking for pretty girls and don't give a **** about prior experience/capability etv etc......how can an airline tell that someone is perfect for the ultimate in customer service positions by talking to someone face to face for 15 min ? because that's really all it is isnt it ? Cloud nine said herself that she harly spoke in the group interview and then you just reffered to the group interview as ROUND 2 ........so you got to ROUND 2 without even saying your name !....no offence to you SNI but that sound like a lousy recruitment selection progress !

Sure QF are not recruiting, and yes you do get treated like another number - but at least you know they interrogate you and get to know you first !

Comments made in the spirit of this forum, not trying to get anyone upset but don't you think it's kinda strange ?

WARM REGARDS - SONIQUE :p

Sick Squid
1st Nov 2001, 13:57
Folks!

Well, what can I say? This is the first thread in this forum that has reached the 100 posts mark since I took over the moderators cattle-prod and whip. Excellent, well done!

It's site policy that we close threads down as they pass the 100 mark, to reduce server load... apparently the bandwidth increases for every access on a high post thread, or something like that. Anyway, those who know better than I the workings of this internet thingy want me to do that soooo... I'll leave it for a few more posts, (until I get back from me next trip should do it...) then you'll find a padlock on here. Just start a new thread on the same subject, and I'll edit some reciprocal links in to this one and the new one.

I'm really enjoying this thread, really good atmosphere in here, no serious slanging matches, very good exchanges of information, and er, those 'f**k-me boots.... ehm, none of us moderators are quite sure exactly what they look like (though we've a pretty good idea,) so if you have any photos Cloud Nine!!!... well there's a queue about a mile long trying to peer over my shoulder already! Purely for research purposes you understand, research. :) Honest.

Good luck to everyone in the hunt, SNI, Cloud Nine and all, not forgetting Smile who started this one, thanks. Hope it all works out.

£6

[ 01 November 2001: Message edited by: Sick Squid ]

cloud nine
1st Nov 2001, 14:30
Oh my god!!!! This thread is coming to an end!!!! I hope we all enjoy another thread together. Sicky & Biccy, I TOTALLY agree with you both. This has been the best thread ever. So many nice people on here. I'm definatly not into other threads were people just hurl abuse. I'm a lover not a fighter!!!hehehe.
Sick Squid....soon you will find out exactly what F*ck me boots look like...Cause if I am ever lucky enough to be succesful with this FA thing, I promise to wear nothing but my birthday suit and the boots and run down the tar mac at Sydney airport.LOL!!!And no amount of waving those red ping pong bats is going to stop me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cloud nine
1st Nov 2001, 15:02
Hey all..I was just thinking now that this thread is soon ending, I'd love to put a face to all your names. I welcome you to send a pic of yourself to my email address. I will gladly return one of myself.Please do not worry my friends, I am DEFINATLY NOT one of those freaks that are going to do the ol' cut and paste your face, on Pamula Andersons body, and email to millions!!! LOL. Im just curious thats all. Myself and DREAMS have already swapped pics,and she is a lovley gal, so she can verify that Im just your normal ol' chiccy babe that loves the flight attendant thing, and the net too. LOL, Ive already thought about all those future layovers...how will I survive without prune??? Simple.......will have to buy a laptop!!!!
Anyways....look forward to some pics of all you guys/gals. Especially "MR SINGLE"...yeppy Doohan thats YOU!!!! LOL...cheeky gal x 3....

cloud nine
1st Nov 2001, 15:28
Thankyou "Biccy Chukker" for being the first brave prunner to send me your pic......If I was to rate you out of biscuits....I'd have to say.....definatly a Tim tam!!! LOL

cloud nine
1st Nov 2001, 16:20
DOOHAN....as I said, I lurved the pics...thankyou again. Ansett has definatly lost one hell of a FA!!!!!!!!!

doohan
1st Nov 2001, 16:27
Why thankyou... your to kind. As for your wonderful photos... what can i say!!!! :D :D :D

You will be a great asset with VB, especially with that warm genuine smile!!!

Takecare and goodluck!!! ;)

Sick Squid
1st Nov 2001, 17:32
This thread is not over, merely continues here, Part 2 of the saga. (http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=29&t=000818) Thanks Wirraway. Keep it going folks.

We are also working on a live video link-up from Sydney airport, and I've already sold the TV rights.... :)

£6