PDA

View Full Version : Corroded 732's

witwiw
23rd Nov 2007, 09:52
A well connected mate of mine told me of an Australian registered 737-200 currently in a hangar undergoing maintenance and in which severe corrosion has been found. Indication was that it is so bad that it will be patched up for the time being but the expectation is that CASA will ground it at the next HMV. Can anyone confirm?

satos
23rd Nov 2007, 09:55
If the corrosion is that severe it will have to be fixed before it can fly again

Gnd Power
23rd Nov 2007, 10:25
Not quite sure what you are really getting at.

It is either going to come out of the check or won't. Isn't that the idea.

I'm sure the guys on the floor won't write it up if it is out of limits.

Or do you think otherwise?

gas-chamber
23rd Nov 2007, 10:48
Corrosion or any other defect has to be repaired to at least a safe level for the airplane to continue in service. Maybe it will not be economical to effect a permanent repair, so maybe a temporary repair with a time limit on it is being done. With a proper engineering analysis that may be permitted, but it is a bit worrisome. Stay away from turbulence.
An old B732 in flyable condition is only worth around a million bucks in today's market, so once the repair bill exceeds that amount it's time to go to the Arizona desert and look for a better one needing less work. General wisdom says it is not economical to do a D check on a B732 and only do a C check if it will come in under half a mill. But there are other factors, such as the modification status, equipment level, hours to run to any other major inspection, engine life etc etc that could justify greater expenditure on an exceptional airplane.

hoggsnortrupert
23rd Nov 2007, 17:58
I agree Gndpwr!
Not quite sure what you are really getting at.
It is either going to come out of the check or won't. Isn't that the idea.
I'm sure the guys on the floor won't write it up if it is out of limits.
Or do you think otherwise?
Take away the species, its just an aeroplane:
It SHOULD just be a case of economics?
What concerns me more today than past is the question of: "economics and management agenda" :mad:
I Have, as I KNOW some on PPRUNE have: experienced the DIRECT and in direct results of SHODDY Maintainence due to management agenda.
There are unfortunately managers out there with blood on their hands, and I do wonder how they sleep?
In saying that, I would like to doubt that would be what you are getting at?:suspect:
Chr's
H/Snort

tail wheel
23rd Nov 2007, 19:30
"Indication was that it is so bad that it will be patched up for the time being but the expectation is that CASA will ground it at the next HMV."

That statement is totally ludicrous.

Wind up alert!!! :mad:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Woomera/Closed.gif

Tail Wheel