PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Qantas landing 'dramas' YSSY&YMML

telephonenumber
23rd Nov 2007, 02:46
http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/applause-as-pilot-lands-grinding-plane/2007/11/23/1195753278809.html

capt.cynical
23rd Nov 2007, 03:04
:uhoh:

"went to a happy place" :) WTF

LME-400
23rd Nov 2007, 03:20
"went to a happy place" :) WTF

Passed out maybe.

NAMPS
23rd Nov 2007, 03:29
Perhaps the "No Smoking" signs were extinguished...:}

Islander Jock
23rd Nov 2007, 03:31
What followed was an hour-long ordeal that included an aborted landing where passengers could hear the wings making a "terrible grinding noise" as they failed to move into the right position.

Don't you just hate it when all those damn pesky wings do is make a grinding noise and refuse to move into the right position. Apart from F-111 and various other swing wing military types, anyone else find this a problem?

Just goes to show what to expect when you let the undeducated public give comment on matters that they know nothing about.

Had a similar incident at a remote airport several months back involving a 717 but thankfully no bottom feeding journos around to stir up even a whif of a story.

NAMPS
23rd Nov 2007, 03:40
Noisy flaps and gear doors are the norm in a 146 - how come that isn't reported more often...?

telephonenumber
23rd Nov 2007, 04:13
The wings not moving into the right position was my personal favourite.

harropster
23rd Nov 2007, 04:21
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=328161

Qantas jet makes emergency landing

Friday Nov 23 16:00 AEDT
By ninemsn staff

A Qantas 767 has made an emergency landing at Melbourne's Tullamarine airport after reporting smoke in the cockpit.

A Victoria Police spokesperson said the plane had landed safely and none of the 264 passengers were injured.

Firefighters were called to the scene but were stood down after the plane landed.

More to come

---------------------------------------------

everything seems ok tho... at one stage i loaded the ninemsn webpage and saw this:

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4607/55353389dn8.jpg

my gut dropped when i saw that picture, seems it was just a ninemsn website stuff up at a bad time with the "breaking news" above the picture. which just happens to be a picture of a totally different story about a train crash.... lol

flightleader
23rd Nov 2007, 04:23
Nothing wrong with a little noise when the ELEC motor drives out the flaps.

Toolman101
23rd Nov 2007, 04:33
Ms Merrell, an executive director at professional services firm Ernst & Young,

Ernst & Young must be overjoyed at having such level headed person in that job:rolleyes:

Jabawocky
23rd Nov 2007, 04:37
The wings are meant to move.....how else does it fly!:E You lot ever looked at a bird! Feathered that is!

J:ok:

Ultralights
23rd Nov 2007, 04:51
ask those Pax how much a pilot should get paid after that!

BAe32EP-Chief
23rd Nov 2007, 04:56
"He was very calm and very transparent ... his 'bedside manner' was terrific."

Oh dear - She let the cat out of the bag :ouch::ouch::ouch::ouch::ouch::ouch:

VH-Cheer Up
23rd Nov 2007, 04:58
Ms Merrell from E & Y said "I was hysterical and that was quite obvious. While most people around me were looking at each other and looking out the window and highly attuned to what was going on.

The time for hysteria is AFTER the crash, not before.

"If you can keep your head when those all around your are losing theirs" (Rudyard Kipling, 1903) "You probably don't understand the situation as well as they do" (Ms. Merrell, 2007).

Another "grim struggle with the controls averts certain death" story, well done Fairfax.

VHCU
------

Taildragger67
23rd Nov 2007, 08:08
Two ways of looking at this:

1. Fairfax has joined the UK Daily Mail as the numpties of reporting aviation matters;
2. Fairfax isn't actually that bad and the real story here is how irrational a person who purports to be a senior professional (and who is about to spawn and inflict her DNA upon an unsuspecting world), can actually be.

... "happy place". :hmm:

Remind me never to engage that crowd for their 'professional services'.

While we're at it, these accounting firms have dubbed themselves 'professional services' firms. Isn't 'professional service' what one gets at certain establishments on Patpong Road? :} :E

ACMS
23rd Nov 2007, 15:28
I've seen worse reporting that that.
What do you expect a passenger to say and know? She knew the "things on the back of the wing are supposed to move before landing" so what if she didn't know to call them Flaps.
I think you are being a bit hard on them?
She even complimented the Captain.
If that's the worst they can do............then we had all better shutup.:ok:

LME-400
23rd Nov 2007, 21:27
Nothing wrong with a little noise when the ELEC motor drives out the flaps.

Would the PTU (Power Transfer Unit) of kicked in for a bit. They can make an ugly sound.

satmstr
24th Nov 2007, 04:55
hey LME-400 , dont think 767 have PTU installed.

Short_Circuit
24th Nov 2007, 05:10
LME-400 is correct, PTU's are fitted, QF did the mod.

Veruka Salt
24th Nov 2007, 06:04
767s often make a "grinding" or "crunching" sound (it sounds like an "uuurrrttt" to me . . . . ) when selecting Flaps 1.

It's audible from both the flightdeck and on the ground below.

Bankstown
24th Nov 2007, 09:05
Something to do with slat gap seals from memory, they make a groaning noise if not seated correctly or missing.

TLAW
24th Nov 2007, 15:08
What are you lot on about? It was clearly the thronomeister making all that noise. They do that when they have to move the wings without any hydraulic fluid.

FAIL!

Short_Circuit
24th Nov 2007, 23:28
More likely the hemi-toroidal phase discriminator running dry. :eek: