PDA

View Full Version : Crew Duty Limitations

Gentleman Aviator
22nd Nov 2007, 15:11
I know that different States have differing crew duty rules, but wondered if there was any central point that listed them all out for different JAA Authorities?
Trying to steer someone towards an appropriate management company for an aircraft he is buying but am unsure which country to aim him towards. He wants first class supervision but is also interested in long flights with potentially short turnarounds.
Don't want to waste him time chatting with UK, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Spain etc if there is an easy place to find CDL data.
Any ideas anyone?
Cheers,
GA

merlinxx
22nd Nov 2007, 22:10
A responsible owner/user of his/her acft will/should apply the safest criteria, thus I would apply a UK reg'n applying CAP371 as the absolute minimum.

If the owner values his/her life and those of his/her family/employees, apply the safest rules/regs that take account of all fatiguing parameters, Long duty periods, short rest periods, time zone disruptions etc., go CAP371.

Those who disagree, please post.

Life's a Beech
22nd Nov 2007, 23:11
I might be wrong, as I work on AOC operations so it makes no difference to me, but I thought that the most restrictive rules didn't apply to private flights. Who is monitoring, when you don't keep FTL records to show to an ops inspector?

CAP371 has its quirks, it can be irrational. It is good overall and would make a sensible basis to any operation, but I would like to apply it corrupted by a large dose of common sense. However I am constrained to apply it literally, and berate my pilots on the (rare) occasions when they foul up its application, despite knowing they were not fatigued and perfectly safe.

Remember though, the most dangerous time is the drive home after a difficult duty. Tell your friend to offer crews a hotel room near the airport any time they return to base after a hard day!

Gulfstreamaviator
23rd Nov 2007, 06:43
There is no reason to suggest that an airline FTL plan works in corporate either private of aoc ops.

CAP 371, or any other country version, is not good at covering the specific needs of corporate ops.

As stated the most dangerous time is the drive from a long day to your home, or even a hotel, in a Dubai taxi.

Much more from PM communciation. Glf

Gentleman Aviator
23rd Nov 2007, 13:06
Thanks for all the advice.
Did a little more digging and it looks as though there will be harmonisation from next year with Subpart Q, although there is some wiggle room for a further 2 years whilst a scientific study is carried out.
Link is here:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/en/oj/2006/l_377/l_37720061227en00010175.pdf
My reading of this is that all States go to 60 hour Crew Duty per 7 day period (Page 163); 13 hour duty days; 12 hours rest minimum but at least as long as the duty day.
That is going to be quite a change in some countries I guess?
Again, thanks for the replies.
GA