PDA

View Full Version : baggage allowance error? Can i use it to my advantage?

minch
22nd Nov 2007, 12:34
I am looking to fly home to Australia from the Uk, and am planning to fly via the USA so I can benefit from additional baggage.

It used to be that you got 2 bags at 32kg but these days all of the airlines which serve that route state that economy class passengers get 2 bags at 23kg each.

However, I noticed that one of those airlines Conditions of Contract and Carriage documents don't seem to have been updated and still state:

Checked Baggage Allowances
Passengers (except infants +) are allowed the following baggage.

and

Ticketed itineraries to or from USA, US Territories, Canada and UK via North America: All classes -2 pieces of baggage per person with a maximum combined dimension (length and width and height) of 158cm per piece. Each piece cannot exceed 32kg in weight.

So my questions are:

When I buy a ticket, i assume that ticket is a contract between myself and the airline? Therefore, i assume these conditions apply?

If there is a discrepency between what they state on the website (23kg) and the actual conditions of contract that they have in place at the time of the ticket purchase (32kg), which one stands?

Finally, do you think I am likely to get anywhere at check-in if I point out the discrepency and try and claim the 32kg per bag- or do I have a snowflakes chance in hell of this working?

I am moving home wih my fiancee, so 64kg each makes a huge difference comopared to 46 kg each!:D

lexxity
23rd Nov 2007, 11:14
32kgs is the maximum allowed in any one piece of checked luggage due to health and safety laws. It is not your allowance. You would still only be allowed the two at 23kgs or one at 32kgs and one at 14kgs.

I highly recommend you use a freight forwarder for the vast majority of your stuff and only take what you need in checked luggage.

minch
23rd Nov 2007, 11:58
Thanks lexxity, I understand that 32kg is the maximum allowed under HSE regulations.

However, Qantas for example specifies in their contract of carriage that the maximum weight for each bag is 32 kg, but also highlights that the allowance for economy passengers is 2 bags of 23kg.

This airline however does not include such a differentiation. They state in their conditions of carriage that:

"We will carry some Baggage, free of charge, subject to our conditions and limitations as set out in our Conditions of Contract and also available at our Website and upon request from us or our Authorised Agents."

The thing I have noticed is that the website information is different to the wording in the official contract. For instance, they state clearly the 32kg limit for heath and safety:

"5.3 Checked Baggage Allowances
Passengers (except infants +) are allowed the following baggage. Any piece of baggage that weighs in excess of 32kg will not be accepted for carriage."

but then go on to list allowances eg:

b) Travel to Australia: Economy Class - 20kg maximum weight with a maximum combined dimension (length and width and height) of 158cm. Business Class -30kg maximum weight with a maximum combined dimension (length and width and height) of 158cm.

(c) Ticketed itineraries to or from USA, US Territories, Canada and UK via North America: All classes -2 pieces of baggage per person with a maximum combined dimension (length and width and height) of 158cm per piece. Each piece cannot exceed 32kg in weight.

(d) All other international journeys: Each piece should not exceed a maximum combined dimension (length and width and height) of 158cm. Economy Class - 20kg maximum weight. Business Class - 30kg maximum weight. First Class - 40kg maximum weight.

The limits given for international travel (not via USA) are the allowances and not the maximum HSE weights- for instance 20kg for economy flying to Australia.

Therefore, why would the "via USA" figures not also be the allowances?

I think they have just forgotten to update their official contract when they revised their allowances a couple of years back. I will probably not try and take advantage of this (potential?) loophole and will ship most stuff home via shipping agents. However, i would like to get a feel for which limit would stand if challenged.