PDA

View Full Version : Bit of TV advice

Groundbased
22nd Nov 2007, 13:22
I've got a Sharp LCD tv with integrated freeview, and a digilogic DVD recorder. I'm trying to record freeview channels, but with no success. The only way I can see to do it is to use the SVID and external audio connectors on the front of the recorder (wires hanging everywhere).

The TV spec says that the EXT2 scart is a TV output, but when I connect the recorder to it and tune the recorder it doesn't see the freeview channels. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to do this using the standard scart connections?

Cheers.

tony draper
22nd Nov 2007, 14:46
If there are multiple scarts (in/outs) you may have to go into the setup menu and allocate a channel to one of em,I assume it has a user menu.
:cool:
PS If you are recording from a scart you do not need to tune your VCR a scart generaly outputs direct svideo not a UHF channel.

JackHowe
22nd Nov 2007, 14:50
I believe that there are part-wired and fully-wired links available for connection to SCART sockets. Might that be relevant?

tony draper
22nd Nov 2007, 15:16
Yer fully implemented scart should have separate RGB left right audio ect, also to record from a scart output you would need to select record AV on your VCR.

Davaar
22nd Nov 2007, 15:21
Isn’t this thread wonderful or as they say these days awesome?

See what it says:

“If you are recording from a scart you do not need to tune your VCR a scart generally outputs direct video not a UHF channel”.

Yup. And then the snappy follow-up:

“I believe that there are part-wired and fully-wired links available for connection to SCART sockets. Might that be relevant?”

Might that be relevant? Huh?

Might it not?

Who can tell? They can, maybe, but what are they talking about?

Don’t answer that! Sometimes it is best just to revel in the sheer magic of it all.

tony draper
22nd Nov 2007, 15:26
Yer in danger of being left behind Mr Davaar this is a switched on wired hi tech world, there will be them as knows, and them as doesn't know, and them as knows will prey on them as doesn't know.:rolleyes:
Saying that one feels the same way about mobile phones:(

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
22nd Nov 2007, 15:27
I've got a Sharp LCD tv
you have allowed Satan to take residence in a small corner of you living room :=

frostbite
22nd Nov 2007, 15:27
Are you trying to record while watching another channel?

This will only work if your setup has twin tuners.

Davaar
22nd Nov 2007, 15:34
One begins to see how the game is played.

Okay, Groundbased: are you up to the shameful practice that frostbite suspects?

Well, are you?

Come clean now and we will all still respect you. Just this once.

tony draper
22nd Nov 2007, 15:45
The secret is when one opens the box and unpacks the equipment from the large cardboard box it arrived in(which is generally about three times larger than necessary to contain the kit),seek out the polythene bag containing the insruction manual pick it up with tips of fingers,get someone to open the back door,proceed outside with bag held at arms length lift lid of wheely bin deposit the offending polythene bag into same.
:rolleyes:

rab-k
22nd Nov 2007, 15:55
Be careful. I have a Philips Integrated Digital TV and despite the destructions indicating to the contrary, one of the scart sockets was "in" only, as opposed to "in/out" as on the spec.

OverTq
22nd Nov 2007, 15:56
Easiest solution is to buy a 25 quid freeview tuner for the recorder - overcomes the problem of watching one and recording another.

ORAC
22nd Nov 2007, 16:08
I've got a Sharp LCD tv with integrated freeview, and a digilogic DVD recorder. I'm trying to record freeview channels, but with no success. The only way I can see to do it is to use the SVID and external audio connectors on the front of the recorder (wires hanging everywhere).

The TV spec says that the EXT2 scart is a TV output, but when I connect the recorder to it and tune the recorder it doesn't see the freeview channels. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to do this using the standard scart connections? The tuner will only work with a radio frequency (RF) input, not the scart inputs. So you will only ever be able to record the channel currently selected on the TV.

The recorder has 2 Scart sockets of which one is an input only, the second is a composite video input/output (no SVID or RGB). Check the manual to make sure you have the scart lead plugged into the right socket and make sure the scart output from the TV is composite. If it's only RGB or SVID you are limited to the front inputs as at present. (the TV may let you change the scart output via a menu).

You should be able to select the recording input as either an RF channel (CH1 to 99 etc) or one of the exterior inputs, EXT1 and 2, for the scart and front inputs.

gingernut
22nd Nov 2007, 16:11
Don’t answer that! Sometimes it is best just to revel in the sheer magic of it all.

Think that's good, these guy's help me fix me electric fire last week, resulting in mucho wife warmth all weekend.

Davaar
22nd Nov 2007, 17:50
Exactly, gingernut, and this process of "help" has all kinds of side-benefits.

Take the coyotes, for example.

My chap who fixes "the computer" is of "First Nations" stock, and follows many of the old ways. While he "helps" me a process in which he does the work and I hover around, we hold dialogue. He talks and I listen.

He has several rifles and several bows, with which he hunts; but he favours the bow as any purist would. He does admit to using modern technology, but que voulez-vous? We are talking deer. I occasionally toss in the world "caribou" just to prime the pump, so to speak, and it pays dividends.

I now know, which I did not, that it is a lot harder to kill an old buck than an innocent doe, unlike with people where the roles are reversed, and a week or two ago he was off after such a buck in "the bush", another of your terms of art, when he became aware that he was Not Alone.

As he awaited the buck there were gathered behind him seven coyotes, awaiting him, the "alpha male" showing "attitude", the others egging alpha on. My chap summed up the situation as perilous. He had but two arrows, both with titanium heads, and no time to waste.

Without further ado he zapped alpha, the arrow going right through and out the other side. Alpha died and lost interest. When alpha goes, beta takes over, and so it befell. One can tell, I gather, from the new way alpha-elect carries his tail upright in the air.

Old beta-male, now neo-alpha, was not happy at the turn of events, and also showed "attitude". My chap was now down to the one arrow and six coyotes, the odds still not good.

He had his "skinning knife" which he brandished towards neo-alpha, and advanced saying bad words in Iroquois, neo-alpha responding in coyote. We do not know how bright a coyote is, but bright enough to know about and observe titanium-tipped arrows, skinning knives, and very big blokes (we are talking here about 6' 5" and 280 or so + lbs).

Neo-alpha digested this, decided that the fate of old-alpha was persuasive, and so departed with the team.

Gosh, asked I, where did all this happen? Half an hour or so from Ottawa. Well now, are you telling me that when I go off, as I sometimes do, on the snow-shoes or the cross-country skis, not to mention the baloon last month, in or over those selfsame woods, I may meet meet, ummm, attitude-infested coyotes?

Indeed yes, quite often rabies-infested as well, and down by Alfred and Casselman they have black bears too. Yeah, but how about up in the Gatineau and the Laurentians? Sure, there too.

It is amazing what we pick up when we ask about difficulty in logging in to WordPerfect.

I believe redsnail knows about bows and arrows. Never leave home without them.

frostbite
22nd Nov 2007, 18:09
I'm very slow today. I never noticed it was about recording a programme on coyotes until I read the last post.

tony draper
22nd Nov 2007, 18:20
Think yourself lucky, Mr Davaar you have good honest members of the megafauna thither,they will slay you in a honest way because they wish to eat you,tiz natures way, you are after all just part of the food chain,pity those poor Australians who are overrun by small hairy multi legged poisonous creatures that will bite and off you just for the fun of it.
:uhoh:
Watched a prog about em last night, yuck!!,one shall not be heading antipodwards in this life if one can help it.
Oh yes and to stay on topic one watched it live one did not record it,but one could have if one wished, what with one's understanding of RF RGB scart and such.
:rolleyes:

GearDown&Locked
22nd Nov 2007, 18:25
Literature Nobel Prize for Herr Davaar, a man who can turn the most inospit and sterile words into a balanced mix of deep inspirational prose and poetry. :D

Davaar
22nd Nov 2007, 19:42
It was the "help" element, gingernut, in the electric fire --- and Gosh! that is a witty pun right there! Oh my Gosh! --- that caught the attention. I confess the coyotes were my own. The original thread was about scrants, though, for Goodness' sake!

And Dr draper, you are so right. In fact, I noted that very malignancy of the hairy ones in Oz some time ago in correspondence with an authoritative arachnologist of whom I sought, then as now, "help". I say "with" but prepositions are important, because it was really "to". The wretch never replied.

It must by now be universally acknowledged around here that I shrink, recoil even, from any imputation of irrelevance or "thread creep"; and therefore I shall suppress the arachnid-help link (carefully preserved in the vaults), ............ unless of course some seeker after knowledge, or better still any who can provide it, should invite me to break the silence which, if uninvited, seals my lips.

Davaar
23rd Nov 2007, 05:15
Black bears in the Gatineau, Yes! Rabid coyotes at the Mer Bleue, Si! Hostile raccoons at the garbage, Oui! Wolves I have heard around Casselman. Of wee hairy horrors concealed in the banana bunch the tales are legion. But the dreaded lurking Thread Creep??? Who would even have suspected?