PDA

View Full Version : MECIR fun all day.... everday

av8trflying
22nd Nov 2007, 08:01
Well, what a day I have had, and I am sure many of you have had the same.

Carried out my third MECIR nav this morning. And guess what, everything went to sh!t as soon as I rotated.

Not keeping height, not tracking right, radio procedures up the creek, not within tolerance on NDB approach, checklists? what checklists, DG/Compass align? whats that?:eek:

Everything that could have gone wrong did, dont mention the engine failure!!:\

And the good part...."that will be $1100 thank you":mad: Oh well, we always have at least one flight where we are not on the game.

Then you sit there and go "Man if only I had done this, or done that"

Cant wait for nav 4.

I'm off to have beer and some more beer.

Pinky the pilot
22nd Nov 2007, 09:01
I think I speak for all whom have gone before you......

Been there, done that!:mad:

Na illegitimus non carborundum!!

Bendo
22nd Nov 2007, 09:17
Mate - the sh!t started at ROTATE?

You was LOOKKY! :}

Keep on sluggin', it gets better :ok:

av8trflying
22nd Nov 2007, 09:19
Yeah it was a bad day.

I was hoping I could help you guys remember what it was like for yourselves and hoping I wasnt the only one!!:{

training wheels
22nd Nov 2007, 09:23
Hope your instructor gives you a thorough debrief so you can gain from your experience. My debriefs usually lasted about an hour after the navexes, even when things went ok!

Cap'n Arrr
22nd Nov 2007, 09:42
hahah I had a cpl nav which went to buggery BEFORE rotate... forgot to change tanks for the runups, so had to change and do them again. Then forgot to secure the top latch on the door, halfway down the runway I hear this whistling... "oops, ill be aborting now"
Ended up being so bad we came home early. Frying is fun!

scrambler
22nd Nov 2007, 09:51
Having it turn pear shaped with someone beside you to pick up the pieces is always better than it happening alone. Hopefully one day you will look back at it all and realise that by making the mistakes & learning from them it was some of the best money ever spent (though it certainly wont feel like it tonight).
Good luck with the rating :ok:

cjam
22nd Nov 2007, 10:07
We've mostly all been there done that mate.
Chair fly chair fly chair fly......in between flights go over every tiny aspect of the upcoming flight possible. Know exactly what pitch you're gunna rotate to, what vsi reading you're gunna see, when the gear comes up, the flap, what tracks you're gunna fly, know the plates inside out. Practice your scan again and again and again. Find out if your scan is too fast or too slow, sometimes thats the problem solved right there. It may cost $1100 for the flight but you can do it five times for free before the one you pay for.
Oh yeah...keep your chin up too, you'll get there and it'l be very satisfying when you do.

av8trflying
22nd Nov 2007, 10:14
thanks guys for the encouragement.

I thought i looked at the plan the night before enough but then when i rocked this morning my instructor goes "we'll go this way and then this way" :ugh:

Not what I was expecting....but then again isnt that what flying is all about.:ok:

cjam
22nd Nov 2007, 10:29
yeah it is what it's about and you do have to be flexible but I doubt it helps in any way on nav number three. After all you're just trying to get the basics sorted. Was it for a good reason ie weather/traffic or did he/she just feel like doing something different? The $1100 isn't for the instructor to enjoy a scenic. I reckon you get more for your money if you can really study the route in detail the day before and then see if anything still surprises you on the flight.

av8trflying
22nd Nov 2007, 10:36
No i thought we were going one way and he said no the nav is the other way with a gps arrival and then straight into a ndb app off the missed approach then onto another airport with a vor app and then home for a PILS.

So it was more my fault. Still the same airports but in reverse and then obviously all the sectors etc changed which does happen anyway.

Definetely a steep learning curve

Howard Hughes
22nd Nov 2007, 10:47
I wouldn't sweat it, even when you have thousands of hours under your belt you will still have those days! The important thing is you recognised it!:D

You will never ever do the perfect flight, but just keep trying!:ok: