PDA

View Full Version : VN Interview..

airmiles
21st Nov 2007, 18:40
.. I know someone has already posted about this but... no one has really given away any info..

I would really be much appreciated if someone could pm me and give me a headsup. I have been applying for jobs but just have had no interviews so I really need this. The last interview I did do was horendous, so any info would be appreciated. Any kind hearted pilots or individuals who are reading this... :) who would would be able to pm me...? Anyhow I don't want to back you in a corner, but any info would be great.

What kind of technical questions get asked in the Tech Quiz. How many questions are there. What kind of personal questions do they ask? How many people are interviewing you? Is the Tech Quiz before the interview?

Much thanks in advance,
Airmiles

Jaboet
21st Nov 2007, 19:12
Please send any info to me too please. I got an interview for December :)

airmiles
21st Nov 2007, 19:20
Well haven't got any info as of yet.. Hoping there are some kind heazrted people out there.. I have noticed that the VN website isn't as informtaive as other airline websites..

aiellosky
21st Nov 2007, 19:31
Hello,
I have got the email also but the thing is ....i live in Brazil...Should I go? How many slots do they have for FO's?? I would love to go and work for VN but it will cost me a good amount of money to go to UK and get a Thanks very much but NO.
Anyway....any help with the interview process, docs that i should have with me, anything that i should read or study?
Thanks to all,
And good luck to all ....lets fly
Luis

fluffyfan
21st Nov 2007, 20:13
Apparently its a great help if you are computer literate and up to date on the 634 scam, failing that any form of organised drug dealing or extortion would come in handy.....Nigeria, the land of oportunity.

Appologies to any law abiding Nigerians out there.....all 3 of you

BALEWA
22nd Nov 2007, 02:59
fluffyfan, how nice of you to drop by.

Balewa

airmiles
22nd Nov 2007, 21:31
Can someone please give me some info on the VN interview please. What kind of questions do they ask? What is the psychometric test like? Is it numerical, mathematical, 3-dimensional questions??

Shunanny
23rd Nov 2007, 09:04
50 tech questions, Ihear it is great if you have looked up ACE the PILOT Technical Interview.

A panel of three with 1] A management pilot, 2] A Human Resourse person, and 3] a Human Factors speciallist.

Questions range from life experiences to the tecnical, I guess they just want to get to know you and see if you can fit in.

The psycometric test is all about yourself, likes and dislikes.

There are a few good sample test on the internet.

Generally be yourself.

Hey fluffyfan, some mothers do have them ...enjoy life its free:E

Hope that helps.
SHU

FEDENO
23rd Nov 2007, 22:56
I was contacted today at about 10:00 am local time via phone by a womam (dont remember her name) , asking me if I could confirm my presence at the interview...Anyone was contacted too?

FEDENO
23rd Nov 2007, 22:59
To be more especific , was 13:30Z time..heheeh

FEDENO
24th Nov 2007, 15:18
Not so normal...when I was invited for an interview in London for Qatar Airways, was no phonecalls...everything via email.;)

CPAM00
24th Nov 2007, 19:44
No it is not normal that airlines call but I too got a call from Virgin Nigeria.. :) Nice though.

FEDENO
24th Nov 2007, 20:13
CPAM00,

Do you know the name of the woman that calls?And what she does in the company?I was called in a bad time and place (embarking the patient of my flightambulance on the apron of the airport ).

Regards,

Fedeno

CPAM00
26th Nov 2007, 16:25
Sorry Fedeno, no I don't know the name of the woman. I was out at work at the time of when she called. But I am sure it is probably same one that sent the e-mail about the days and times of the interview.

What have you been studying in preperation for the interview?

FEDENO
26th Nov 2007, 16:46
Sorry....I 'm not studing..I wont go at this time....no money..

Good Luck for you there,

:ok::ok::ok::ok:

Babbalito
26th Nov 2007, 20:25
I got a call too. It was Lauren from the recruitment team at LGW. I'll see you chaps there. :ok:

chrislikesblue
26th Nov 2007, 23:03
May i ask the guys/girls who got invited to the interview what is ur experience?(total time,type rating?)
Im just trying to make a Weight & Balance calculation,try to see what the diagram looks like and if i should have a hope to be invited or not.

Babbalito
27th Nov 2007, 19:42
4000+ hrs TT, roughly half jet, half TP and piston.

BALEWA
30th Nov 2007, 22:12
GoodLuck to all the home boys and gals coming in for the interviews this month and hopefully we see y'all soon in lagos. :eek:

B:ok:

airmiles
30th Nov 2007, 22:29
Any last minute tips? :O

hotmj43
2nd Dec 2007, 15:07
Technical ACE PILOT STOCKS have run out, so hold onto yours tight:=

Dr.X
4th Dec 2007, 05:15
Hi any one know if VN actually hires pilots with 220hrs+ like stated on their website??? I got just over 220hrs 737EFIS type rating currently in the US and i want to go back Pls advice on hiring process...

seper
4th Dec 2007, 11:34
"answer is a big yes they do employ people now with low hours,am told but the pay they offer to low timers is quite low," quoting an insider they are termed second officers

socalflyer
5th Dec 2007, 01:07
How much time would you need to be hired on as a first officer with full salary?

hotmj43
6th Dec 2007, 10:57
I would imagine you would be required to have ATP hours,a 733 type rating would not go amiss.Combinations of Turbo prop and jet hours would put you in the Frame.

BALEWA
6th Dec 2007, 15:48
So how did the Interview go people!

Best of luck to all the guys at Gatwick today :ok:

LostAndFound
7th Dec 2007, 02:39
Apart from VK and Arik. who are also recruiting in Nigeria? how about Aero,IRS,Bellview and Corporates like Julius Berger, Dangote etc? Can someone volunteer to give us a some info on other companies and their requirements please.

FEDENO
12th Dec 2007, 17:47
Who did the interview in London and could share with us all the process, the promises, the expectation about the job.

:):):):)

aiellosky
17th Dec 2007, 14:39
Weeelllllll.....How did the interview go???? anyone???

Babbalito
17th Dec 2007, 14:51
Interview panel were a nice team and put you at ease. Seemed to go OK from my perspective but, although a result was promised within the week, still no news. Some of the tech questions were trickier than I'd imagined. Some knowledge of a jet 'similar to a 733' would probably have helped!

FEDENO
18th Dec 2007, 14:01
What about the perspectives to start ? Salary? etc...

hotmj43
19th Dec 2007, 11:10
Were you not told at the interview by the Airline HR representative on the panel,all the meet and Greet hot stuff normally covers ,what you have just asked about.:ugh:

737hustler
23rd Dec 2007, 08:41
Just trying to see how many were successful - anyone else get invited to a simulator assessment? Best of luck if you did...

Golf_Seirra
25th Jan 2008, 05:21
Went for interview in Lagos mid Jan....going for simm check at end of Feb....3 South Africans I know have made it to simm. Waiting for final salary figure.....will post some more info when I get it...

Golf_Seirra
1st Feb 2008, 10:22
For those interested...check out the main VN thread ( merged ), I posted a summary of the interview process. I am interested in housing info for Lagos. Any expats staying in their own pads or locals who know what typical rental rates are for reasonable areas ( island life aside... ) ?

Anyone got practical news on what machines are to replace the 767's....VN interview folks have confirmed they will be phased out....:oh:

Rani
1st Feb 2008, 16:43
Presumably, the 767s will be replaced by A330s. This isn't official yet, though! Knowing VK and the supply side of equipment, don't hold your breath for a decision any time soon! :E

sorelr
9th Feb 2008, 15:39
Did anyone who went for the VN Interview last week in London get a reply yet? :confused: They said that they were going to call latest 8th February no matter if you get invited for the 2nd part or not....

Tiny Tango
10th Feb 2008, 07:57
Hi,

I was there and I haven't received any feedback yet.

TT

Tiny Tango
10th Feb 2008, 08:34
(I'm hoping that's a good sign though...)

TT

freefly_rulz
11th Feb 2008, 18:08
TT, it might not mean much, they have been extremely busy the last few weeks, and we haven't even received our tickets for our sim assessment until 20 hours before we were supposed to depart.

Four of us did the sim assessment in Luton today, and it went very well for me, so hopefully I hear from them in a week or two.... Only time can tell :bored:

I know the next dates for the sim assessments are the 22nd and I think the 28th of Feb... after that, I don't know....

Wait and see..... Africa time :ok:

SherpaDriver
15th Feb 2008, 13:33
I was in the interview class last week and just received word today that VN would be extending an invitation for me to come back to the UK to do the simulator assessment...more details to come.:D

berax
19th Feb 2008, 14:25
Hi there guys

Could someone give us any tips, feedback or/and advise about the sim check with VK

Thanks in advance :ok:

Golf_Seirra
3rd Mar 2008, 10:19
There are some basic tips from a non-rated guy ;

Expect to get your travel ticket late...really late. Try and get hold of Lesley in the UK and confirm via phone. There seems to be a lack of comms from Lagos as the HR people there should confirm your travel details. I landed in the UK after an 11 hour flight and had to walk straight into the simm in Crawley after 30 hours on the trot.

The instructor Stan at Alteon Crawley was really relaxed and helpfull. I had 2 x 250hr chaps with me and he really cut them a lot of slack. Relax, the motto is not to be able to land her or be an ace, but show your true colours, i.e. how do you handle the basics and your learning curve. If you don't show progress, you are not cutting it...

The main lesson is testing your scan. It does not matter what you fly now, just pretend the 300 is like your current machine. It that line try and use some of the basic callouts from your current ops but keep it simple. Don't forget, it's two crew, so ask for the callouts and ask for what you need. Your focus is keeping to the speed and assigned height.

With that in mind, the 300 is flown on the numbers with particular reference to the pitch. Know the basic 60% N1 and 6deg nose pitch rule. The instructor reminds you as he notes you going off heading, height or speed. They do not wait for it to go pie-shaped and watch you sweat. Use that, i.e. listen for his prompts and act accordingly.

Ex 1 is lined up, configured and for T/O. Call for the before take-off check list if he does not confirm complete and cleared for T/O.
Apply power to about 40%, check she responds equally and then set to around 75%. Ask for T/O power. He will then set for you to 80%. Hands now off power levers and eyes outside keeping her straight. Don't fight the rudder....small corrections but like all the inputs on the 300, don't leave them too late. He may call 80 knots, call check, he will call V1 & rotate.....part of the brief he does explain is, pitch the nose to 18deg at 3deg/sec. So, smooth pull and count to 6 aiming for 18deg. He calls positive rate, you call gear up. Remember, feet OFF the rudder....she does not like rudder input once in the air....Now climb at V2+15 till 1000' as per the profile they give you. Call flaps at 150kts and keep her on heading ! If you forget the flap speed or call, don't fuss.....he wants to see you do the basics, i.e. hdg, speed and height. He wants to then see you level out at say 3000', so hands on power level approaching 2500' and start coming back on the power....target, 60% at 6deg pitch. Get to 6deg pitch as soon as possible and hold her there. Don't chase the height or get fixated on the VSI. She flies like a smooth C182.....

Ex 2 You are level and now will have to do a 45deg turn. Start the turn and ask for 2 to 5% extra power. Or even ask set power to maintain 210kts....try and get to 40deg fairly quickly and smoothly. You can then check via your scan what is happening to height...again, react quickly but with very small corrections. Peg the spot of the AH and like an ILS, check for the effect of correction. Then get to 45deg and hold. Scan...scan...scan...she needs about 15deg prior to roll-out heading to make it slick. If you are off height or hdg, correct and get back to target asap. If you are managing he will ask you to accell to 250kts and slow back down to 210.....remember, hands to the throttle and set about 68%. Slowing down, power right off and back to 60% about 5kts above target.

Ex 3 Radar vectors for the ILS via downwind. He will freeze the simm and ask you for a plate brief. Don't just read out the plate, but be proactive as if you were doing the approach. I.e. if it's radar vectored then say NA to various items. Again, do it as per your current A/C or ops. Call the freq and set the DA. Point out to the items you are briefing.... The speed bugs are also set and again, if you forget, just ask him to confirm Vref. Turns are at 25deg and remember you don't need rudder till short finals when you need to counter for crosswind. Keep the scan going and as you start your speed profile slow-down, MAINTAIN height. Call for the descent and before landing checks....capture the LOC and call LOC alive, at around 0.5deg start your turn and go straight onto runway heading plus slight offset for crosswind ( nice to see what works for the chaps ahead of you ). Call the GS alive and gear down and 15 flap at 1 1/2deg ( I think...it's in the profile ). Fly the ILS and remember, she is slippery and requires big throttle off to slow her down. Don't chase the ILS and before you know it, he will call visual and ask you to land. Eyes outside and use the VASI's. Do not use the rudder until you really need too and remember, small corrections before you need big ones. The simm does make it difficult to feel the weight ( approx 42 tones ) but you will quickly see the effect of the centerline drift...catch it. Call the cross ref on the profile and height check ( go around bugs and heights ).

As you get to 30' on the auto callout, keep the power in which is about 55% all the way down the ILS and pitch up about 3deg as you smoothly pull back the power looking for on the stop as you touch down. Either way, she is meant for firm landings and forget the greaser.....watch the rudder, heels on the floor and let the nose down. Both 250hr pilots almost got back in the air again as they tended to treat her like a C150 and hold the nose up. Once down, keep on the centre and reverse. Apply brakes carefully, it better to run further down and let the instructor do the hard braking than you mess up a landing by shooting off the runway....if you do stuff up the landing and he puts you back on 3 miles, remember the simm know the perfect power setting, so don't fiddle...

Ex 4 He will set you up on 3 miles final with one engine inop. Because of the lower power setting, it does not require much rudder input but you must be quick not to get off the ILS. I did not bother to use the rudder trim and found it easier to feel the crosswind. Remember, if you do trim her, don't get distracted.....you can always ask your PNF to trim the ball back to centre.....the only difficulty was that the instructor pulled the reverse on me and I had to hold her with a lot of rudder to keep on the centerline. I did not expect reverse to be used on the single engine approach, so use it before he does.......the one throttle lever was fully retarded and I flew using one only.

I was not asked to do the go-around as he needed more time to let the other chaps try and get their landings in. ( I presume it is as per the profile with you calling for the basics, flap 5, gear up, go-around power...).

Know the speed / flap profile. But remember, you can ask for the next stage if you are not sure or ask to confirm next target speed and to be set in the window.

Use the trim....don't over trim but don't just not use it because it sounds loud.

Fly the attitude....

Otherwise, good fun and flies just like any other machine. The instructor admits it is difficult for guys to come in and fly just raw data. In the training you only get to fly like that after 10 hours in the simm.

Remember if you want to log the time, get the simm registration from outside the unit with it's CAA paperwork on the wall.

Enjoy......

berax
3rd Mar 2008, 10:52
Thank you very much Golf_Seirra for taking the time to write the whole process!!!.
I´m waiting for a date to do the sim check and I´m a little bit scared. Let´s see what happen.
Anyway, thanks again mate, you must be a nice guy. I hope to see you in Lagos.:ok:

Cheers.

Berax

flying paddy
4th Mar 2008, 07:14
Hi

Great post above, but having attended the Sim check at Luton, there are subtle differences. You will not be required to go-around or single engine work, and the instructor says very little, he just lets you get on with it and freezes it when it all goes tits up.

But that said it was very enjoyable, and I learnt quite alot.

If you do go to Luton please brush up on your ADF/NDB tracking as you will be required to track inbound and outbound and if you are unlucky he may have you hold over the beacon.

Enjoy, and hopefully see you in Lagos.

berax
4th Mar 2008, 11:58
Thank you FP!!, all information is wellcome. I´ll bear all that in mind.
Good luck and, as you said, hopefully see you down there.

walla1
4th Mar 2008, 12:54
i have also done the sim assessment in luton , a few weeks ago.
i think it all depends on your instructor.
in the briefing the instructor gsave to us he said that he will give us a take off to 10,000 a few steep turns and then a vectored ILS to manchester. he also said that if our scan is good then we will do a go around and a possible ILS with one engine inoperative. if our scan lags behind then he wont do the go around ... no NDB or holds.
anyway i think it all depends on the instructor.
if you can or have the opportunity to go into a simulator before this check i think it can really help.
of the 4 i know of 2 of us that got in , dont know about the other 2.
good luck !

walla1