PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good start ?

vintage
21st Nov 2007, 15:21
Hello,

I am very interested to start with a JAA CPL ATPL study but I am a little bit worried to start off immediately with a +60K integrated course.
So I am thinking about the following :
Start with my JAA PPL at EFT or OFT.
When I completed my PPL I want to study for the ATPL theorie in Europe and after that I can do the CPL/IR/MEP/MCC and airtime hours back in the USA.
The reason to do the PPL first is that I am 37 and so I am a little bit careful. During my PPL I will gain more knowledge about a pilot carriere and this gives me a better view on investing further in my pilot carriere without having to pay immediatly a big sum of money.
Do you think this is a good way to start in my situation ?

Thanks !

fullrich
21st Nov 2007, 15:53
Yes you are making a very wise decision. And don't listen to the younger not so wise wanabees around here who will tell you that you are too old. Take it one step at a time and you will make it. If not you can give up anytime and say you tried and enjoyed the experience.

Piltdown Man
22nd Nov 2007, 14:37
I presume you live in the Netherlands. If yes, get the cash and go to NLS, Martinair or even KLS. They are good schools, you will be well taught and you will have a better chance of job at the end of it.

PM

Nichibei Aviation
22nd Nov 2007, 16:50
KLS doesn't take students over 30, and it costs 115 000+€

I would say that you are quite old, and I would not recommend you to follow this path, sincerely.

If you are determined, the best thing you can start with is to get your initial medical class 1 exam. It is already quite difficult once you pass the 35 mark (the renewal is easier to pass). Then, you should reconsider yourself: are you fit, are you ready to absorb a big amount of study material?

If you pass the previously mentionned stages, just start with your PPL.

Keep in mind that you have an advantage and a disadvantage:

The advantage is your life experience and maturity.
Your disadvantage is that you are slower at learning and memorising than a 18-yo kid, and that airlines prefer fast learners because of the TR and line-training they will need to invest into you.

Cheers

ab33t
23rd Nov 2007, 07:31
Never say never, Im 44 on the verge of completing my FAA CPL I started about three years ago and the reason it has taken me so long is a medical reason, not as in illness but I could not pass the JAA class 1. Clarification here , I do hold a class1 JAA medical but with a restriction so it means nothing . That is why Im doing the FAA route . Back to the point in case if you have the money and time you could get it all done for +- £30 000 hours and ratings