PDA

View Full Version : How far do you live from your home base?

X-Crew
29th Nov 2001, 20:56
How far do you live from your home base?
Do you commute by plane?
Do you commute the same day you have to work or do you do it the day before in order to avoid being late at work due to a delay or cancelation of your commuter flight?

cabin lad
3rd Dec 2001, 19:27
See you've not had many replies to this so I thought I would.....
I live about 20 minutes away from the airport where I am based. I generally go to work on the same day otherwise I would have to sleep in the car. oh...I don't catch a plane to work either. :D

Just a little bit of light hearted humour as I think we could all do with it!!! ;) ;) :p

[ 03 December 2001: Message edited by: Captain Airhead ]

flapsforty
5th Dec 2001, 01:50
X-crew I live about 1hr 45 mins flying from home base. Commute on staff tickets which cost around 100 US $ for a round trip. :eek:
Always get there the day b4, as comp would not accept any excuse having to do with "no seat" "delay" etc etc.

It's not ideal, but I've been doing it this way for 13 years and it's doable.
Lived 7 hours flying away b4 that, and that was a bit more tricky........ ;)
Hope this helps.

flyblue
5th Dec 2001, 04:01
Similar to Flaps. I live 1h15 of flight from base, travel on company tickets that cost me around 5.5£ (8$) return as crew only pay the airport taxes on European flights in my company. I usually arrive the previous day if it's not an evening flight. I don't think however this could be possible in short-meduim haul operations.

Holy Grail Flaps, how come you pay that much on company tickets??? It's 4 times what I would pay on a ZED fare for my return trip. :eek:

GlueBall
8th Dec 2001, 01:30
Thirty minute drive from airport. That's it! I wouldn't dare to commute further; it would be unpaid personal duty time. Besides, if flying is your occupation there's nothing wrong with living near an airport. As long as the airplanes don't fly over my house, eh? :rolleyes: