PDA

View Full Version : Pegasus Flying Club & Aberdeen Aero Club

llanfairpg
21st Nov 2007, 11:09
Pegasus Flying Club, Dyce, Aberdeen. Owner & CFI, Peter Forbes

Aberdeen Aero Club Dyce, Aberdeen. Owner, William Hanton, CFI, Roger Tribe, Jon Price, Martin Isterling and various others.

I am interested in hearing from anyone who instructed at or who was a student at either of these flying clubs/schools in the 70s and 80s for a forthcoming website, any pictures would be very useful.

Pegasus also had instructors who visited Sumburgh, Dornoch and Kirkwall.

Aberdeen Aero Club supplied an instructor for the early formation of the Bannf Flying Club from Bannf airfield.

I thank you

windriver
21st Nov 2007, 12:02
I`ve sent you a PM

Hyperborean
21st Nov 2007, 12:13
Remember them well. Bill Hanton junior went on to fly with DanAir, Roger Tribe I think went to Loganair.Peter Forbes had other business interests in Orkney. No relevant pics I'm afraid.

llanfairpg
21st Nov 2007, 18:19
Bill jnr was ops director at BMI regional last year. Roger Tribe left Loganair and went to Brymon at Plymouth.

I think PF previously was involved in a dry cleaning business in EDN of GLA. He died a few years ago and was last living in Stonehaven.

Plank Cap
21st Nov 2007, 18:49
I survived Pegasus through to PPL/IMC stage at ABZ in 1985....... Might have the odd photo of surely now defunct Cessna 152.

windriver
21st Nov 2007, 19:04
Anyone else remember Aberdeen Approach's genuinely humorous line...
"Romeo Romeo wherefore art thou..." (150 Aerobat G-BFRR as I recall)

Or the immortal line before being asked to do something unpleasant and almost certainly illegal..."Come on in and share a 'Morangie..."

Sad to hear Peter's slipped the 'surly bonds' though... He was one of a kind.

Red Triumph Stag in car park = bad day
No Red Triumph Stag in car park = good day.

gasax
21st Nov 2007, 19:46
Peter F used to live just over the hill from me. Occasionally he'd wander down to the hangar for a chat during the summer. Must be just over 10 years ago he last showed up (I think he died the following year).

I used to fly RR courtesy of the late John Campbell - another character and one who was somewhat easier on the wallet!

If you're in the area Martin is still sround and flies from Insch.

llanfairpg
22nd Nov 2007, 14:45
Which hill and hangar?

Chookapost
15th Dec 2007, 12:01
I was a studend of the Pegasus offshoot at Tingwall in Shetland during 1978. I was in fact the first solo flight for that particular club. i well remember Peter (Forbes) getting out of the aircraft C152 G-BDOD with the words "onec round the circuit and don't bend the bloody thing". Would love to hear of other students of PF and love to hear from my instructors Gordon Jack and John Gifford.

llanfairpg
15th Dec 2007, 23:27
Stay around will be putting a web site together soon

gasax
17th Dec 2007, 17:16
The hill and hangar are at Cheyne. Peter lived a little to the NW off the Slug

llanfairpg
18th Dec 2007, 13:13
Anyone know what happened to his son and wife?

G-KEST
24th Dec 2007, 15:21
Sorry to learn of Peter Forbes passing. A real character whose personality really shone through. I recall him coming down to Leicester for a FI renewal with me in the early 1980's. His briefing was original but comprehesive, his flying ability good and his instructional technique above average. When it came to the finer points of technical knowledge there was a bit to be desired however he took my critique well and promised faithfully to brush up on this area. I renewed his rating and we said our goodbyes but as a parting gesture he produced a fine bottle of Glenmorangie. Had I not already signed his rating I might have been tempted not to do so at such a blatant bribe. It went down well though.......!!!!

May you rest in peace Peter.

Cheers,

Reaper 69
:ok:

Sandy Hutton
24th Dec 2007, 23:44
You're not trying to tell us that bottle of Glenmorangie is finished already Barry?:{

rotorfossil
25th Dec 2007, 09:08
My other half did her PPL in the eighties with Pegasus, starting out with PF. Notable memories were going to Kirkwall on soloX country, another student being dispatched in the other direction so there could be no cheating... and getting back late. No sign of other chap on return, discovered that he had made a forced landing after what was probably carburettor icing. Nice big field but sadly acrosss the furrows so he couped the Cessna. Not hurt but Peter was pretty cross. DS where are you now? did you ever get your licence?
On an earlier lesson with then new instructor Tim Mason (his first day?) landed back at Aberdeen a couple of minutes after airfield closing and incurring a huge bill. It was the day of the Hillsborough disaster and security were glued to the TV and so they had to break out of the airfield.

llanfairpg
28th Dec 2007, 14:33
Just in the last stage of putting the website together.

PF was a great lover of Glenmorangie and used to run a competion with the change of surface on the main runway which he used to call his Glenmorangie line. If you landed on it you got a bottle!

llanfairpg
28th Dec 2007, 14:36
Just in the last stage of putting the website together. Pictures????

PF was a great lover of Glenmorangie and used to run a competion with the change of surface on the main runway which he used to call his Glenmorangie line. If you landed on it you got a bottle, very few could, he was no fool!

Phileas Fogg
28th Dec 2007, 15:04
I remember Roger Tribe at Brymon, what a nice guy, as sound as a pound.

I occupied the RHS with him in a twotter PLH-ISC-PLH, it was hilarious, we flew low level, not that a twotter can get very high anyway, all the way back, it was a very enjoyable afternoon.

llanfairpg
28th Dec 2007, 17:53
Do you know where Roger is now, he was CFI at Aberdeen Aero Club--

(he once landed at Lossie in a Trilander with zero forward visiblity(PAR) )

Front Row
1st Feb 2008, 09:43
I worked and trained at Pegasus during the eighties, ( still have forearms like Popeye from refuelling via the old handcrank bowser ).

Halcyon days, and oh, what an upbrining for an impressionable teenager. Summer evenings in the old clubhouse, stories jokes and laughter, the air thick with cigar / cigarette smoke, and the unmistakable aroma of the famed 'Morangie hanging around the nostrils.

Yes, Peter made his final departure a few years ago, and though he could undoubtably be a rogue, I remember him with a genuine affection.

llanfairpg : PM sent.

llanfairpg
1st Feb 2008, 12:45
Thanks for all that

Peter was a loveable rogue but an immense character, one of aviations finest, I certainly learnt a lot from him.

Do you have instructors names you can share with us.

web site coming soon!

Ref the bowser do you remember Peters saying

'a mickle make a muckle' (put the fuel drain petrol back in the bowser!)

Front Row
1st Feb 2008, 14:22
Re Instructors,

A few throughout the years that come instantly to mind, though I'm sure that there are others locked away somewhere :

Peter Scott - ( gave me my Trial lesson, but had left by the time I started working there )
Kevin Wigginton, (One of the funniest guys I ever met, went on to fly for BMI I believe.)
Fiona Paton ( Nee Fraser )
David Sherlock (Not sure where now - but did a good job of helping me train my liver for the years ahead !)
John Allan ( Great guy - now at BMI )
Frank Brown ( Another great bloke - also now BMI )
Simon Wood ( Part Time - Bristows )
Jerry Hart ( Part time - Bcal Heli's )
Neil Cathmoir ( Part-Time )
Andy Dixon ( filled in as CFI while Peter Forbes was on holiday - subsequently Air Atlantique and South Coast Airways )
Derek Kidd ( Part time )
Camilla Daser (Spelling ?)
Alan Boswell (Part Time - Bristows)
Hamish Ross ( not instructing at the time, but understood he went on to do so at White Waltham ?)

There were another couple of "Simons" who were chopper jockeys and instructed part time, but I can't recall their surnames right now.

Memories....Having to call ATC after spotting the Grumman Tiger taxiing across the East Apron for take off with all three tie downs attached .....Looking out the window just in time to see a 150 flip onto its back due to a gust and a passing chopper....Falling through the clubhouse toilet floor whilst having a pee...hiding aircraft for when Peter came back from Holiday...Fritz the flying dog.... Christmas parties at the SkeanDhu, to name but a few.

llanfairpg
2nd Feb 2008, 10:39
Excellent!!!!!!!!

Peter managed to fly a C150 to Kirkwall with the tow bar still attached!!!!

Plus land a C150 at Glen Shee with a pair of skis tied to the mainwheels--it tipped over!!!!

More soon

Front Row
2nd Feb 2008, 23:46
In later years he was to be heard claiming that the Glen Shee incident was an attempt to prove that a 150 could be a useful tool for evacuation of casualties !!!....when in fact all he wanted was a day on the piste !!

Another Peterism.....Technical groundschool.......

Peter.....What's this then ?
Student .....It's a Heat Exchanger !
Peter....B*ll*cks it is.....Brass Brown B*ggery Box....that's what it is !!!

Oh and another couple of instructors that I left off the list....
Tim Mason ( and his Jack Russell " Chuck " that used to widdle indiscriminately on anything that didn't move...you soon learned not to stand still).

Ruth Wood ( husband bill was a chopper pilot )

llanfairpg
3rd Feb 2008, 11:24
Jim Alexandra who i understand sent the student to Wick who had a fatal

Malcolm Cummings from ATC

What happened in the end? How did Pegasus finish, anyone know?

llanfairpg
3rd Feb 2008, 11:27
Did Fiona Paton work in a Whiskey Distillery?

Richard Taylor
4th Feb 2008, 19:05
Guys, I think Pegasus was acquired by Tayside Av or Tayside Fly Club, mid 90s, something like that?

Front Row
5th Feb 2008, 09:37
Right, A couple to answer here.....

Jim Alexander..I remember Jim. Think he used to be on Viscounts before going to TNT on 146's. Had a Jodel, and then a Stampe, which I was fortunate enough to fly a couple of times with him. The Stampe ( G-BKRK ) was sponsored by the Runway Inn ( large letters down the side of the fuselage ) and I think Jim used to compete it. Jim sold the Stampe and the last time I saw it it was sitting, wings off, in a hanger at Aboyne.

Fiona as far as I know, didn't work in a Whiskey Distillery, although the top drawer of the office filing cabinet could pass for one at times !!!!

Pegasus was indeed aquired by Tayside in the late eighties. For one reason or another (pretty sure it was medical), Peter was going to lose his ticket. By this time, a new clubhouse had been built ( beside the fire station and still occupied by the the resident flight training organisation today) which had put a large strain on the fortunes of the club. Tayside took over with two resident instructors - Ken Cassidy and Jim Downie.

Don't know Malcolm Cummings, But we did have a few ATC who used to fly with us. Geoff Greavey, Paul Mayhew, (Andy ?) Badham, Ian Revell are a few that I recall.

Oh, and another Instructor...Phil Murgatroyd. Phil was also ATC at Aberdeen before he decided to swap over to the other end of the mike ! The last time I saw Phil, I was on an oil shuttle flight from Unst in the Shetland Islands operated by Brymon utilising Dash 7's. Phil noticed me getting on, and let me have the jump seat on the way back. This was of course, back in the days that you could do this. Not sure where Phil is now, but hope he's doing well.

A few casualties ( aircraft wise ) during my time there but fortunately no fatalities.
G-BEWP (150 ) went off the end of the runway at Aboyne, flipped and was W/O
G-BFFY (150) was the one mentioned earlier in the thread that went across the furrows.
G-ATNK (150) was blown over whilst sitting on the pan - W/O
G-BMCI (172) damaged wing in same incident.
G-BFJM (152) had a lucky escape after cutting Phone / Power wires close to Insch Airfield, but was later W/O in a separate incident.

windriver
5th Feb 2008, 17:24
These are piccies from circa 1978-9 when I was hour building for my AFI course ...

The BEWP pic was either taken at Kirkwall, Tingwall or Sumburgh... epic flights in a 152 from Aberdeen.

The AA5 was popular for charters... er sorry I mean air experience flights for Peter's "friends".

http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/Pegasus-1.jpg

http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/Pegasus-2.jpg

After positioning aircraft for Peter I regularly used to cadge a lift back to Aberdeen with Dan Air.... Just mention my name said Peter... worked every time.

llanfairpg
5th Feb 2008, 19:58
You guys had it made--when I was there the club was a mere touring caravan.Notice I said a touring caravan not a static caravan. it was just big enough for me to stretch a student out on the floor and give them one! It used to really rock on the vinegar strokes!

Tail-take-off
18th Feb 2008, 11:46
JIM ALEXANDER moved to Lichfield & flew the 146 for TNT. His Stampe went with him (& Ronnie Allen). They sold it on & it returned to Insch with it's new owners. Jim had been the first person to land at Insch (he was co-owner with Ken Wood) in the said Stampe. Jim bought a Pitts as a replacement but had to bail out when it wouldn't come out of a spin. Last I heard he had another Jodel.

KEVIN WIGGINTON is still with bmi based at Edinburgh.

MALCOLM CUMMINGS was a training captain based at Glasgow with bmi for many years. He retired a few years ago & was last heard of flying for Globespan.

PHIL MURGATROYD was last heard of at City Star Airlines at Aberdeen.

llanfairpg
19th Feb 2008, 08:12
I remember Jim at Alidair on the Viscount, he was sadly involved with the student who was killed at Wick, 8 octas at 200 feet spun in on finals, on a qualifying cross country!!!

MIKECR
3rd Mar 2008, 09:37
Front Row/Tail-Take-Off,

Phil Murgatroyd was until recently the Chief Pilot with Citystar Airlines. Not sure where Phil is now though since Citystar's demise last month.

MIKECR
3rd Mar 2008, 10:25
and forgot to mention.....my old man flew at Pegasus and also latterly at Boyndie. I think he was the secretary there. He sems to remember many of the instructors(as previously mentioned) and also Hamish Bhosle and Keith Durbidge. He seemed to think it was Keith who would position a 150 from abz to Boyndie at weekends

Kiltie
3rd Mar 2008, 14:32
Keith Durbidge was CFI at Highland Aero Club in Inverness 1978-1989 approx. They operated a Cessna 150/152 from Boyndie in the early 80s.

Ruth Wood (nee Mullineux) was one of his AFIs before moving on to BritWorld Viscounts at ABZ as I remember. I last heard her and Bill had retired to the west coast of Scotland.

llanfairpg
3rd Mar 2008, 20:20
I remember cadging a lift back from Sumburgh on a Dan 748, sadly the captain was the guy involved in the one that went off the new westerley runway at Sumburgh with both flight deck killed.

Hyperborean
4th Mar 2008, 22:10
At the risk of thread creep, the Danair 748 accident occured on take off from 09 at Sumburgh. Not a new runway, it was built during the war but was upgraded in the mid 70s. Mainly by establishing cleared and graded areas, the groundworks into the sea were done to provide RESAs and a bit of ground for some approach lighting. The accident was one of the saddest days of my life. I knew all of the crew and some of the pax and it happened on the day I left Shetland to go to the S Pacific. I flew from Scatsta to Glasgow, in a 748, and hired a car to drive south. The radio reports started as I was passing Beattock and my immediate thought was that it was the aircraft I had just flown in on its return to Scatsta, as Sumburgh had been fogged out that morning. I arrived at my parents' house to some very worried faces.

Rhys Perraton
7th Mar 2008, 06:14
Hi there, this is Rhys Perraton, I was flying for Bristows in the 70's and did quite a lot of instucting at Pegasus.
Happy Days.......LOTS of stories.

5 Greens
7th Mar 2008, 16:45
I did my IMC rating with Pegasus at their Glenrothes base in 82. Instructor was Blackmore what happened to him? Peter did my IMC Test wanted me to do a VDF approach in EDI.

FALCONS CRUTCH
8th Mar 2008, 17:08
Was the Dan Air 748 incident the one which the final Accident Report alleged that the Control Locks had somehow - re. engaged during the take - off roll ? and the crew were unable to lift - off . If I remember correctly - you had to remove the the control locks to come out of Ground Fine Pitch in order to select T / Off power.

Hyperborean
9th Mar 2008, 11:11
My recollection of the accident report is that the control locks became re-engaged after the take off commenced. The suspicion was that non approved replacement parts had been fitted, probably during the aircraft's service in S America.

youngskywalker
11th Mar 2008, 15:48
How is the website coming along? I'd like to see it. Not ex Pegasus myself although I remember it well, I joined the new Aberdeen flying club (Tayside) in the early 90's.

Tail-take-off
4th Apr 2008, 21:49
The Stampe ( G-BKRK ) was sponsored by the Runway Inn ( large letters down the side of the fuselage )

http://www.aircraftworlddirectory.com/civil/s/stampe2.jpg

G-BKRK is currently with Andy McCluskie at Little Gransden & will be the prototype for the LOM engine conversion. When complete it will return to Insch.

olicam
6th Apr 2008, 15:20
Phil Murgatroyd is now employed with Flight Line in ABZ with Martin Insterling. Both were employed by City Star Airlines

Front Row
14th Apr 2008, 16:38
G-BKRK is currently with Andy McCluskie at Little Gransden & will be the prototype for the LOM engine conversion.

Nice to know that an old entry in the log book will be back in the air where she belongs !

Harking back to a post further down the thread, Fiona Payton - or Fraser as she was at the time - was a hostie for Air Ecosse prior to instructing. Not much room in a 150 cockpit, and pretty girl as she was, concentration levels could wander a bit !

Anyone know what happened to the boards that used to be on the wall of the clubhouse listing all the names of those who completed first solo's, PPL's, Night, IMC etc....bet a few memories would be jogged looking at them !!

And is it just me, or does anybody else remember Peter taking an in-ordinately long time to adjust female students' shoulder straps for them ! ;)

Gelande Strasse
18th Aug 2008, 10:53
and pretty girl as she was....

......and I bet she still is! I used to work with her husband, Chris but I lost track of them years ago when I left Aberdeen.

Someone must know where they are.

As for Kevin Wigginton - nice chap, I thought he used to work for Dan Dair.

GS

YankPilot
28th Oct 2008, 20:54
I remember Pegasus well. Got my PPL and IMC there in the mid 80s. I too wonder what happened to the board with all the names. Gone to the trash heap, probably.

Fiona was pretty but all business in the cockpit.

Does anyone have contact information for Kevin Wigginton? I'm planning a trip to the UK next summer and would like to see him. if anyone does, just reply to this post and I'll post an email address.

I noticed in one of the earlier posts that Frank Browne is flying for BMI. That's a surprise since he has one artificial foot and the other one is a block of fused bone. He had quite a long fight just to get his PPL back after his accident. Don't see how he could have gotten his commercial license.

My favorite memory - trying to land G-TYGA (the Tiger) at Perth. Could not get it to stop porpoising, finally had to pretty much slam it into the runway. Luckily, no damage done. Another one - in one of the 150s doing circuits for so long, Peter finally had to call the tower and ask them to radio me to come back in because he needed the plane for lessons.

Whatever happened to Stan - the American who had the private flying service at Dyce? Funny character. Last I knew he was hanging out with Moira, Peter's ex-wife.

Front Row
29th Oct 2008, 11:22
YankPilot.

I was in contact with Kevin a few weeks ago. If you would like details, just PM me.

Frank is indeed With BMI here in Aberdeen flying Embraer jets (also training captain as far as I know). John Allan, ( another name you might remember) is also there with him. You're right though, he did have a struggle getting back to flying, but in typical Frank style, never gave up and never gave in. :ok:

The Stan that you're referring to was Stan Brady who used to operate as Aberdeeen Aviation Ltd out of a house on the corner of Cordyce view, right opposite the old Pegasus clubhouse. A rotound chap and always to be seen in a set of old coveralls. Think Moira was doing admin / the books for him etc. Stan owned 172 G-BEZV ( still based at Aberdeen) for a while and also had a Cessna 210 Centurian G-ASXR which ended wheels up in a field to the South of Aberdeen if my memory serves.

As for slamming the Tiger into Perth. Well they were known for porpoising and floating, but also known for that pesky sprung nosewheel snapping as well if the transition from air to ground was too severe !! Nice machine all the same though, used to enjoy flying it.

Cheers

youngskywalker
29th Oct 2008, 15:47
I saw the old board with the various member names and details on them fairly recently (certainly within the last 18 months), I'm pretty sure their were two or three boards. Probably kept up in the small loft in the Club building (or rather what is now the Signature flight support).

YankPilot
4th Nov 2008, 15:54
Front Row - PM sent. Hope you got it. Thanks very much.

Front Row
10th Nov 2008, 19:29
YoungSkywalker,

Thanks for that. There were at least 5 boards that I can remember, If only three have survived, then I suppose that's better than nothing at all, and would shake a few memories !

You seem to be in the know re the set-up in the building nowadays, I wonder if you'd have a contact name I could talk to. I'd be very interested in having a look at the boards again.

windriver
19th Jan 2009, 10:15
Found this piece of Forbesiana lurking at the bottom of a drawer....:)
(It's a car window sticker from circa 1978)

http://www.aviationancestry.com/peg.jpg

Floppy Link
19th Jan 2009, 15:33
Just checked my logbook...was checked out in G-BFFY by David Sherlock on 30 April 84. 6th and 8th May I took up some friends from Uni. One of those friends has just started as a direct entry Captain with Eastern on the SAAB 2000, having previously been with ScotAirways and CityStar.

Phil Murgatroyd is now on the SAAB2000 with Eastern after the recent demise of Flightline.

Some photos which I found recently by accident when clearing out stuff...

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc264/Boecopter/fy.jpg

and

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc264/Boecopter/jm1.jpg

and

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc264/Boecopter/jm2.jpg

(originals available if you're still planning the website)

much2much
19th Jan 2009, 21:38
yank pilot
pitsburg and rain check,/i met somone over christmas who had seen kevin
and cliff ch* recently,cliff still midland , A330 ,( kevin may also be ;it was a very short chat!)and probably knows of his fury boots ,would like to see them both again i gather they may still share the same "hobby"

YankPilot
20th Jan 2009, 17:16
Thanks for the reply.

Kevin is at bmi driving some sort of jet. Since he's not in jail I have to assume he is not reciting poetry to the passengers. Have tried to contact him every way I can find but no luck yet. Kevin is definitely his own person.

much2much
20th Jan 2009, 17:21
yank pilot
we need to set a beer trap;

YankPilot
20th Jan 2009, 17:49
Beer trap? Easily done and would undoubtedly snag Kevin. The question is, what do we do with the other 1,546,892 blokes who fall for it?

Pull what
5th Feb 2009, 16:51
The website is up and running

Plank Cap
6th Feb 2009, 15:22
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e172/ruplaw/GA/img227.jpg

Must apologise for any offence taken by hairstyles and footwear!!

Remember being instructed by John Allan, Jerry Hart, Simon Wood and of course Peter. After finishing my PPL / IMC / Night Rating, I went on to fly the S76 for the then Bond Helicopters at ABZ. Now living in Dubai flying for Emirates Airlines.
Regards to all.

much2much
9th Feb 2009, 08:22
jerry hart ,what happened to him i recall merlin aviation with the cessna turbo prop last i heard of him; any one know?.when i responded to this i thought of alan hart ;but deffinetly not the same,;g-nk was at gla for a while i think.must dig out the log book;jerry ex fleet air arm?

Front Row
9th Feb 2009, 17:08
Rupert Lawson First Solo.

I remember the day...am I right in thinking you were working for Bond in ops at the time ? NK looks nice and shiny there....must have done a good job of cleaning it that week !!

NK died after being blown onto it's back by a combination of high winds and a hover taxi-ing B-Cal S61,Have a pic somewhere, will try and find and post. We reckoned that when it got flipped onto its back it was the fastest rate of climb it had ever experienced ! :eek:

Front Row
9th Feb 2009, 17:14
much2much,

Yep you're right. Jerry was Ex Navy and jockying 214's for B-Cal Helicopters when not part-time instructing at the club.

Pull what
10th Feb 2009, 17:34
Keep the memories coming please

Frankie B
11th Feb 2009, 14:55
:ok: I discovered Jerry Hart 1.5 years ago, flying in British Columbia.

His email was/is: [email protected]
& he wants to hear from old chums.

Pull what
19th Feb 2009, 12:57
Anyone with Pegasus or Aberdeen pics of the 70s please contact me

AIR LOVER
26th Apr 2009, 11:05
Hi,
Peter's last wife ,Mora, passed away in the early 1990's of alcohol related illness.
I believe that his son still lives in the Duthie terrace house that was the family home before Peter daparted with the latest love of his life Maralyn in about 1986/7

he was one of a kind and I'll never forget his patience when I couldn't get the hang of crosswind landings.
Mind you ,looking back, the said winds were probably out of limits anyway!
Ken

AIR LOVER
26th Apr 2009, 11:18
I remember doing one of these,more by luck than good jugement I fear , when PF was instructing me for my IMC.
Back at the Club house I was offered a 'nip' of the amber nectar, but explained that I had better not as I was taking my wife out for a meal in an hour or so's time.
Peter accepted this and then the usual casual de briefing took place during the course of which he casualy asked if we were going anywhere special. Of course I told him the venue.
About halfway through the second predinner drink, PF and wife strolled in and joined us.
No prises fo guessing who paid for the ensuing meal!:)

AIR LOVER
26th Apr 2009, 11:28
Does anyone remember an instructor in the early 80's called stewart someone . I think he was a native of Orkney.
Any one remember the first 150 I ever flew when I joined in 1982 ;OSCAR CHARLEY? Or what happened to it?

Also does any one remember my first instructor Nigel Scholley or what he's doing now.:O

Kiltie
30th Apr 2009, 08:55
Stewart Linklater?

biscuit74
1st May 2009, 17:35
"G-BEWP (150 ) went off the end of the runway at Aboyne, flipped and was W/O"

Yes, I recall that incident. Who was driving that one ? Was there some background story there?

Front Row
3rd May 2009, 09:12
Does anyone remember an instructor in the early 80's called stewart someone . I think he was a native of Orkney.

Yep, Stewart Linklater it was, and yes he is an Orcadian. After completing his CPL Stewart went on to fly Islanders around the Islands. According to Kirkwall Airport Info site, he is still up there as Senior pilot for Loganair.

Front Row
3rd May 2009, 09:50
Any one remember the first 150 I ever flew when I joined in 1982 ;OSCAR CHARLEY? Or what happened to it?

Air Lover,
From what I can make out, G-BGOC ( 152) was involved in a crash / incident on the 26th Jan 1983. Looking at the CAA's G-Info site, it was de-registered by the CAA on the 3rd April 1989. Considering it was not registered to anyone else apart to Elliot Forbes (Kirkwall) Ltd ( Peters dry cleaning business ) after this date I would assume that it never took to the skies again.....but I could be wrong.

Anyone out there know any different or the nature of the incident on the 26th Jan 83 ??

Horsefeathers
4th Jun 2009, 18:40
Re a much earlier post, Fenella Miller used to work in a distillery. Other names which haven't cropped up are Liz Hargreaves who instructed along with her husband-to-be Paul Gliddon (who flew for Bristows) and Ros Grant who may have gone on to do her commercial rating. Also an occasional instructor was, I think, Graham Rutson (Red Arrows) - he lived down at Portlethen and had an Afghan Hound called Muchalls!

Ian Padden, who lived out at Netherly Lodge and worked with Vetco, used to fly with Pegasus, but also had a share in an old Auster which used to lumber around the airport from time to time - it was known as the flying budgie. Ian went on to captain the British Aerobatic Team.

Another grand old character of the time was Sidney Bichan, an old chap from Orkney, who renewed his licence late in life. He was a gent. And some may remember David Buchan, just a lovely, obliging wee lad about 12 years old when I knew him, worked all hours doing the jobs no-one else wanted to do, in return for some flying. I heard he went on to become a commercial captain.

I have a good quality b&w photo of the lady pilots from Pegasus, taken the morning after the annual prizegiving - I think the subjects are Liz Hargreaves, Brenda (?), Sheila Scott (who presented the prizes the night before), Fenella Miller and Moira Forbes - all with sair heids!

Can't believe Moira has passed on; shock news, that.

Will never forget the first time Peter and I went up to practise stalling and spinning. As we were well above 6,000ft, Peter told me I could go back to the Skean Dhu for the usual evening festivities and tell everyone that I had joined the mile-high club. I was from a rural background, and very young and naive then - so that's exactly what I did! Oh, the shame!

Pegasas had two or three C150s, including G-AXPF, and one of Peter's little sayings, announced regularly on the downwind leg when flying this aircraft was, to the huge irritation of ATC, "Peter Forbes, downwind"!

Other craft were G-AVMD, which I think was the one Peter landed on top of Cairngorm, and which had to be carted down in installments, and the Aerobat G-BACN.

Remembering also Jock, and Mike McCann (from Manchester), in ATC.

This was all mid seventies, if memory serves correctly.

Front Row
5th Jun 2009, 15:12
Horsefeathers,

Some good memories there. I remember Peter showing me some pictures of Sheila Scott, though they were of her handing out prizes / plaques, and not of the morning after !!

Re David, his father, Bill Buchan, also worked at Pegasus from the mid-eighties up until it was sold and then continued with Tayside aviation until he retired. David unfortunately never achieved his ambition to go commercial due to Medical issues ( diabetes I think ).

gasax
8th Jun 2009, 13:21
"G-BEWP (150 ) went off the end of the runway at Aboyne, flipped and was W/O"

From memory it was Kev Wiggington in the right hand seat - about 2 weeks after my trial lesson with him!

I mainly flew with Peter after that (about 10 or 12 hours) until I realised that Tayside were cheaper and much more reliable! The transit to Inverness to do circuits was getting rather expensive.

The Hawk
9th Jun 2009, 12:56
Anyone remember the reg, of a tipsy nipper or who owned it that operated from Pegasus the last time i seen it they were having problems with the engine and it would not start. Anyway they got it going and they took off this resulted in a engine failure over bucksburn and i believe she landed in a field somewhere about the golf course with only slight damage after striking a wall..

Frankie B
9th Jun 2009, 14:50
Long time ago, but I believe John Smith kept his Tipsy Nipper at Dyce for a while. He was the Chief Pilot for Dan Air ABZ (748's) at the time. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Cheers,

Frankie

Edthedruid
11th Jun 2009, 15:49
I remember a chap who owned Pegasus Dry Cleaners in Perth and operated a Cessna 150 out of Scone (Perth) when I worked there in 1968/69. Would that have been Peter Forbes?

Horsefeathers
11th Jun 2009, 19:32
Robbie Roberts (?) from Nairn (?) used to visit with his Tipsy Nipper from time to time.

Re previous post: Peter Forbes? Almost certainly!

Kiltie
13th Jun 2009, 17:39
Trevor "Robbie" Roberts had G-AWDD based at Inverness in the eighties. He has been out of aviation for some years following a spell as a C-47 Dakota FO with Air Atlantique and now runs a taxi in Inverness.

Front Row
15th Jun 2009, 12:08
Edthedruid

Yep, Peter had dry cleaning businesses in Perth and in Kirkwall. If I remember rightly, the aircraft were often owned by / registered to these businesses and leased back to Pegasus.

gasax

Rightly said, it was indeed Kevin in the right hand seat of WP when it went over. Circuits at Inverness....Longside must have been closed was it ??;)

gasax
15th Jun 2009, 14:04
Peter's interpretation of the rules could be 'flexible'. I started circuits at Longside but it was 'not available' after that - never did find out why! Then we went to Fordoun until John Campbell who ran the group there which I later joined, chased Peter out of there. And so that left Inverness. Largely I suspect because Peter wanted to keep his students as far away from Tayside as he could!

After I changed to Tayside I did pass my Air Law exam - the issues of unlicensed airfields never came up at Tayside!

windriver
15th Jun 2009, 17:44
gasax said Peter's interpretation of the rules could be 'flexible'

You mean things like the "Air Experience Flights" from Aberdeen to Inverness...

or perhaps the "Trial Lessons for 3" to Teeside in the AA5

or even the Raffle Winners prizes of one way flights to Kirkwall.

gasax
16th Jun 2009, 12:03
My lasting memory of Peter is him asking me for 'the most important flying document I possessed'. As I offered my logbook he deftly reached for my adjacent cheque book and said ' no dear boy - this is much more important'!

Front Row
16th Jun 2009, 15:29
Flights up to Dallachy trying to catch poachers on the River Spey was another one.

startall4
3rd Mar 2010, 21:32
Reading every post has brought many memories flooding back. I worked for Peter from May 77 till the end of 79 after doing my PPL there in '76 with Dave Buchan .
I started as a general dogsbody cleaning the a/c etc.and thanks to PF ended up as a QFI and taught at Aberdeen and Tingwall. I was tasked with redoing those boards as the originals were a bit tatty. Painting the blue Pegasus' on the tails of the newer a/c, GBDOD GBEWP GBFJM. GBDCK (Grumman AA5) was also something Peter got me to do.
A couple of names that of that era that haven't been mentioned are instructors Nigel Tilsley and Sheena Reid ( Aberdeen Aero Club) David James Dave Robinson and Gerry Howie and one of the nicest people and finest pilots I have ever met, Peters local instructor examiner Dan Air 748 skipper Ray Elliot.

Back to the Nipper GAZBA. I was, according to the Aberdeen Evening paper, the "Boy Pilot Escapes As Plane Hits Wall". The engine lost all power just after t/o. It was all looking good but the wall jumped up and caught the u/c!
The a/c was badly damaged and sold on. I got out ok with not a scratch although I got a bit of a fright! The AAIB came to the conclusion that it was probably carb icing as they couldn't find anything else wrong.

A couple of a/c that Peter was involved with that have slipped "under the radar" were a Lake Buccaneer amphibian and an Aero Commander 500B.
Both were owned by others but Peter managed to get his hands on them for limited club use.
I must know many of you posters as I was there constantly as I don't remember Peter giving me any days off!
Happy days.
Graham Kidd
p.s. pm me for a blether but I am relying on email notification of a message.

Frankie B
4th Mar 2010, 13:51
How great to see you here!

Do you remember Strathallan where you, Martin Isterling, Steve Aitcheson & I used to jump out of Ronnie Groats C207? I have a pic of you in your parachute surrounded by adoring females.

Have you checked out Jon Price's blog: "My time at Aberdeen"?

Cheers & all the best,

Frankie

CJ1234
10th Mar 2010, 18:39
I've been asked to post a link to the Pegasus Flying Club

So here it is:

https://sites.google.com/site/pegasusflyingclubaberdeen/

Pondskater
19th Mar 2010, 13:04
Found these two old press cuttings tucked in a photo album from the mid/late 80s:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc106/pondskater/2361.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc106/pondskater/2360.jpg

NK the right way up:
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc106/pondskater/2373.jpg

I did a few hours at Pegasus while in the city - a big difference from the club I learnt to fly at.

Allan

Pull what
2nd Apr 2010, 16:27
Great pictures!
Real pilots fly in Scotland!

NorthSouth
2nd Apr 2010, 16:54
Why is it that so many flying clubs are run by cowboys? Poor David Smith with his "fuel problems" over a snow-blanketed Angus. Who on earth authorised that flight? I'd like to think we've moved on since then, but now we're at the other end of the spectrum - massive bureaucracy, ridiculous security requirements, risk aversion everywhere.

Great to hear all the "war stories" but what interests me is keeping GA going now. Hearing what a bunch of idiots people were in the past doesn't help that.

NS

Plank Cap
29th May 2010, 11:47
Sad to see the picture of NK lying on her back - my first solo flown in that aircraft. If I remember correctly, strong winds and one of BCal H's hovering helicopters may have had an input............... Also flew the ill fated FK before her conversion to agricultural machine upside down in that field. Happy days.........

Pull what
1st Jun 2010, 11:56
I did a few hours at Pegasus while in the city - a big difference from the club I learnt to fly at.

Come on Alan dont keep us in suspense!

Front Row
15th Jul 2010, 00:57
I was there the day that NK was blown over. It did indeed happen as a B-Cal S-61 taxied (hover taxied) past the pan. NK wasn't the only aircraft affected though, C-172 G-BMCI also suffered a bent wing tip as it too was tipped up. It was sitting at right angles to the chopper whereas NK was sitting nose on. CI was repaired, but as the press clipping says, NK was a write off and left Aberdeen minus its wings on the back of a trailer. Have the pictures somewhere, and will post them if I can find them.

We managed to get NK back on it's feet a couple of days later with a stout tow rope and a vehicle.....though I can't remember what vehicle it was !

Steve.

SMCBR
16th Aug 2010, 18:29
Hi GK,
SR here. Ever see GJ?

My goodness, the past certainly is another country.
Great to hear about you and others from those days.
:)

Roger Tribe taught me to fly.
Great bloke and great instructor.

startall4
5th Sep 2010, 09:29
Dear Lady
Happy days indeed.
All those questions as we wheeled the a/c out. I couldn't answer them now!
GJ is still around and I see him from time to time. He is a 777 skipper and I think he is back living on a boat on the west coast.
I still remember fondly the trip you took me on in a Moth (ACDC ?) at Redhill. :ok: Have you still got the white silk scarf!?
Trust you are well.
GK

dashingwhitesergeant
29th Nov 2011, 17:38
Really enjoyed reading all these comments. Brought back memories for me. I started at Pegasus (age 16) in early 1979; 1st solo a few days after 17th birthday; PPL a week or so after 18th. I remember Graham Kidd, Graham Dempsey, Peter Scott, Peter Forbes (of course!) + others mentioned above. In about 1982/3 I took off for Tayside Aviation after PF asked me to fly to Carlisle in bad weather (low visibility) to work (illegally) doing aerial photography jobs for someone who was to meet me at Carlisle Airport. Anyway, at the Borders I turned back to ABZ because I was not comfortable continuing with low visibility to Carlisle. PF was mad at me, made me pay for 3-4 hours flying (I think). So I quit Pegasus after that. I started flying again at Aberdeen when PF was not around. Nowadays I don't fly. I'm working Canada & other places in oil-field directional drilling. But I WISH I had become an airline pilot.
Loved reading all these posts

oldaberdeen
8th Dec 2011, 12:31
I thought this thread might be dead, and was pleased to see another latecomer to the party.

I started to learn with AAC back in 1980, in G-BFFW, with instructors Flett, Burch, Budd and Peace (mainly Budd & Flett), and once with Tilsley in G-BFNK (if I'm reading my log book correctly). I remember the portacabins well. It was a great club - very relaxed and informal. On a nice day I'd just phone up and see if anyone was around to take me up. My first flight was a bit scary. The instructor put the plane into a spin. The plane tipped over onto my side, the door was sucked open and I found myself looking out of the door at the ground beneath. I survived that and had a great time with them. Everyone was very friendly. I was aware of an undercurrent of rivalry with Pegasus, but it never really came to the surface in my presence. I went to Buckie Farm to see Mabel a few times, and was past there earlier this week - it's now a carvery on the Parkway, surrounded by a housing estate. I struggled to recognise it.

Pull what
15th Dec 2011, 20:47
Fit like! Its still alive!

Red White and Blue
27th Dec 2011, 06:13
What an experience it all was. Shame it had to end!!!

Superneep
12th Feb 2012, 02:58
I hope that it hasn't really ended yet, but oh what a lot of memories flooding back.

I arrived at the Aberdeen Aero Club in, I think, 1975. My first lesson was with Jon Price, who showed me how to taxi onto the runway and then simply said, "Take off"! Hang on, thought I, I thought that you were supposed to teach me how...

My main instructor and friend was Martin Isterling, although I remember many others. On a solo cross country to the north of Aberdeen (unfamiliar territory to me), I got gloriously lost and mistook the tiny gasworks at Banff for the larger variety at Peterhead. My 45 minute flight took two hours, and I had about three litres of fuel left when I landed. Those were the two most educational hours of my life. Upon my return I was nicknamed 'Superneep' (Extreme Turnip, to the uninitiated), a name which has stayed with me ever since.

Sadly, shortly after getting my PPL (GFT with Ray Elliot - a really nice guy if ever there was one), I got married and money ran out so aerial activities ceased. I don't mind - those were some of the happiest days of my life, or am I just getting old and sentimental?

I heard recently that Martin was seriously ill, but have heard nothing since. Does anybody know any more?

Happy days, and thanks for the memories!

Superneep (aka Henry).

Croqueteer
12th Feb 2012, 08:57
:ok: Hullo Neeper! Martin was seriously ill but is now recovered with a lot of steel inside. He is still flying, owning a cessna 120. If I can work out how to send you a msg I will send you his phone no if you want.

Frankie B
13th Feb 2012, 14:29
Superneep, I'll send you a p m re Martin.

Pull what
14th Feb 2012, 17:42
Superneep- Jon Price's blog

https://sites.google.com/site/pegasu...gclubaberdeen/ (https://sites.google.com/site/pegasusflyingclubaberdeen/)

Frankie B
15th Feb 2012, 14:51
Does anyone remember a CFI named Eric something - mid-50's, ex-RAF, who came to ABZ from the sandpit? He used to regale us students with stories of his exploits in the middle east, where he "ate with princes & dined with kings".

I'll not forget doing aeros with Eric in the Chipmunk one day. As we got to the top of a climb just before practicing a stall, he put his hand on my leg & squeezed my inner thigh. Crikey! Just wonder if he ever got his just desserts!

Schiller
16th Feb 2012, 12:57
He had excellent taste, Frankie, I'll give him that!

Rhys Perraton
16th Feb 2012, 17:24
That's good news about Martin Isterling. Not so good news is that Nigel Riddle, "The Womble", Pegasus dogsbody who I sent on his first solo, committed suicide a couple of years ago.
Anyone know what happened to Michael Levarcyk, might not be spelt right, crazy Kraut North Sea diver, who loved to do aerobatics, including on a very early solo flight, and at night. Probably my fault for encouraging him.
Heard recently from Paul and Liz Gliddon, via a coincidence of both being at Great Oakely airfield last year. They are retired recently and dividing time between UK and Australia. Have a Hornet Moth now.
Frankie, more information is needed about the Chipmunk, who was on top ?

bcgallacher
17th Feb 2012, 14:09
Could you please explain how an instructor in the back seat of a Chipmunk could reach the inner thigh of a student in the front? Sure it was not a Bulldog you were flying?

Rhys Perraton
17th Feb 2012, 14:38
Re Chipmunk:

Yes, I wondered about that !!! and also who's Chipmunk that was ?

Frankie B
17th Feb 2012, 19:27
:ugh: Sorry, chaps! I was wondering that myself. Checked my dusty log book - it was a C152. His name was Eric MacRae Stewart.

Rhys Perraton
17th Feb 2012, 20:09
With a name like that he probably had a kilt on.
Maybe your memory is playing you tricks and it was your hand on his thigh.

Superneep
20th Feb 2012, 00:04
Many thanks to all for help re contacting Martin, and also Jon's Blog. The whole experience is gently reminding me that I'm not twenty-one any more...

Frankie - is my memory playing tricks or did Eric have a white Pontiac Firebird Transam, but no licence to drive it because of a minor altercation with the law who suggested that he might have had a drink or two?

If it's the same man, he was hugely likable, but a touch given to BS. Ring any bells?

S.

Frankie B
21st Feb 2012, 18:06
Sounds like the same reprobate, H. Yes, Eric was hugely entertaining for the short time he was with the Club. He drank copious whiskeys in the Scooby Doo & spouted reams of (faultless) poetry when he was sozzled. The only person who could better him (poetry-wise) was Sheena Reid, who became the next CFI, if memory serves me.

BTW, I visited the infamous old watering hole at Dyce 18 months ago. What a dump!

F

Loki_Air
8th Apr 2012, 02:10
Hello,

I wonder of you can help. I am looking for 'Robbie' Roberts. Ex-RAF and Tipsy Nipper owner.

I studied A&C with him and am trying to re-connect but it has been years. Last I heard he was flying the anti-polltion Dak out of N Scotland. Any onformation is gratefully received. Yours Aye, Ian Mitchll

Pull what
4th May 2012, 12:44
Peter used to give people a childrens Ladybird book on the theory of flight. Does anyone remember this?

savarin
30th Jun 2012, 06:40
I was a member of Pegasus from Jun '77 until Nov '79; a yank stationed with the US Navy at RAF Edzell. I logged most of my hours in BDCK, the Grumman AA-5. Also flew BDPG, BEWP, and BDOD. I remember Peter fondly and regret his passing. I joined the club with an American PPL and Peter instructed me for my UK PPL. "Needle, ball, airspeed!"

I also flew from the Fordoun Flying Club if anyone remembers that club and John Campbell. Cessna ATOG was hangared in a bunker with a gravity-feed fuel pump. I am sorry to hear of John's passing as well, although he was fairly old when I last saw him.

I would love to hear from anyone with shared memories and hope to visit the website.

KennethJKerr
3rd Apr 2016, 04:41
Hello.

May I have your permission to republish the picture of G-BEWP on my facebook? (crediting you, or whoever requires it). I am creating a list of all the aircraft I have flown in either as a student pilot or passenger over the last 40 years! I flew this one from Aberdeen in 1980, and this is the only picture I've seen of the aircraft from that far back.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
Kenneth J Kerr

Plank Cap
12th Apr 2016, 16:04
Savarin hello..........

I was active at Fordoun in G-BFRR and then her replacement G-BPIO, a bit after your time. Remember John Campbell, nice chap and still flying and driving hard well into later life.

Bay City Roller
24th May 2021, 09:20
Brymon (Twotter,Dash7/8) PLH LCY BRS; Caledonian/JMC/Tommy Cook (L1011 B757 A321) MAN LGW CWL BHX BRS & once again Flying Instructor!

HeliPlanewalker
11th Jun 2022, 12:10
I learnt to fly with Bill and Mable Hanton at the Aberdeen Aero Club and soloed in G-BFRR .Great and mad fun.I used to ferry the clubs aircraft for their 50/100 hour checks at Perth for exchange for Mable warm harty Broth she used to make.
The one arm bandit in the club house awarded me with the jack pot one lunch time to Mables discuss as she had been waiting to mob up on the lunch time takings.. however I promptly gave my £50 Winnings to her to pay for I think an additional 2 and a half hours instruction.
The club had a number of instructors but I only really got on with one that being a young Sheena Reid..I recall on my third possibly fourth lesson she had instructed me to make a steep turn in the Cessna 172 the club had and I hadn't applied enough back pressure on the
control column and promptly put the aircraft into a stall/spin but I recall her calling out Simon now you have done it! and what are you going to do about It?I promptly recovered and said no word.We returned to the field.On our arrival she asked for my log book which she
promptly stamped and returned saying well at least lesson 12 is now complete and you wont need to do that again! We were only at lesson 4..
Great times lots of stories a steep learning curve loved every moment ...