PDA

View Full Version : Redundancy News

Jennifer Crilly
3rd Oct 2001, 00:32
Has anyone else had news of redundancies within their companies?
We heard last week that 524 cabin crew are going, a union rep spoke to us letting know that crew are being cut from every rank ( including 56 Pursers) rather than "last in first out" basis. This seems really unfair, the way it looks at the moment is that someone with 1 yrs service could keep their job over someone with 6-10 yrs service. The way they propose to nominate people is on a points system ie sickness, lateness,uncontactable and general performance. Other crew I have spoken to would be willing to take a demotion until things pick up rather than lose their jobs. I will be devasted if I lose my job and be very angry at a company that I have given so many years loyalty to especially if their only offering me two weeks pay for every year served redundancy package! :( :( :( :( :(

Theo Racle
3rd Oct 2001, 06:44
Why are so upset Princess? You need to be in roughly the bottom 10 percent on a pure performance basis to get the axe. If you're that position after 6-10 years service, you probably don't deserve the job any way. Those people should get out and give somebody who's prepared to work a go!

Jennifer Crilly
3rd Oct 2001, 13:04
Your missing the point Theo,
My arrguement is that people with under a years service have not had enough time with to dock up sick days etc and it is my job onboard to mark crew on their peformance and beleive me their no better at their jobs than anyone else, the problem is that we are going to end up with an inexperienced crew to try and pull the airline out of this slump...and on the point of me not deserving my job through peformance, I've had 4 sick days in the last year, I've not been late and no one has ever had a problem in the way I do my job but sorry it's only natural to worry when you stand to lose a job you actually like. Thanks for your support! :( :( :( :( :(

euroboy
3rd Oct 2001, 20:59
Princess

Its illegal under EU law to get rid of staff on the bases of "last in first out".
4 days sick should not be a problem. The way most management will be looking at sickness and other performance issues will be seeing if there is a patern with your sickness over the years. eg. Every Christmas for the last 5 years you have been sick on 25 26 Dec.
Personally I don`t think it is unfair. We all know out there, there are guys and gals who should not be doing this job, been there for years they are becoming bitter and twisted....
I`ve been on the block now some 13 years, yes I`ve been with 3 airlines, held positions such as SEP,and Security Trainer, No1 for 10 years and now towards the bottom of the seniorty list....but am I inexperienced?
I know people are worried about jobs. Some scared, but if you done your job well, played the game by the rules, what you worried about. You have done your best.
I was made redundant because 1 airline I was with went into Liquidation. I went off and did jobs I fancied having ago at,I didn`t like them and after 6 month applied to the airlines again, and I`m back flying now 1 1/2 yrs.
Its all called life!