PDA

View Full Version : heathrow schedules 1977

wayoutwest
21st Nov 2007, 04:07
Hi everybody.

I found an old book of LHR schedules from 1977. What a read!

There were plenty of 707, C8, VC10 flights. Concorde only flew to Bahrain and not the USA. There was an Argosy flight on behalf of Sabena,and there were 4 airlines still flying caravelles a/f, finnair, luxair, tunis air.

aviate1138
21st Nov 2007, 05:42
"Concorde only flew to Bahrain and not the USA." - 1977

Sorry that is rubbish

I flew twice from Washington [Dulles] to London on Concorde in 1976. I was making irregular trips to and from JFK the following year, 1977. And happily up until the 1990's.

In those days [1979/80] the Supersonic surcharge over 1st Class was only about £150.....IIRC.

Jhieminga
21st Nov 2007, 09:12
Wayoutwest, any chance of some scans of the pages mentioning the VC10? For e-mail and reason for asking see the www link in my profile. Thanks!

The SSK
21st Nov 2007, 09:45
I started working at LHR in 1967, at which time it was all Viscounts, Vanguards and Comets, along with the earlier Tridents, plus Caravelles and the big 4-jets. There were still quite a few Britannias around and KLM flew mostly Electras.

Jhieminga, I have access to old OAG/ABC schedules guides dating back to the late 1950s. If you have any specific information requests I'll do my best to accommodate them eg VC10 scheduled operations for a particular timetable season (but not year after year after year please). Unfortunately I can't do scans.

wayoutwest
23rd Nov 2007, 07:31
the book i read was only an enthusiast guide so nothing taken as gospel,but i seem to remember the concorde doing many proving flights as the yanks didnt want the aircraft in regular service as lets be honest it wasnt a boeing product.it flew to bahrain as an intrim to services to singapore.

The SSK
23rd Nov 2007, 08:14
The US took quite a while to allow Concorde in, and when they did it was just to Washington. Access to NYC followed later (it should be easy to check dates). It was Pan Am and TWA the US were protecting rather than Boeing, although they were using noise as their justification.

The first BA commercial services were to Bahrain, it had been hoped to extend to Singapore but I think there were problems with supersonic overflight of India - the sonic boom brought a new dimension to bilateral haggling. The first AF service was to Rio with a tech stop at Santa Maria in the Azores. I think they may have introduced Caracas shortly after.

aviate1138
23rd Nov 2007, 09:52
First Commercial Flight LHR - Bahrain January 21st 1976

LHR -Dulles/Washington May 24th 1976

LHR - JFK November 22nd 1977

Source British Airways FAQs

Jhieminga
23rd Nov 2007, 14:01
Jhieminga, I have access to old OAG/ABC schedules guides dating back to the late 1950s. If you have any specific information requests I'll do my best to accommodate them eg VC10 scheduled operations for a particular timetable season (but not year after year after year please). Unfortunately I can't do scans.
It is good to know that you have those, I don't have any specific requests right now but I'll keep your nom-de-pprune in mind for when I do in the future. Thanks for the offer!

wayoutwest
26th Nov 2007, 20:39
jhieminga. did you get your PM i sent.im just not that good with computers.

Jhieminga
27th Nov 2007, 09:00
Yes I did, apologies for not replying sooner! All the info seems to be there but I need to take some time to sit down with it and decode it ;)

Thanks for typing it out!

wayoutwest
28th Nov 2007, 06:30
your very welcome.i wasnt sure what bits you wanted so you got the lot.if i can figure how to scan and put it on your PM i will send some more.:ok: