PDA

View Full Version : Am I Delusional?

eFIFO
21st Nov 2007, 03:10
This is my first post and I apologise in advance if it would be considered more appropriately placed in the 'Wannabes' forum. It's just that I'm an Australian and would like to seek opinion from my part of the world. The Wannabes seem to contain more Eurocentric responses.

I'm 39yo and considering a radical career change.
I am motivated by the constant media attention being given to the forward ordering of aircraft and the apparent realisation that there are not enough pilots to fly them.
So at this stage, I am viewing piloting as a smart choice of career because of the basic supply and demand issue. I figure it should not only lead to easy employment, but also improving conditions than pilots who have trained in say the last 20 years.
I like operating machinery, whether it be a motorcycle, car, tractor, truck, coach, etc.... so in terms of the passion that is spoken of so often, I think I would probably develop it very quickly.
However, I don't gaze into the sky and wonder about every aeroplane that goes by.
I know I have the brains to deal with the theory as I was good at and enjoyed physics and math/s at school.

I'm seeking guidance on how to kickstart a career as a pilot in the shortest time possible.
Because of my age, I am very stable in my financial and family goals, so free to move wherever the training/job needs to take me to make this all happen as quickly as possible
In particular, I am free to study the theory in 2008 and would like suggestions on how/where to tackle the practical and expensive aspect to flight training.
At this stage, have looked at things like the Rex cadetship in Mangalore, VIC and it sounds too good to be true. Is it? From zero to FO in just 34 weeks - is that really possible?
Do any of you expat pilots here in Singapore know of a feasible training path to follow in SG, or is it necessary to train in somewhere like WA.
Finally, I don't have the big ego that says I must fly an A380, etc... I would quite possibly be happy instructing as I'm a very patient teacher (as long as it pays the bills, of course).

That's probably enough from me at this stage - would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

WhiskeyTango

ForkTailedDrKiller
21st Nov 2007, 04:33
"Am I Delusional?"

In a word ........ YES!

Dr :8

eFIFO
21st Nov 2007, 05:23
Thanks for your honesty, Dr.
Would you care to elaborate?
Particularly in relation to the current and projected pilot shortage.

Jabawocky
21st Nov 2007, 05:47
Beat me to it!!!!
:}

The Doctor is right........I would probably consider a career change but when you really see what is involved for the chance at maybe earning 75% of what I do now, and to get a gig at QF as a 744 captain......well its not likely to happen in the next 10-15 years, and thats where I would need to be to make it worth it. plus the cost of getting there it hardly makes sense economically.

Aside from that, sure its possible if you really want to go do it and be a career instructor or something, but the cash demands on your family need to be met too!

I just wish I could fly more for fun/work and do a better job of it.

J:ok:

neville_nobody
21st Nov 2007, 05:51
I wouldn't start being a pilot just because you think it is going to be easy(ier).
Just because there is a projected pilot shortage does not necessarily mean that money will go up either. It has been shown by REX that they prefer to park aircraft against the fence than pay their pilots more money. Jetstar and Virgin also have huge outlays and you will need significant experience to apply at the moment.

Cadet programs will paint you in a corner. If everything goes to plan then you might get through to a command. However if everything turns on it's head (ie labor screws up the economy and we have a recession or we have WW3) and you lose your job (or rex goes broke) Cadet qualifications are totally useless. Whether they be Qantas or REX Cadets if the music stops you can't go somewhere else and fly as you will not have the required experience. If you take the GA route then at least you will be able to fly in another job if required.

If I was interviewing you I's also be asking some very hard questions as to why you have waited until now to start flying. If it is your passion why didn't you start earlier instead of waiting until a shortage.
However on saying that if you really want to go flying you will over come the obstacles.

toolowtoofast
21st Nov 2007, 06:10
IMHO, the problem with getting to 39, and not looking up every time a plane flies over, is do you really have the desire, and subsequently the drive to overcome what can be some pretty depressing times during your training. Wx not co-operating, planes not doing what you want them to, and most of all, a seemingly neverending supply of 18 year olds with endless time and energy on their hands.

The type of instructor's job that will pay the bills will need to have had you in the airlines for 15 years prior.

Starting at 39 will need some serious $$$ over a short time period, and some serious singlebloodymindedness, or a little bit of luck....

http://singaporeair.recruitmax.com/MAIN/careerportal/job_profile.cfm?szOrderID=358

Mr.Buzzy
21st Nov 2007, 08:29
Once ya get there... Ya gotta stay there too remember.......

bbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

krankin
21st Nov 2007, 08:58
My advice, Go for a hoon first and see if it tickles your pickle....
Should give you and idea as for the feeling you'll have for it. :O

airbusa330
21st Nov 2007, 13:48
Go for it!

flyingtake2
22nd Nov 2007, 01:27
Take a look at previous thread last week "Pilot shortage - should I have another crack", there is some great feedback in that thread.

i am considering the same move. i gave it away back in 99 / 2000 ish so I have comm training behind me and couple hundred hours. I have my ppl. When I gave it away due to the lack of funds and young family committments and having to chase employment opps in the nor west of WA wasn't appealing at that stage of my life (and still isn't!)

Same as you I now have the ability to do what I have deep down wanted to do for a very very long time. I have a few investments + own my own home, so whilst I still need to earn a reasonable income, I can probably afford the financial reality of flying. You don't do it for the money!

Good luck with your decision.

Jedi
22nd Nov 2007, 01:41
I think you should have a look at the current situation as a transient phase. Yes there is a perceived pilot shortage, but have a look at how the majority of companies are resolving this issue. Apart from the likes of QF, Emirates, Cathay etc, minimums have been lowered considerably and the implementation of cadet schemes will be boosting numbers (often to the detriment of current GA pilots) and if the multi-crew licence goes ahead there will be no one coming through flying schools to fill positions in the already thinly spread general aviation sector.
Companies are parking aircraft because they can not crew them, not because they don’t have the pilot to crew them, but mainly because they don’t have the check and training resources to endorse the pilot they have coming through or keep their pilots current.
Many companies have resorted to running cadetships to keep up the supply of… income! In some cases it costs $40k for a cadetship (where the pilot already has a commercial licence and instrument rating) and the candidate is then bonded for another two years for up to $25k, kind of double dipping one would think. In any case these cadets are often being endorsed ahead of experienced company pilots once again lowering the experience base.
There has been a slight increase in pay scales, some companies have taken the initiative to stay ahead of the game, others are still stuck in the mindset that pilots can be treated with contempt and have resorted to forcing their crews to resign AWA that don’t make employees want to stay, moreover make it financially imposable to leave.

Take a long hard look at where you want to go and what they are offering before you hand in your resignation. I have no doubt you are already aware of the points I have outlined above, be sure you are making the move for the right reasons, not because you think the current climate will swing power infavour of pilots.
:ok: