PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Sauna

Tiger01
21st Nov 2007, 02:26
A GROUP of schoolies flying to the Gold Coast this morning found their holiday steaming up faster than they could have ever hoped when the air conditioning failed, turning their Virgin Blue flight into a sauna and grounding the plane.
The passengers were aboard flight DJ 979 waiting on the tarmac in Melbourne for a scheduled 6.55am takeoff when the temperature started to rise to an estimated 40C.
http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,25917,22782776-27977,00.html?from=mostpopAf
Got me thinking do the airlines have many probelems with the air condtioners on their the aircraft and also Is Air condtioning Included in the MEL ?
Thanks for your replies in advance ! :)

Ang737
21st Nov 2007, 02:36
I flew out of Melbourne yesterday and I can tell you it was bloody hot. Did the Mildura sector and it was 42C there...

I believe it was VH-VOH that had the problem.

airbusa330
21st Nov 2007, 13:45
Is Air condtioning Included in the MEL ?
Yes, you can dispatch with one pack inop,max cruise altitude FL240.

Capn Bloggs
21st Nov 2007, 23:00
If heading West.

Icarus2001
22nd Nov 2007, 00:39
Or more accurately, tracking West.

Tiger01
22nd Nov 2007, 03:06
Thanks everyone for all your input
Much Appreciated :ok:
Cheers,

Capn Bloggs
22nd Nov 2007, 11:32
Or more accurately, tracking West.
Oh orright! :D:=

Tee Emm
22nd Nov 2007, 13:24
Often during turn-arounds in the 737, the cabin crew cannot be bothered to open all of the 180 plus overhead air vents - most of which have been closed by passengers on the previous leg.

Also despite Boeing advice in the Supplementary Procedures section of the Flight crew operations manual of how to cool the cabin on the ground, the cabin crew do not close the window shades on the sunny side. This means the air-conditioning packs are often unable to efficiently distribute their cold air throughout the aeroplane because of closed vents. Nothing wrong with the air conditioning systems in the Boeing - its usually human error or sheer laziness.

Zenreverend
22nd Nov 2007, 14:31
Damn!

This isn't the discussion I expected after looking at the thread title.... :confused::rolleyes:

resboy
22nd Nov 2007, 15:27
Sheer laziness?

Tell me how a LCC crew (like Virgin, Jetstar or Tiger) on a 30 minute turnaround (of which only a few short minutes are without deplaning or boarding pax) are meant to open 180 air vents and close all window shades on one side as well as satisfy the company priorities of clear the rubbish, empty rubbish bins, rearrange the seat pockets, vac, stock toilets etc...

In any case, I would suggest having half the window shades closed during boarding prevents the cabin crew of being aware of happenings outside the aircraft during boarding. CASA might have something to say about that.

I would suggest laziness is not your answer. If you read the link to the news article Virgin actually reported the air conditioning system was inop, and a valve required replacing.

Icarus2001
22nd Nov 2007, 23:50
How about a PA whilst taxying in asking that passengers open the air vents when they leave their seats? How bloody simple.:ok:

Capn Bloggs
23rd Nov 2007, 00:42
If the air vents in the Maggot are like the Hair Dryer, all they do is blow smelly cabin air around. They don't allow "fesh"air in. The actual "fresh" air comes in thru the sidewall inlets, which the pax or crew have no control over (apart from the pack switches).

Dubya
23rd Nov 2007, 06:11
Okay, people.. this is how it works on the 737..

Fwd and Aft doors open, cold air rushes in and the thermostat senser in the fwd cabin registers it being COLD... then the air system pumps in HOT air... simple... it's like a cat chasing its tail...
Only way to stop it is .. shut the front door... harder to board passengers that way... or get the fo to turn the temp controller down....

Continental-520
24th Nov 2007, 08:13
How about a PA whilst taxying in asking that passengers open the air vents when they leave their seats? How bloody simple.

Good idea, but I have a feeling it would have as much effect as the PA which states "Please keep your seatbelt fastened until the aircraft has come to a stop at the gate and the seatbelt sign has been switched off".

As soon as the thing turns into the bay, every man and his dog is out of his seat, opening lockers, getting ready to disembark even though the engines are running, belt sign still on and all the rest.

Why are people so self righteous when it comes to these sorts of things??