PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Museums - Western USA

Fake Sealion
20th Nov 2007, 14:00
I am visiting the West coast of USA in March next year with Mrs FS and FS Jnr. and have attempted to wade through the online stuff about Museums/Visitor centres etc.
With limited time available, which aviation "destination" would you visit above all others in Calaifornia/Nevada and Arizona?

PaperTiger
20th Nov 2007, 15:53
Arizona is easy: Pima Museum at Tucson, including the tour of AMARC (Davis-Monthan storage).
Nevada: nothing really :( unless you want to sit at the end of the Nellis runway.
California: big place, are you going to be in the N. or S. ? North: Santa Rosa, South: Chino and/or March AFB (they are very close), maybe the USS Midway in San Diego. Skip the SD museum, it's overpriced and a bit tatty.

Fake Sealion
20th Nov 2007, 15:59
Thanks Paper Tiger

We are visiting San Diego and Midway looks a good bet....not sure what you mean by SD Museum however?

FS

treadigraph
20th Nov 2007, 17:51
SD is the San Diego Aerospace Museum in Balboa Park. I was there in 2000, can't remember how tatty or expensive it was but there were some interesting aeroplanes, and also the Spitfire that interrupted a cricket match at Bromley in 1958 (?).

If you can get to LA then Chino is a must! And not just because of Planes of Fame, there are loads of interesting aircraft there. March AFB is pretty good as well.

Bob Pond's museum at Palm Springs is worth a look see, but it's a bit of a drive from Chino/March.

If you are flying from Las Vegas, there is a 172 hanging from the terminal ceiling - has a quite fascinating story to tell!

All based on my 2000 trip... must go back soon.

16down2togo
21st Nov 2007, 13:29
If you travel in between LA and Frisco, go to former Castle AFB, they have a nice Museum with a lot of stuff you can't see anywhere else but Dayton.
It's all military btw but really worth going there, located next to Fresno, CA.

Fake Sealion
21st Nov 2007, 14:13
Thanks to those who have responded.

Certainly no shortage of venues, I will plan a route to see one of them. I looked at Pima and Davis Montham on Google Earth, what a line up at Pima.

In 1980 we drove accross the US for one of those "delivery" agencies - basically moving private cars from city to city. We were lucky enough to get the best gig - coast to coast - Rockaway Beach NY to Laguna Beach CAL.

However, said car blew its gearbox :ugh:in ................Dayton Ohio:D.....lady luck knew we were pilots (!) so spent 2 whole days gawping at the contents of the USAF Museum. Worth the trip just to see the mighty XB-70. It was outdoors then....just walked round and round it...staggering.

BTW - are the car delivery schemes still running???

FS:ok:

Boxer42
22nd Nov 2007, 12:47
Having done a similar tour in October 2006 would agree with what other posters have said. Definitely do Pima, make sure you book in advance for the AMARC tour though.

The Midway in San Diego is fantastic and, although I didn't do it, would also suggest the Flying Leathernecks Museum at MCAS Miramar.

Enjoy yourself!

barit1
23rd Nov 2007, 01:24
Not exactly a formal museum, but many civil antiques both airworthy and under restoration - at KSZP Santa Paula (http://www.fltplan.com/AirportInformation/KSZP.htm), an hour or so up the coast from LA. Howards, Spartans, most in showroom shape. :)

PPRuNe Pop
23rd Nov 2007, 06:33
Can we expect that you will add pictures to our Worldwide Museum thread at the top of the forum?

I have visited many in the US and always found them to be fantastic. I am sure you will enjoy them.

lborob17
25th Nov 2007, 08:45
Hi - did a similar trip on 2006 - if you get a chance to go inland a bit. There is the Planes of Fame at Grand Canyon.......and on route to that from Pima you must call in at Mesa for the CAF squadron based there and Aluminium Overcast!

We flew into LA then drove down to San Diego (spent a week there in which I drove to Chino (Yanks and POF), did Midway and the SD aerospace museum (which is worth doing for the building alone!). We then drove via March, via Joshua Tree NP, to Palmsprings, then on to Mesa (unfortunatly missed Pima due to time - next time!) then drove north via Flagstaff to GCanyon. We then spent some time in Monument Valley, Bryce canyon, Zion, then onwards to Las vegas (after one day there we had had enough!) and went on to Death Valley via Area 51!! - before heading to LA.

The Best Holiday!:)

allyn
25th Nov 2007, 10:01
There are two good museums in the San Francisco Bay Area if you're passing through there...

The little known USS Hornet museum in Alameda:

http://www.uss-hornet.org/

The Hiller Aviation Museum in San Carlos on the peninsula:

http://www.hiller.org/

The Hiller Aviation Museum is very easy to get to because it's right next to the 101 freeway. The Hornet is a little trickier to get to but well worth it if you want to see an old aircraft carrier.....

Enjoy your trip whereever you go! :ok:

Speedpig
25th Nov 2007, 13:39
Falcon Field in Phoenix is well worth a visit.

barit1
25th Nov 2007, 13:41
Also in the Bay area - Western Aerospace Museum (http://www.westernaerospacemuseum.org/) at the Oakland airport.