PDA

View Full Version : Staff Travel

Short and Sweet
23rd Nov 2001, 03:23
Hi. I didn't want to hijack the upgrade thread as I have a question about staff travel and upgrades.

If you are travelling on a staff travel economy international ticket and economy is full but business and first class have spare seats, is checkin more likely to:

a) leave you behind as you only have an economy ticket;

b) upgrade another pax (Chairman's club etc) so you can get on in economy; or

c) upgrade yourself to business?

This will help me make a decision about where I go for my holidays soon as I don't want to be stranded in a strange place.

Thanks for your help. :)

dumiel
23rd Nov 2001, 04:18
You will in general be checked in as waitlist if the flight is showing full in y class, subject to your date of joining and your priority you will be onloaded in order, in most cases if y class is full and we have the seats in j class you will be upgraded unless special services have priority upgrades where you will be given their y class seats. Do not worry if the seats are available and you have the appropriate staff tickets you will be carried with or without meals and although I am sure you do not need to be remimded please be polite to ground crew they can make all the difference. :cool:

twiggs
25th Nov 2001, 09:09
In QF, there is no policy that will allow you to be onloaded if Y/C is full and J/C isn't and you only have a Y/C ticket.
It really depends on the airport and the ground staff whether they can be bothered upgrading a commercial pax to make room in Y/C for you. (Mostly I have found they do)
There is close to no chance that they will upgrade you.

flyblue
25th Nov 2001, 14:39
It depends on the company policy. Some companies don't even upgrade frequent flyiers to make room for a staff travel, ie. Swissair (RIP). Others, like some US companies, send you right in business. Anyway, if you get to be boarded, then on board you are likely to be upgraded by the crew, if you are formally dressed and nice enough. I was always upgraded by BA, where I found very friendly and professional people. In AZ it depends on the cabin staff, but most of the times they upgrade you.

Short and Sweet
25th Nov 2001, 22:28
Thanks for you replies. It is putting my mind at rest. I might actually get to go (and come back :D ) from my holiday.

emma.harris
30th Nov 2001, 14:36
Sorry, Topdog, can't allow any advertising in these forums. Draconian, I know, but it's the way they want us moderators to run the trainset.

[ 30 November 2001: Message edited by: Sick Squid ]

GalleyWench
2nd Dec 2001, 20:50
Short and Sweet, It depends on which carrier your ticket is on. At UA you WILL NOT be left behind if there is a seat on the plane(weight restrictions excepted)! If you are a UA employee you can ride in any cabin, onloaded after all rev upgrades are done. If you are from another carrier you are generally alloted only ECY although you could be put in business class or they would upgrade someone else to get you on the flight. Good luck in your travels! Dont forget if you have an ID 90 ticket you can generally get it endorsed and use it on another carrier if airline A is full.