PDA

View Full Version : B777 vs B744

cxpilot
20th Nov 2007, 12:51
Has anyone been to a fleet forum lately and been told what cities are getting the B777 in NA? Obviously New York is first followed by Toronto but what cities gets it next?

Cheers

Mr. Bloggs
20th Nov 2007, 14:10
It’s the LONG ones or the VERY LONG ones! I heard the 777 ER is doing HKG non stop to HKG, one day off and do it again. It’s only rumor. New Rostering Practices you see.:hmm:

You will have to ask “The Management”, he may know.:{

Crew compliment is: One Captain, One First Officer and a Dog. One sleeps, one watches and the other sits in bewilderment. You decide who does what.:}:E:ok:

EngineOut
21st Nov 2007, 00:48
Yeah there is a HKG-JFK-HKG with only 34 hrs layover, but there is also a longer 72 hrs layover pattern as well.

I think I remember being told the all NA will be only 777 in 3 years time. I think YYZ stars in Feb, not sure of the order after that.

Trashed Aviator
21st Nov 2007, 02:55
Well dont go to Emirates then you will only get 24 hours rest chock to sign-on. going to New york...not to mention half the salary of a cx pilot. You guys dont know how good you really have it.............

Numero Crunchero
21st Nov 2007, 05:39
I agree that EK has some of the worst layovers known! And I think you have more "temporary" dispensations on your FTLs than we do. But, you are wrong about the salary. After 10 years in EK you on a base salary of over AED35K - add in your extras(HDP, ERP, Profit Share) and you are on about $94K in HKD - gross it up to allow for HKG tax and you end up with $112K HKD. At the 10 year mark in CX you are on $74K (post payrise). To earn $112K you need to be SCN4 which would be around the 19year mark in CX on current growth. Of course, after 19 years in EK your salary is $143K in CX terms. That is assuming no payrises, which is a valid assumption for CX but not for EK!

Hellenic aviator
22nd Nov 2007, 16:13
cxpilot,

The word is; after JFK, it is YYZ, then LAX, SFO and eventually ORD. Heard it from the GMA yesterday....for what it's worth.

NewEssO
22nd Nov 2007, 16:48
how about YVR?

Hellenic aviator
23rd Nov 2007, 17:06
He didn't mention YVR....that doesn't mean that it is not possible.

IMHO, I think 'they' are looking to serve destinations non-stop with the ERs rather than direct....but I reiterate, that's ONLY my humble opinion, not something I heard.

NewEssO
25th Nov 2007, 19:38
Thanks

do we have any idea on when and if they would have the schedule for 777 in terms of what destination and where they will be using it for? It is probably not possible to find such information :( THis would have an impact on whether or not my basing DREAM would ever come true..

TIA
NSO

ernestkgann
26th Nov 2007, 00:18
Sorry for the slight thread diversion. Numero do you add housing to all your number crunching when comparing ek and cx? Taking the housing allowance and entering the market in dubai is very much an individual thing. None of my friends or myself have taken the allowance and I've been there a while. On the other hand everyone I know in cx uses the allowance to pay off their own accommodation, in a market that is mature and properly regulated and also without the threat of war on the door step.
So to be objective the calculations shouldn't factor in any housing based allowance and if they do it should be understood to get the numbers to work you have to take a mortgage in dubai and buy property, something most people from our neck of the woods don't do.

Hellenic aviator
26th Nov 2007, 04:29
NSO,
The GMA told me that the Company plans on eventually (meaning once NA is fully utilised with 777s) that they want to convert the current 744 guys who want to remain on the base, across to the 777. He then mentioned that they are going to increase services to the various NA ports, and as such, will be offering those of us based in HKG to go on a base. Then, whatever numbers are remaining that require to be filled, he said that they would do direct entry hiring.
He was mainly referring to US rather than Canada though when I asked specific cities. :(

Now, he mentioned something interesting (that I have already posted before), and that is that they are running into some legal rostering issues. Namely, that they want those based in NA to operate to HKG, and then continue westbound as far as BOM. He said that this is currently being discussed with the CAD because of the numerous time zones flown. He also mentioned that there would be some clause stating that if you decided to take a base, that you'd be waiving your overtime pay (for the privilege of being on a base) and you''d be flying somewhere around the 94 hour mark.

Remember, this is HIM talking, NOT Company proposed policy. This s:mad: still requires negotiations with the AOA.

.....food for thought....or at least another incentive to look elsewhere ;)

NewEssO
26th Nov 2007, 05:16
Thank you HA. It sure sounds like it's not going to be an easy thing to get based in NA. With the amount of people who would be looking for a West Coast base (SFO, LA, YVR), it does'nt sound promising at all for me to get onto a west coast base after 3-4 years of assh0le (read: SO) work..

:mad:

Loopdeloop
26th Nov 2007, 08:43
Hellenic
I think it likely that he meant to say "waive bypass pay" At the moment our overtime threshold of 84 hours is in our contract. They're trying to waive bypass pay for those on a base for extendees over 55 but it's yet to be proven in court. My contract mentions age 55 retirement and bypass pay being paid for any captains extended beyond that retirement age so I don't see how they're going to get away from paying it but I think it'll take a court case to prove.

Hellenic aviator
26th Nov 2007, 16:11
I agree with you Loop, it'll take a court hearing...or two, to change things, but I recall him telling me that they wanted to cut down the overtime pay by having a newbie or someone wanting to go on a base to fly the Tripler, to sign a new contract accepting no overtime pay and a roster of approximately 94 hours per month....for the 'privilege' of getting on a base :rolleyes:

NSO, things are not laid down in stone per se - wait and see what happens.