PDA

View Full Version : Americans @ CX

captpetefam
20th Nov 2007, 11:28
I'm on my third airline now and I've just about seen everything. I'm an American working in Europe and someday want to get back to the US. I really can't stomach the thought of working for one of the US carriers but want to be based in the US.

Are there any former airline pilots who are now working for CX in the US that can give me a run down on the operation? I'm not looking for bull-crap and the usual gripes. Just looking for straight answers:

Schedules
Pay
Work Rules
Days off/overnights per month
Commutable trips?
Never flown long-haul, what's it like? (can you really not read a book/newspaper in the cockpit during cruise? If not, what the heck do you do for 12 hrs?)
How's working for CX compare to some of the US airlines.

I'm expecting the usual Mgmt vs Union stuff. That's life. However, that being said, I'm willing to work around that if the conditions are right.

Thx for all the help. Just doing a bit of research.

Nullaman
20th Nov 2007, 12:27
It is absolutely wonderful here.
Don't bother using the SEARCH FACILITY on this forum to find out stuff - just take my word for it.
Hong Kong is a land of Milk and Honey and it gets better every day. Get here and you will think you have died and gone to Heaven.
You will never regret it.
Git on board buddy!

HeavyWrenchFlyer
22nd Nov 2007, 03:20
Well I'm on my sixth airline, and I thought I'd seen it all as well. This place is flat out bizzarre in some aspects, and it's got a culture and atmosphere of it's own because you hear the same from Brits, Aussies, Americans, etc... It is an overly managed (read micro-managed) traditional airline stuck in a time lock from about 20-30 years ago. As always, if you hear anything discribed as "traditional" it's never a good thing... BEWARE.

Whatever you decide DO NOT disregard the negative you hear about this place unless you disregard a positive for each negative. Because much of it is true.

Schedules ? Good compared to US airlines today, but that doesn't say much. They're running shorter on pilots every day so it will get worse.

Pay ? No US airline beats the starting pay, but it falls behind in 4-5 years
Work Rules ? No legal protection whatsoever, they can so whatever they want and no union.

Days off/overnights per month ? 17-19 days off avg, US base
Commutable trips? Yes, jumpseat options very limited, I've heard Jetblue & Southwest.

Never flown long-haul, what's it like? (can you really not read a book/newspaper in the cockpit during cruise? If not, what the heck do you do for 12 hrs?)

The worst kind of flying there is, if you actually enjoy flying. You're not allowed to read in the cockpit as per cx rules, if the Capt. wants to push it... some do, most don't. Basically you slowly turn into a zombie during those 12 hrs.

How's working for CX compare to some of the US airlines?

It's bizzarre in some ways and better in other ways, but they have a good talent for making people uncomfortable. There's a lot less standardization than the US airlines largely because training is pretty much "do it yourself" and even the trainers & checkers don't know what the :mad: they're talking about half the time since the up to date manuals are only available online and 99% of pilots don't know the new SOPs unless thru word of mouth first.

Job security? You will never have to worry about it the way we do in the US thru layoffs, mergers etc... BUT, they can fire you over whatever they want anytime they want no questions asked. No protections whatsoever.

Cheers

mayday911
23rd Nov 2007, 01:37
I read in the cockpit all the time...I am not a Captain.

Mayday

Cpt. Underpants
23rd Nov 2007, 05:12

Not with me you don't

EXEZY
23rd Nov 2007, 07:23
I wonder, when the inevitable 3 man ULH comes along will the ban on reading newspapers be removed; whats worse one crew member reading or one fast asleep!

mayday911
23rd Nov 2007, 17:00
Cpt. Underpants,

Sure I will, just anything with CX printed on the cover so I do not have to talk to you.

Mayday

airbus2boeing
23rd Nov 2007, 20:41
Good one Mayday.

411A
24th Nov 2007, 05:56
Quote:

Not with me you don't

This could be true, as some of the CX Captains have, shall we say, a reading deficiency (so I'm told)...not to mention a strange habit of throwing peanuts at the CEO, from time to time.

Very odd.:}

Cpt. Underpants
24th Nov 2007, 06:42
What total tripe. Stick to things you actually have experience of - like fountains, hills and mostly retired 1960's vintage aircraft.

vsky72
4th Jan 2008, 03:24
does anyone knows if Cx will also consider to recruit American? i heard that they dont recruit american pilot..is that true?? particular on HK base..

let me know thanks!

ACMS
4th Jan 2008, 06:20
huh?????????????????????????

Delta 2027
6th Jan 2008, 11:31
Check out the latest CX thread on www.flightinfo.com (http://www.flightinfo.com). It seems the only place to interview is in HK. And yes, they want U. S. citizens.

However, it appears that a lot of unfavorable information is emerging on the flightinfo thread. There appears to be a "no thank-you CX" sentiment present.