PDA

View Full Version : employment opportunities after 30

walesair
19th Nov 2007, 18:45
hi all just like your opinion

what are the chances getting a job in your 30's as a newly qualified pilot?

always wanted to be a (airline) pilot and I got the money and time to do it now(parttime learning).Am 32 at the moment and won't be finished till am 35 if I start now.
I've been a captain in the Mechant Navy , am a harbour pilot now and got a HND in nautical science.

Do you recon my age will be a problem or not,and will my background help

thanks in advance for your replies

hughesyd
19th Nov 2007, 19:00
Dont be put off, your age isnt a problem. There are some airlines that prefer younger guys but you are by no means over the hill in terms of employment!. if you are a good competant pilot, there is no reason why you shouldnt get a job at some stage. There have been plenty of threads on this subject on pprune if you want to do a search.

I say go for it!. good luck

AlphaMale
19th Nov 2007, 19:02
Here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51690) you go, 39 pages of "Am I too old" for you.

Personally I can't see how that many people can afford to have a fATPL much before 30 so I think you'll be fine. People are worrying about getting jobs at 40+ and still manage to get a job at 44 / 45 / 46 years old. I think the airlines will take into consideration your Mechant Navy background, harbour pilot skills, HND, and life experience and form an opinion on that.

Good luck fellow Welshman.

Artie Fufkin
19th Nov 2007, 22:53
My understanding was that 30+ wasn't a problem, indeed, I got my first aviation job at 30. But the odds are reportedly longer at 35+. The excuse for this ageism is something to do with the brain alegedly slowing at 35.

The fact that both guys I knew who were looking for work at 35+ both found work, the 2 guys on my type rating course who were 35+ (one 40+) being the strongest candidates on the course, and every captain I have flown with saying that low hours guys who are 35+ tend to make better FOs than those aged 21 doesn't seem to count, for some inexplicable reason.

Its possible but undeniaby, however unfair, more difficult.

B200Drvr
20th Nov 2007, 06:06
I started at 33 and have had no problems, I decided to go the business jet route instead of airlines, and have found my age a plus.
Good luck

mackey
20th Nov 2007, 10:44
Hi there,

Was an industrial plumbing and heating engineer for 16 years, got fed up that.

Started the ATPL's at 33 and now at 38, flying a B757-200 for a living.:ok:

So there is hope for anyone over 30 to make a career out of aviation. My opinion........go for it!!

M.