PDA

View Full Version : A-levels near complete.. Advice needed!!

meas777
19th Nov 2007, 17:15
Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to read, any advice would be greatful.

Im in my final few months of college/6th form and I was wondering how I'd look to airlines when applying either for the 'self sponsor' or 'cadet' scheme.

Im currently studying Maths to an (A-level) standard and Physics to an (AS) standard due to living abroad. I hope to (predicted) to be leaving with a grade C in both subjects.

I have all the necessary GCSE's needed except english, which I have a grade D. Would I have to bump this up another level in order to apply or would my other grades be sufficient?

Also after leaving, I was planning on taking a gap year and taking my scuba diving level to the max and obtain my 'Instructor level.' Whilst staying at school and studying Psychology(A-level) and Spanish(AS). Would this all be beneficial or would I be just as better off applying now?

The Scuba Diving isnt a stab in the dark, I have been diving for years and my family own a IDC centre, meaning I could take the corse to hopefully benefit myself and look more appealing to airlines.

So thats it bascially in a nutshell. Was just trying to gather some info to set my mind straight....

Thanks again, any other info would be great!

P.S. Ive been looking at OAT, from what ive seen looks great but a few people on here have been giving some rather bad feedbacks, is this true?

Regards
Gary

hollingworthp
19th Nov 2007, 17:20
Gary - you will always find a highly vocal minority on on the internet on any subject and OAT is no exception to this. I would advise you to visit OAT and some of the other FTO's and make your own decision.

meas777
19th Nov 2007, 17:42
Will do, thanks pal not daft enough to believe everything i read. Already planning my visit to OAT, looks top notch, website is fanstiic so i wudnt expect anything less.

Tommy' C
19th Nov 2007, 18:08
If scuba diving is what you love, then go for it!

I don't see it benefiting you in anyway to airlines however.

meas777
19th Nov 2007, 18:20
My dreams always been on myself becoming an airline pilot and nothing else. The diving i thort might of been beneficial because it shows im willing to take it to the max. Work well under pressure and can also lead a team...etc. thanks for the advice anyway

hollingworthp
19th Nov 2007, 18:21
Gary

In lieu of lengthy work experience, Scuba might just add a little to your application as it gives direct exposure to working in a strongly team and safety orientated environment. More importantly though - it is great fun!

Cheers.

meas777
19th Nov 2007, 18:37
Thanks hollingworthp

Thats along the lines i was thinking of, anything i can do to make my self more out there id do... this is definetly my dream job and i will get there..