PDA

View Full Version : Change in Interview Process

Knee Trembler
19th Nov 2007, 15:40
Hi,

Just carefully checked the invitation email from CX and I appear to have been invited straight to the final interview - 2 days in HK with sim test etc.

As I (sadly) have no reason to think I have been favoured with a fast track to the final stage, does this mean that the first round interviews have been scrapped for DEFOs, or have I simply been sent the wrong email?

Unfortunately, I am unable to attend on the date offered and the reply from Cathay stated that an alternative date might be offered in January, but in London.

I'm a little confused! (As usual ;) ).

KT

EXEZY
23rd Nov 2007, 05:14
You have not misinterpreted, I know somebody else who has been offered the 2nd interview straight away. They are very short of people at the moment.

ASH1111
27th Nov 2007, 03:44
HOLD THE PHONE!

ASH1111
27th Nov 2007, 15:56
.... what was it like? Not quite sure what you are asking there. If this is a serious query, check the numerous threads on P2. I thought it was great. The people were great, the facilities immaculate, and HK was a very clean (ground wise) and friendly. All the interviewers were very friendly, and open.

Hope a class date comes sooner than expected.

ASH1111
2nd Dec 2007, 18:38
SNAM,

That sounds about right. While tough, it was an enjoyable experience.

All the best.

13th Dec 2007, 02:31
Come on....it wasn't that bad.

missingblade
13th Dec 2007, 04:26
ASH

You have to wait 8 months for a course date because all courses till then are filled and the training capacity is not there to increase courses. It is possible that you might be called slightly earlier if retirements slow down a bit due to new age 65 deal - or if SO upgrades are cancelled and the training time given to DEFO.

El Lobo Solo
14th Dec 2007, 06:18
What do you miss out on by having a direct second interview?

missingblade
15th Dec 2007, 04:12
eeehhh....the first interview....?

El Lobo Solo
16th Dec 2007, 12:56
I've been accused of not being the sharpest knife in the drawer before:}, but even I figured out that the first interview was omitted.

What exactly do you no have to do if you get a direct 2nd interview? Or do they cram two interviews into one?

texas145
28th Dec 2007, 22:38
I don't know about others, I know it depends a lot upon who your interviewers are, but my first interview was more technical. The second was more about the sim. I too am waiting for July/August. Oh well, good things come to those who wait, right?

Good luck . . .

atpcliff
15th Jan 2008, 06:18
Hi!

I have read that for N. American wannabees, Cathay has dumped the N. American 1st interview, as the no-show rate for the HK 2nd interview was about 70%. I guess they realized they were wasting their time and effort doing a 1st interview in N. America.

I just applied online for a freighter FO N. American-based position. I wanted to move to HK, but then I found out how bad the air pollution is there-my wife and 1 kid would be in poor health because of it, so we're not going.

I'm not sure if I want Cathay if I'm hired-trying to find out more info-sounds promising so far.

cliff
YYZ

MilPilot
19th Apr 2008, 15:04
This is only true if you are able to take a base in Canada, or Eur. I was hired in October and was just told to expect an AUGUST class date for any US base. Yeah, so so short of people but wont give out class dates for 8 months.

Everybody is going through training in Hong Kong right? So why the difference? Are they hurting for people more in Canada and Europe than in US?

squarecrow
20th Apr 2008, 15:43
I was asked for initial Interview as DEFO 742 and shortly afterward recontacted to come straight for Final later this Month. I'm Busy with my current job and I'm looking at the nonsense paperwork and Docs to prepare so deciding to take offer off New Command elsewhere, Not worth giving up my Narrow body LHS. The pay deal is C:mad::mad:p as well:=

Knee Trembler
21st Apr 2008, 07:42
squarecrow, I am in a similar position and after looking at the deal decided it was not worth the effort / risk. Would have liked to go and see for myself but not enough to endanger my current position. I'm also staying shorthaul LHS.

KT

squarecrow
21st Apr 2008, 13:44
Hope you didnt get the SNOTTY EMAIL I got after I turned it down.
All the best,:ouch:

Knee Trembler
21st Apr 2008, 16:39
No, I didn't, just a straight acknowledgement. Do please share it though.

I do get the impression that Cathay has the most arrogant and detached management in the industry (Note, I am not referring to the guys and girls who work there!).

I'd almost rather work for Ryanair!:rolleyes:

KT

squarecrow
23rd Apr 2008, 11:32
Sure I'll PM you. Dont want to start a Bun Fight on here but yes there HR
remind me of the Golgafrinchams in Hitch Hikers Guide.

JTrain
1st May 2008, 19:37
Are they still doing DEFO for North America in Hong Kong or has that changed over the last couple months?