PDA

View Full Version : Keeping instrument flying currency

sick_bag
19th Nov 2007, 15:27
ok, so to stay properly current, you have to fly pretty often. Especially when you only recently got your IR. Flyings a pretty perishable skill when you have low hours.

Obviously i cant hire a twin out every weekend because daddy refuses to sell the bentley and my pocket money wont cover it...

the question is - what do the rest of you do? I need a new laptop anyway and wonder which flightsim software would be best for keeping current - the usual microsoft or x plane offerings? or are there other options? is it worth buying one of these realistic instrument panel things to stick on your desk, or would that just make you feel too much like a geek?? if theres a garmin 1000 based sim out there, that would be great for a bit of variety too..

i intend to fly single pistons etc while i look for a flying job (got a great non flying job lined up in the meantime), but i think a bit of pc time would help keep my NDB approaches and x-wind holds up to scratch.

any thoughts? cheers! :8

tom_ace
19th Nov 2007, 19:23
You're probably best with old trusty flight sim, you can get some hyper realistic add ons, and RANT is always a safe bet!...these 2 programs saved me a lot of cash on the IR.

1Bingo
19th Nov 2007, 19:51
PC software won't give you the leans. Probably good to get out and uncage your gyros once in a while for 'the real thing' in additon to the gaming solution.

1 Bingo