square leg
19th Nov 2007, 16:29
Sorry... could you say that again?!

dnk
20th Nov 2007, 08:07
That didnt take long...

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Nov 2007, 08:37
Accents. They differ all over and some controllers regard fluency as the ability to rattle out a clearance like a machine gun in a barely understandable accent. Asking them to say again just gets you a repeat performance. Say again slowly gets you an exasperated sigh and another machine gun delivery. Sometimes you'll just be ignored.

Once got told to watch out for "bads" at the threshold on approach. Asked them what was bad and was told again "bads". Went through a flock of birds on short final...:hmm:

I'm sure others would barely be able to understand the accent with which I'm familiar, so it's swings and roundabouts.

777Contrail
20th Nov 2007, 08:46
"Hello fellow pilots from Africa,

I am doing research on English miscommunication in aviation. On my homepage, www.aero-lingo.com (http://www.aero-lingo.com/) , there is more info about this topic. Unfortunately, I have no responses from Africa. Maybe someone reading this could help me.

Thank you

Franz"

WhydoyoupeoplealwayspickafightwithusAfricans?
Whydoyoumakeasifwecan'tcommunicate?

Andthenyoustillwantourhelp!

eisch!

square leg
20th Nov 2007, 13:32
Did you know that "bads" have radar as well? They also hang upside down when they are not flying...

A bit of imagination often jhelps a lot.

Now just imagine ATC in W-Cape lingo. "Tjaa... turn left ek sé!"

Franz: re my 1st post, "nothing for un-good" (translated into your language):ok:

poorwanderingwun
20th Nov 2007, 20:49
Don't have to go to seffairfrrica to have problems.. I started my career flying out of Aberdeen (scotland )... took weeks for me to get a handle on ATC...

Remember one scottish lady talking on the phone trying to explain a word I couldn't understand and started spelling it... E... E... you know..E as in Apple :ugh:

Contract Dog
20th Nov 2007, 22:21
One of my best was landing at Mzuzu in Malawi. I was short final and was advised "caution, there are beds on the runway" I knew what the controller meant but the mental picture made me chuckle a bit, when I replied to say thanks I got a reply back to say "but dont worry, they are the kind that will run away when they see you" Worst landing of my life that as I was laughing so much!

Dog