PDA

View Full Version : BA C/C ROSTERS

snowbound
17th Nov 2001, 19:57
Has anybody else got no/minimal work for nov/dec???what is going on with cabin crew scheduling..might have to get a part time job at this rate to pay the mortgage :mad:
putting people first :confused:

sweety
17th Nov 2001, 20:46
You are complaining? How about UNPAID leave for at least 6 months? This is what I have to face. :(

You should be lucky you still have a job... :( :( :(

snowbound
17th Nov 2001, 21:01
sorry to hear your predicament..do you want me to go up to waterworld and kiss rod's arse 'cos i've kept my job. i still get peanuts for the next two months! :(

flyblue
17th Nov 2001, 21:40
Relax snowbound, I think you still are in the lucky bunch out of this, think of those who have no more job :( .
My company for the moment is not getting on too bad, but informed us that to keep all the staff our rosters would be "lighter", and all voluntary temporary unpaid leave of absence and part-time welcome. So I will have enjoyed at the end of the month 2 flights (6 days on) and a lot of unwanted vacation.
The luckier this Christmas will get peanuts, that's the grim reality.
Try to be optimistic and make the best of a bad job. I understand your first reaction is of anger, but that won't help you pay the mortgage and will make you bitter and drain your energy.

cabin lad
18th Nov 2001, 01:16
Anyone who works for an airline at the moment will be going through a hard time. If you have a job then you really should be grateful and so what if you have no flights you will still be getting a basic. Things will pick up eventually and at least you are in a position where you have got some money coming in. I feel very sorry for all these people who have lost their job due to the sept 11th incident. Put yourself in their position.

snowbound
18th Nov 2001, 03:54
the events of sept 11 have effected everyone in the industry, most more so than me.my beef is with the company (B.A.) who as usual have mis-managed the situation and are making things unecessarily difficult for it's employees...i wish all those who have lost their jobs recently,temporarily or permanently all the good fortune in the world

Ditch
18th Nov 2001, 09:38
And it continues worldwide. All Qantas Longhaul Cabin Crew have received letters offering Voluntary redundancy. Those with excessive long service leave will be asked to take it, or leave without pay. Those with annual leave will also have to use it and it will be doubled. Job share, and part time will also be offered.

We are all in for a long ride..hang on tight
There isnt much any of us can do about it :(

WOK
18th Nov 2001, 15:01
Snowbound - what exactly do you want?

Are you saying the company should immediately sack enough cabin crew that you get a full roster?

While we all have suspicions that some advantage is being taken of the current situation, at least recognise that less aircraft=less flights=less work and that in the short term this will impact everyone.

There will be a headcount reduction over the coming months:It can happen either slowly, via attrition, so there is less work per head for a time or it can happen immediately via involuntary redundancies. Can you really be so selfish that you favour the latter over the former just to keep your allowances up for a couple of months?

cabin lad
18th Nov 2001, 15:53
Snowbound,
Tell you what - you want more flights then go and work for British Regional Airlines.
They'll give you plenty of flights and you'll wish you'd of stayed where you are!
Won't they BRAL crew? :rolleyes:

flyblue
18th Nov 2001, 17:14
Boys, it is obvious that snowbound has written the initial post in a moment of anger. He has since then posted another message that is self explaining. Please be kind, and try to understand that we all got our problems, and even if snowbound's are not as serious as others may have, his first reaction has been disappointment. And please appreciate the reverse running he has since made, because not all would have done the same!

euroboy
18th Nov 2001, 18:00
Reading between the lines of what was going to happen in Nov and Dec had that feeling that quiet rosters would previle. I hung on not taking the first set of options, that being 50% or unpaid. Had a chat with the union and I was told to hang on. We were then offered temp 75% which I took, as this allows the chance of some part time working.
Basically, 2 weeks at BA and 2 weeks at another job. (7 days off, plus 7-8 days off in that 21 day period).
I know that doing a part time job won`t bring in the same as BA, but at least I`m getting something.

[ 20 November 2001: Message edited by: euroboy ]

moosey
21st Nov 2001, 01:07
snowbound I think it's BA's way of punishing those who haven't taken a p/t contract as I have spoken to others on f/t and they also don't appear to be working particularly hard. I am on 50% and have a complete roster-sorry!! I rest my case.

Aerienne
21st Nov 2001, 03:29
The inverse of that argument could be seen as BA showing their support for new part-timers, on reduced basic, by giving them some trips. I certainly don't see it as punishing full-time people. Remember it was the unions that pushed the company to find alternatives to invol. redundancies. If BA don't achieve the desired headcount they will simply sack people. The real "punishment" will be job losses if there isn't enough work to go around for an extended period.

rocketboots
24th Nov 2001, 13:53
I can`t believe that opening comment.I`m a BA engineer,and as a result of Sept,lost my job at LGW.I had an option of leaving,or moving to LHR.I am know at LHR,working a 7 on 3 off shift,involving a 120 mile round trip everyday,without any relocation allowance or cock all,all for a measley 25k a year.You longhaul crew should be ashamed of yourselves.

euroboy
24th Nov 2001, 17:10
Rocketboots
Sorry to hear whats happen to you. We are not all long haul crews. I do a 150 mile round trip but use the JetLink coach services which is discounted by the BAA to £60 per month/£600 a year. Saves the petrol bills etc, plus I get a nap. Pass can be used when off duty too.

[ 24 November 2001: Message edited by: euroboy ]

flyblue
24th Nov 2001, 20:11
Rocketboots,
I am very sorry to hear what happened to you. Unfortunately it seems quite common lately. One of my best friends is unemployed (her company went bankrupt), with children and single mother, so you see you are not in the worst case.
I understand your irritation for the former post by snowbound, even if he has since then changed his statements. But why on earth are you shaming long haul crews??? I am long haul, and to be honest I don't see any reason why I should be ashamed of myself (well, not any the readers of the forum could know :D ). I work hard and honestly, don't complain and sincerely are sorry for those who are struggling within the industry.
Today it's you, tomorrow could be me.
Please don't generalise, don't tar everybody with the same brush, and more important, as I said to Snowbound, don't let those facts make you bitter and angry at others. Try to understand, as I am trying to understand you when you tell me I should be ashamed without reason.

basil fawlty
27th Nov 2001, 04:34
Rocketboots- I understand what **** ground engineers tolerate, (used to be one!!) and if I could change the situation I would, but lets face facts, most engineers accept their pityful lot....to their disadvantage. Whilst PROFESSIONAL (in both senses of the word!) aircraft engineers are represented by the same union that represents plumbers and electricians the terms and conditions of enployment WILL NOT IMPROVE.
Maintenance engineers are their own worst enemy....Take the company to task!!! but then it will never happen because the union reps want an easy life!!! :rolleyes: