PDA

View Full Version : SAA cadet pilot training

equinox_code
19th Nov 2007, 11:21
to all,

i've been looking into applying to SAA's sponsorship program, but i've got a few questions-

i live in england, but i've dual south african citizenship. am i elligible?

i have maths and science gcse's, as well as a few a levels. are these qualifications accredited in south africa?

living so far away, and assuming i'm considered for the scheme, do you think it would be possible for them to provisionally book me in for all the tests and interviews required within a 2 or 3 week period? obviously, it'd be far easier on my wallet if i didn't have to make several flights.

i'm white. obviously this shouldn't be a problem. though i get the impression it might be. is this true?

are there any other problems i may have overlooked?

kind regards

e.c.

AirwayBlocker
19th Nov 2007, 11:47
i'm white. obviously this shouldn't be a problem.

Never assume anything. Being white has become a problem when trying to obtain selection to SAA's cadet scheme. Especially if you're male. And not disavantaged.

However I wouldn't worry too much about the colour of your skin seeing as the cadet scheme is currently on hold. That might be one problem you've overlooked.

equinox_code
19th Nov 2007, 11:54
oh right. it made no mention of the scheme being on hold on the website. any idea how long for?

anyway, i'm pretty disadvantaged. i'd have to sell half the stuff i own to fund the flight!

also, how much of a problem is being a white male? are there quota's or something that dictate the skin colour ratios? also, should the scheme re-open, would i be considered with dual citizenship? i've tried phoning the airline but they've been pretty useless in answering any of my questions

Catalytic Ignition
19th Nov 2007, 12:16
Hi Equinox_code, if one looks purely at stats, the SAA Cadet Program has not recruited a single white male for at least the past 6 intakes. There are still however white females who have been recruited.

I was also once in your current situation, I was based in North London working to save up to fund my own flying training but at the same time applying to SAA. I did get a call up which was around June or so 3yrs ago. I then had to spend a lot of my saved up training money on flights to SA. Their selection was run over about a period of 1yr. So I dont think that they will speed up your selection at all. I too, enquired the management of the program about the same issues as you. They were not very helpful at all.

& whether it makes a difference or not, I am a coloured individual.
My advice to you would be to look into the RAF or even the SAAF.:ok:

equinox_code
19th Nov 2007, 13:08
crap.

unless i get a sex-change and manage to persuade them i'm albino black, then i guess this is a waste of time then.

i can't apply to the RAF cuz of my history of light asthma and age.

crap crap crap.

missingblade
20th Nov 2007, 05:05
equinox

Don't waste your time with the SAA circus. Do what thousands of us have done. Work and save CASH - the pound is strong and you should be able to get quite a sum together fairly quick. Go to USA - or SA where the flying is relatively cheap and get the training...etc etc

rockpecker
20th Nov 2007, 06:59
White? Male? Not a problem? Its a helluva problem, unless you're gay and try that angle as a disadvantaged individual, you dont have a snowball's hope in hell.