PDA

View Full Version : If Labor Win, what of Jet* AWA's?

TurbineDreamer
19th Nov 2007, 04:08
If Labor win on Saturday, what consequences will it have on AWA's at Jet* if the new government
abolish AWA's.
Will all those AWA contracts become illegal overnight?

TurbineDreamer
19th Nov 2007, 04:32
Hey dude, relax. I am just asking the question. Labor said they would abolish AWA's if they win.

Just wondering what people think in regards to the implications of AWA's being canceled.

Skystar320
19th Nov 2007, 04:43
Rudd is saying that to get votes, I'll doubt he would do it

TurbineDreamer
19th Nov 2007, 04:49
Do you think he will turn around and say it is too much of a mess to unscramble it.

Skystar320
19th Nov 2007, 05:04
Well these AWA's are a huge negative. Rudds gone and said

"Wow alot of people are un-happy with this. I'll say I will get rid of them to get everyones vote"

Then

PRESTO!!!!!!!

It doesnt happen............

Typical politics they stink :O:O:O never trust them

Rich-Fine-Green
19th Nov 2007, 06:00
I'm betting this election will be really close, down to a seat ot two either way.

IF Rudd wins - any law changes will have to get through the Senate as well.

Rudd could win by 1-2 seats (or more) and still not get Senate control.

Family First, Pauline Hansen and a couple of fringe dwellers could pick up Senate seats and along with the Libs and Nats could band together and block supply.

Double-Dissolution and we are back at the polls again in a few months......

Fliegenmong
19th Nov 2007, 06:10
With such a pivotal piece of legislation such as SerfChoices, not to abolish them if elected, Rudd would guarantee himself a one term stint. Do you think he is really that stupid??? :rolleyes:

KaptinZZ
19th Nov 2007, 06:18
Hasn't Rudd indicated that current AWA's will remain in place for two years??

That gives employers time to adjust to a possible change in the industrial environment, but after two years he'll find a way to get around the issue and they'll stay.

Quite a few friends on AWA's like them; more money for tradeoffs, no union telling them that they can't work on a day off, etc.

My bet is that AWA's will proliferate undeer Labor because they are good for the economy. Let's see

The PM
19th Nov 2007, 07:13
IIRC, Rudd/Labor have stated that all current AWAs will be allowed to run their course, as under the legislation that existed at the time of signing, they were valid contracts.

toolish
19th Nov 2007, 07:55
Spot on PM nuff said.

neville_nobody
19th Nov 2007, 08:07
Labor has already hinted at AWA exemptions for the mining industry and as soon as he said that Dixon was into it saying that Qantas was a special case too and that they should also be exempt. Soon enough everyone will be on the "exemption" bandwagon.

What could happen is that Rudd will get into power then claim that it's such a big mess, the liberals have stuffed up the country blah blah so therefore we can't go ahead as it is in a bigger mess than what we first expected. Or they will just stall for a few years until everyone forgets about it. Happens in every single change of government election in state and federal level.

If you are voting for Rudd on the basis of industrial relations I would be looking into it very carefully.

KaptinZZ
28th Nov 2007, 03:40
Well I don't see Rudd scrapping AWA's ever. They'll be left in place for those who feel they can negotiate better than the collective contract. It will be interesting though to see what tragic reasoning he puts forward for doing so.

Perhaps it will be something like why he's not scrapping the GST.

I saw him interviewed by Kerry O'Brien and asked, "Since you were amongs the strongest opponents of the GST, will you be scrapping it?"

The answer, "Well no Kerry, that's been part of government policy so it will stay."

One who thinks even semi logically would have to apply the same reasoning to AWA's, wouldn't one?

What must be appreciated is that AWA's do serve many better than the collective contracts negotiated by unions, and less than 2% of workers in this country work under AWA's.

aircraft
28th Nov 2007, 10:21
TigerCrew,

The laws before the election regarding AWAs are the same as the laws today regarding AWAs. Laws don't just automatically change when the government changes. An act of parliament is required to change any laws.

Workchoices is good for business, so is therefore good for the economy, and, what is good for the economy is good for all Australians. The new government will be well aware of this and, to a large extent, in agreement with this view - but of course, will never say so publicly.

The challenge for them is to scrap Workchoices and AWAs without actually scrapping them. Naturally, they will find a way to successfully do this.

noip
28th Nov 2007, 10:52
acft .... you forgot to add ... "In my opinion" ... personally, I think your opinion is .. er .. flawed .

Australia will be a better place for all with the demise of this odious piece of industrial nonsense.

Rgds

N

Air Ace
28th Nov 2007, 12:06
The fact is to rescind WorkChoices legislation Labour needs adequate numbers in the Senate, which they don't have until mid year.

And even then it is looking increasingly like a hung Senate: 37 Coalition; 32 Labour; 5 Greens (who may support Labour - at a price); one Family First; one Independent (who may support Labour if poker machines are abolished)!

Labour is already suggesting AWAs will be permitted for the WA mining industry and all workers over $75,000 per annum. And how many major airline pilots earn less than $75,000 per annum????

And if WorkChoices are abolished, what industrial framework will replace it - not the Award system, surely, which politicians of all flavour agree passed it's use by date decades ago.

Labour says EBAs. Ask any QF employee what they think of EBAs!

There is nothing inherently wrong with the AWA concept, provided legislation exists to exclude employee exploitation. Over 1.5 million Australian workers are parties to AWAs and most, including myself, are overwhelmingly satisfied with that form of agreement.

My guess AWAs, in one form or another, will remain, with legislation in place to place to exclude employee exploitation, which should have happened in the first place!

Private Patjarr
28th Nov 2007, 21:14
I am no IR expert so apologies in advance to all those who are experts.

Your thoughts on this please gents;

The bulk of J* pilots on the EBA. (Only AWA pilots are the ones employed over the last 2 and a half months).

Labour changes IR laws. AWAs allowed to run their full course if already signed (5 years). All new employees post election offered the EBA.

Therefore, what sense is there in having a small group of pilots on AWAs with the large majority on a different agreement. Would only cause headaches I would have thought?