PDA

View Full Version : BALPA conference and elections

Philcross
18th Nov 2007, 21:53
What were other's view of the BALPA conference and elections? Is silence the best policy? Should we all remain as inactive as those in BALPA? There should be an investigation, as there is a lot going on behind the scenes. This is our organisation and it should be doing its best for its members.

Noiffsorbuts
19th Nov 2007, 07:50
"This is our organisation and it should be doing its best for its members."

Dunno what this is all about....but sounds like situation normal.

ETOPS
19th Nov 2007, 09:21
Change of leadership at "big" BALPA with Easy Jet and BA candidates voted in and existing Chairman and deputy voted out.

The so-called "sleaze" appears to be over whether two existing members should have resigned their positions when retiring from flying under the rules.

The change at the top has been welcomed and we might see a bit of "new broom............"

keep_pushing
19th Nov 2007, 11:55
New broom at the top, eh? Has the troublesome matter of his expenses claim been resolved?

Rotors
19th Nov 2007, 12:20
I thank the folk who represent us - I cannot imagine why they would want to do such a thankless task for so many selfish and unhelpful members

Val d'Isere
19th Nov 2007, 13:06
I cannot imagine why they would want to do such a thankless task
Cash, ego, perceived prestige, "power" etc etc.

At CC level, its a well trodden and successful route into management, with the same motives.

easyprison
19th Nov 2007, 13:26
I've just logged into the BALPA website and members area and all the results are there to be seen!

www.balpa.org

Philcross
21st Nov 2007, 10:21
What matter of expenses? Is something else being hidden?

buzzdriver
25th Nov 2007, 08:00
I believe it's well known within the BA community and in the big echelons of BALPA because they did get him off, and there has been more spin than you can see at a cricket test match - if there were a political party they would be proud.

Philcross
26th Nov 2007, 07:30
so the new broom isn't clean:ugh:

Carnage Matey!
26th Nov 2007, 08:37
Is anyone else utterly confused by this thread? Whats with all the nudge nudge wink wink stuff?

ZeBedie
26th Nov 2007, 10:29
So the chair and vice chair were elected and then forced to resign, or what? I am a member and I'd like to know, but there does seem to be nothing but rumour and secrecy.

keep_pushing
26th Nov 2007, 11:56
The existing chair and vice chair were pushed out in what seems to be highly dubious circumstances using votes of NEC members who resigned months before the vote. BALPA members now have a chairman who lives in the USA. I didn’t think much of the previus chairman, but I cannot see how having a former plod who dose not even live in the UK as chairman will help BALPA members.

Jonny-no-stars
26th Nov 2007, 18:54
Also worth mentioning that the current NEC Vice Chair had NEVER, repeat NEVER, attended an NEC meeting prior to being elected VC! :eek:

ZeBedie
26th Nov 2007, 20:17
Well BALPA keep on telling us how democratic the organisation is, so why has this been done in an information vacuum?

What had the outgoing chair and vicechair done to make themselves so unpopular?

When are we going to get some information?

What is the point in members voting if the NEC can then over-rule that vote?

Whether this was the right thing to do or not, I must say, I'm more than a little pee'd off at the way it's been done.

Dogma
27th Nov 2007, 09:30
Big thank you to Merv and Co, they have guided BALPA through some difficult times of late and BALPA is stronger for it.

The association is in rude health and I hope/pray the new Chairman has the skill and dedication of the outgoing Chairman! If not BA and Easyjet will be the whipping boys of the industry for many years to come.

Witraz
27th Nov 2007, 11:27
Having been a PLC rep during a merger / takeover in another time and place. Worked on the AIG for 8 years, and now a common line pilot, I respect anyone who puts themselves forward for sometimes a thankless task.
Philcross I look forward to reading your manifesto and voting for you in the next elections.

Philcross
1st Dec 2007, 09:27
That you may well see - and I also respect people who put themselves forward and do it for honest reasons - but I'll tell you one thing I won't expect to get elected if I falsified my expenses - if this type of behaviour is not only condoned, but valued and respected by those in the know, and hierarchy, what the hell else is going on!!

Fredairstair
1st Dec 2007, 17:07
Bring back Mervyn! A class act.

Any chance of a poll?

buzzdriver
3rd Dec 2007, 00:59
It would be a good idea to have a poll, or a honest debate - at least Mervyn did not have his hand in the till, which is a good thing for someone in charge of the finances. If this is allowed to go unchallenged, what happens next - like our own management's it's the start of the slippery slope and there will be no going back.

Philcross
10th Dec 2007, 06:36
So the NEC have met and nothing has been challenged:=. If we expect integrity from our employers should we also not expect it from our association. Come clean with the members and at least someone have the guts to put things in order.

whatdoesthisbuttondo
10th Dec 2007, 07:09
This all sounds like a dodgy coup to me. I thought Mervyn was doing a great job.

It's lowered my view of BALPA to be honest.

Right Engine
10th Dec 2007, 08:55
When Chris Darke was ousted I received a spiteful letter against BA members from Mr G. Mervyn cunningly managed to forget overnight, his anti-BA tirade that was posted to all members on the eve of the coup.

This would appear to be what goes around comes around to me.

Walnut
10th Dec 2007, 15:51
What comes round comes round, having been involved with the coup to rid ourselves of the ex Gen Sec, I am not surprised at this latest outcome.
The vitriol from one half of the NEC against the democratic half of the NEC at that time had to be seen to be believed. The democratic side of Balpa was heavily supported in the vote to rid ourselves of Chris Darke. The vote was approx 2 to 1 against Chris.
Having been retired for 5yrs my view from afar is that 2 terms from MG is about right, he has done a good job, but absolute power corrupts. However I believe your current Gen Sec is doing a good job, I believe he will ponder over this "coup" but will work well with Ian.
I believe Balpa will emerge stronger from this change, may I suggest that one NEC rule change that should be considered at the next ADC is just like American Presidents only 2 terms are allowed for the senior jobs in Balpa.
I know Ian well and hope that he may? consider this suggestion.

buzzdriver
21st Dec 2007, 14:20
I find it amazing that some find it acceptable to own up to doing dirty tricks campaigns and undertaking 'coups', without any consideration of what is the best for BALPA. Putting up candidates to just challenge, without looking at the qualities or integrity are not acceptable. It seems that the top prefer to keep things hidden, and this thread has been about transparency - not a fight between BA and the rest of the community. It's been about honesty - and the expectation that those leading BALPA have this. Is everyone aware that the General Secretary has been relected for another 5 years, because he was unimposed, or should I say probably supported by BA. Maybe if they hadn't got in the Chair, they would have gone for General Secretary. What does this mean to the rest of us? As stated before let's have an honest report from BALPA, if they want to restore our faith in them.

jshg
21st Dec 2007, 17:07
I don't remember the exact numbers, but out of something like 6000 ballot papers sent out to the non-BA constituency, only about 1000 were returned.
The NEC members thus elected went on to stage the palace coup, presumably prearranged.
I think we all need to make the effort to take part in this democracy stuff, or else minority interests take over. I have no knowledge of whether this was the result of minority interests of course, but I'm as surprised as everyone else about what happened.