PDA

View Full Version : Nato Heli Pilots

Peter-RB
18th Nov 2007, 13:02
Without giving any big secrets away, Why will the German Heli Pilots in Afghanistan not fly after sunset. Surely if they cannot or worse still, will not fly in the dark, then what is the point of having them there, they seem to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard!

Peter R-B
Vfrpilotpb

Brilliant Stuff
18th Nov 2007, 16:12
I read the same thing about the Dutch or Danish, pilots sorry I don't remember which.

Very strange that.

A.Agincourt
18th Nov 2007, 16:29
Perhaps they are not adequately trained to deal with the specific requirements of that theatre. None of the nationalities mentioned have any experience in training or otherwise worth diddly squat. Perhaps it is self preservation?:E

206Fan
18th Nov 2007, 16:59
I presume its just the Brits and the American pilots that do the night missions?

ARRAKIS
18th Nov 2007, 17:38
I'm not 100% sure about it, but if I recall, it has something to do with some weird political decisions in Germeny. Anyway, I'll try to check it.

Arrakis

jayteeto
18th Nov 2007, 22:49
You do the job with the rules you are given, period. If you fly night in most industrialised places, you get ambient light to help you on the way. In desert/remote areas, it is as black as a black thing. Even NVG struggle to operate in very dark areas. If you can't see a thing in those Afghan mountains, mmmmmmmmmmm.
Countries that support NATO and the UN often operate with some crazy caveats when looked at by the layman. In Kosovo, many of our allies would not open the hangar doors in the dark. Sometimes they were not equipped, sometimes their bosses did not have the will. It was never a lack of moral fibre from the crews. Good on the Brits and Americans for doing the deeds at night, but instead of questioning the day only boys and girls, remember they are still putting their lives on the line every day, just by being in country!!!
Chocolate fireguard???

ARRAKIS
19th Nov 2007, 06:28
Even NVG struggle to operate in very dark areas.

Especially truth in places like Afghanistan.

The question of German troops, their ROE in A., etc was widely discussed on militaryphotos.net. I think you should look there.
There is a lot of b.s. in the press regarding the subject.

Arrakis

M609
19th Nov 2007, 07:09
And in march 3 RNoAF Bell 412SPs will join the Norwegian forces in Meymaneh.

(Incidentally, the Norwegian MOD states that the Germans can fly at night, but only in special cases. Wonder what that might bee.)

500e
19th Nov 2007, 11:24
Nice to know who is in charge of German flying in Afghanistan.
Perhaps that is the special case :suspect:

Brilliant Stuff
19th Nov 2007, 13:38
I agree it's never the folks on the ground or the front who stop the mission from being successful or taking off it's those people in cosy offices who have no back bone and therefore make life so unbelievably difficult.

Ferrit
20th Nov 2007, 09:52
If people have never flown in Afghanistan maybe they will pass comment about pilots not wantining to fly in Afghanistan at night. If they have then okay, however there are not a lot of ops at night here. As far as I am concerned those that fly at night here are going where angles fear to tread. No civilian ops are allowed at night ever.

MINself
20th Nov 2007, 11:44
I remember flying on many a dark night in Afghanistan when if it hadn't have been for the radalt I often wouldn't have known if I was at 20', 200' or 2000' agl, over terrain that varies in altitude quicker than helicopters can climb which is far from ideal when those featureless ridges blend in so well to the black night sky.

Fly safe to all.

MS :ok:

VfrpilotPB/2
20th Nov 2007, 14:30
Jayteeto

My comments were about the use of the German helicopters and their Modus Operandi, I was not slighting their bravery or in fact any other persons bravery who sets foot in that country, but to me, and in my opinion only, the conflict we have been thrown into dont stop cos it goes dark, so anyone who comes with us to carry fetch or throw lead should be fully able and capable of 24/7 action, like the Yanks and the Brits and I believe the Canadians and Aussies are doing without any screams or worries about the Dark!.

If we can, surely any other military force can, they have the same NVG the same Helis and the same weapons, conflict will not end at Sunset and crack off again at cockcrow!!

Peter R-B
Vfrpilotpb