PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Cadet Interview - Technical Questions

JayB
18th Nov 2007, 12:39
I've just managed to get my hands on an HKID card so that I can apply for the Cathay Cadet scheme, and have begun the application process.

After a bit of research on this forum, I've noted down the main applicaton stages and what they entail, however I'm a tad confused as to the area that covers 'Technical Questions'. I know that its not only wannabe cadets that have interviews, so I'm trying to find out if the 'Technical Questions' are for those who are moving from another airline to CX and therefore have flying experience, or if applicants with no experience are expected to answer these questions aswell?

I've heard about the 'Preparing for your Cathay Pacific Interview, Capt xyz' book, and also been wondering if anyone knows where I can pick a copy up in Hong Kong?

Thanks for any help or suggestions, and good luck with your own prep!

Aviator 81
18th Nov 2007, 14:12
Hi! JayB

Please tell me something,if I been wishing to join Cathay Pacific,I hold a South African CPL,is it possible for me to be in their cadet program even if Im not from Hong Kong.
:)

holdmetight
18th Nov 2007, 14:36
technical questions in CX cadet interviews are tailored to candidates' backgrounds. generally, the more exposure you've had in aviation and flying in particular, the harder the technical interviews will be. direct-entry pilots also have technical interviews, but the questions used in their interviews won't come up in cadet interviews... that is, unless you have a substantial amount of flying experience under your belt.

talking about books, unless you are a seasoned aviator, the Captain XYZ book is probably a bit too in-depth for you. i would recommend you start off the basics... From The Ground Up, and Aviation Theory Centre books are all good sources of knowledge.

good luck!

benedictz
18th Nov 2007, 15:45
holdmetight: can i conclude those applying CPP without any prior experience don't have to read the XYZ book... cause i m really finding it hard to understand.

any advise appreciated...

MidgetBoy
18th Nov 2007, 19:40
I heard they send you a book after your first interview to review with.
However, if you don't get an interview, you might consider going to a different country like USA or Canada to get some cheap basic flight training.
Like what Holdmetight said, From the Ground Up is a good book, or any other basic flight training manual that teaches you some stuff like turns, climbs, descends, spins, spirals (spins might not be required for HKG licenses)..

Anyways, best of luck to you.

JayB
19th Nov 2007, 01:46
Hi Aviator 81,

As far as I am aware, only those holding a Hong Kong ID card which allows you to live and work here unconditionally are allowed to apply for the cadet scheme.

It had previously only been open to those with the 'Right to Abode', however it has opened up a bit more now. I doubt the fact that you have a SA licence will hinder you, as you will still go through the same training as the other cadets for an HK licence.

Hope that helps!

holdmetight
19th Nov 2007, 02:10
can i conclude those applying CPP without any prior experience don't have to read the XYZ book... cause i m really finding it hard to understand.

well the general idea is that the more aviation/flying experience you have, the more in-depth your knowledge will need to be. if you're a holder of a fATPL and have several hundred hours under your belt, the XYZ book may well be a good source to read from. otherwise, it's best for people of limited/nil experience to read basic PPL-level books.

however, from what i remember of the XYZ book, there are several non-technical sections that may be of use for cadet-applicants... such as company information... but it's been a while since i read that book so it may have been updated or changed in any way.

lastly, may i add... i have been told on numerous occasions that "you can never study too much for the interviews". during the interviews, the interviewers will ask you things on the technical aspects of aircraft. if you can answer them, that is all good but then their questions will get harder and harder... they want to know the actual depth of your knowledge, so it never hurts to know more...

initial test/interviews coming up in one week, see you all there! :ok:

benedictz
19th Nov 2007, 03:48
I agree, Singapore cannot find any PPL books... don't know why either.

beside technical section, most other sections i tried to made a self-update in XYZ.

yeah man, see you all in HKG next week, btw when is the pre-gathering?

holdmetight
19th Nov 2007, 04:26
for the CPP november-december interview batch gathering, refer to the other cadet pilot thread in this forum.

cheers

VinnieC
19th Nov 2007, 04:46
No big deal if you cant get your hands on From the Ground Up.

You can find many basic aeronautical knowledge from the web anyways. Plus CX will send you a tech book to study right?

Also, read up on HK and CX. Know all the latest news of CX (from official news sources, not from this forum :)) It's a good idea to know more about the airline business environment too.

holdmetight
19th Nov 2007, 04:57
Also, read up on HK and CX. Know all the latest news of CX (from official news sources, not from this forum :)) It's a good idea to know more about the airline business environment too.

you have a point there VinnieC! :Dit's also important to know more about CX, though many of us (myself included) tend to put emphasis solely on aircraft tech. after all, you gotta know the company you'll end up working for ;)

bjbb
28th Nov 2007, 02:43
From what i've read there seems to be a bit of confusion over some matters.. i have been accepted for the program and in my prep i used...

from the ground up
book one of CAA PPL
pprune!
and the cathay website along with anything else i could get my hands on.
For anyone really geeky, get aerodynamics for naval aviatiors, its thick hairy stuff, but if you want a sound grounding in aerodynamics, this is the book.

Secondly, from what I hear, the cadet programme is nwo open to hong kong residents, no need for an ID card, however, i might be wrong and it might be ANYONE at all. For those of you cussing go well what does that mean, get hold of cathay recruitment and just ask am i elgible to apply if i am from/live in abc..

thirdly, they have changed the scheme a bit, new questions and so on, i had the old scheme, but i guess they are refreshing the system. All i would say is be yourself, prepare well for it, you need to show motivation, committment, confidence, knowledge and maturity. You really gotta want it, if you dont then your gonna struggle!

finally, there is a tech book they send to you after the 1st interview, once you know youve succeeded stage 1, it should be around 50-60 pages long with basic knowledge of systems, instruments, aerodynamics, hydraulics, etc.. learn averything you can inside out, and if gets hard, keep going, what is teh point of giving up!!!

good luck to all of you,

bjbb

capt_einz111
28th Nov 2007, 09:42
The Cadet Pilot Programme is now open to all HK resident card holders, before it was only open to HK permanent resident card holders. As the website is stating.
I don't think they accept non hk-resident card holders, but heey you never know.

TheDrop
29th Nov 2007, 06:38
Should you choose to get the XYZ book and you are in HK, then there is one place to buy it there, www.wingsofasia.com . Email them first, the shop can be hard to find. It is more like an office, looks like a film production company inside, not a book store! They don't take credit card.

Whether it is relevant or not for you, dunno. Basic aviation knowledge is good, add to that knowledge about HK, history, old/new airport, Cathay history/fleet/management/strategy and so on. Be well prepared with your paperwork and make sure they know you are not just there for a shortcut to another job!