PDA

View Full Version : Recover California sales tax

Momo
18th Nov 2007, 11:49
Just thinking about a new iPod. The price difference between the USA and here (Switzerland) is pretty big. Assuming I declare here and pay the 7.6% VAT, what can I do, if anything, to recover the California sales tax I will pay when over there the first week in December?

EastMids
18th Nov 2007, 13:49
Nope, not easy - only [I think its] Lousiana offers tax back for tourists. You could mail order an iPod from somewhere outside of California and have it delivered to where you're staying in California (out of state mail order doesn't attract sales tax in the US), but often credit card companies are reluctant to allow shipping to addresses other than that at which the card is registered. Or get a friend in the US to do this, and pay them. These are really the only practical ways of avoiding US sales tax. Unless either of the previous work for you, IMHO easiest thing to do may be just to pay the US sales tax on your iPod and not tell the nice man at Swiss customs anything about it.

A

derekl
20th Nov 2007, 00:56
Momo:

I live in the UK (tax domiciled) and in Northern California. I often have to deal with this. I would just pay the California sales tax (where I live, Santa Clara county 8.25%). The iPod is then your personal property and, provided it and other goods you bring back are worth less than your country's threshold (in the UK is it's GBP 175 = USD 360) then there's nothing to declare or pay duty or VAT on.

In my experience, most western countries' customs have much better things to worry about.

But then, I have an excuse, being legally resident in both countries. Confuses the heck out of them :)

Momo
20th Nov 2007, 05:26
Well, I go to Palo Alto six times a year. The import limit here is SFr 300, which is about $260. I normally declare things when I go over the limit. 7.6% is no big deal.

Momo

Rainboe
20th Nov 2007, 11:10
Isn't 7.6% the Import Duty? Is VAT only that figure- I thought it was more in Switzerland. Customs charge Import Duty on the total (including taxes price), then add VAT in the UK. You are left feeling robbed.

merlinxx
20th Nov 2007, 11:20
Hey I used to spend a goodly time in Los Gatos & SJC & shop up in SFO, most retail outlets waived the ST on production of PP & outbound TKT/s. Haven't been over for a couple of years so not that up to date.

praa
20th Nov 2007, 12:54
I'm resident in Germany. I bought an ipod last year while on a trip in California. I asked at the store if there was such a thing as a tax refund but they said no. So instead of around 22% savings I made a saving of around 15% but that's still not bad. I didn't declare it. A friend of mine took 4 ipods back to Denmark for friends this year and didn't get caught. Don't ask; don't tell.

Momo
20th Nov 2007, 13:23
Standard rate VAT is 7.6% on most things in Switzerland. 2 point something for restaurants. No import duty on most things other than food. This is why it is normally a very cheap country for electronics, by European standards. Most CDs, computer games, DVDs are cheaper than the USA. However, hard discounting starts earlier in the USA, so deals can be had. Mail-in rebates and such-like are unknown. I normally only buy DVDs over there if they are released earlier than here.

derekl
20th Nov 2007, 22:59
Momo: Palo Alto? My neck of the woods for the last twelve years. Was there a week ago.

merlinxx: Los Gatos, it's been two or three years, used to have friends there, since moved East.

derekl

RevMan2
21st Nov 2007, 14:32
Order via Amazon to your CA address.

They undercut Apple, you get free shipping and pay no sales tax

No brainer