PDA

View Full Version : New Airlines

747flyboy
12th Jan 2002, 21:43
I have been flying for nearly ten years and always for well established companies.
My question is has anyone took the risk and left their job as crew to go and work for a new airline?
The reason i am asking is that i have already heard of at least 4 airlines that are due to start operating in 2002 as was wondering whether i should take the plunge and go for it.
Would love to hear your comments.

flyblue
12th Jan 2002, 22:15
Went opposite way as you, and would NEVER go back. NEVER NEVER NEVER!
A big company gives you rights that you can only dream of in a small/new one. For a time I was tempted by the posts you can obtain with seniority (like instructor, HR or else),and I got it, just to realise it was not worth what you had to pay back in terms of your time and peace of mind.
Only my humble experience...

euroboy
15th Jan 2002, 02:12
Yes I did.

I left British Midland after 10 years with them to go and work at Debonair. A small low-cost airline based at Luton flying BAe146 aircraft.
It was excellent experience in that I trained SEP and Security to cabin crew and pilots. I learnt a lot in the 16 months I was there.

The airline went bust, but I went to another side of the travel industry which I wished to try. I didn`t like the change and applied to the airlines again. Back with the big carriers again.

There`s good and bad working for both a large and a small airline. Its a case of what you want to do.
If you want to know more e mail me.

corsaman
15th Jan 2002, 23:24
747Flyboy - I suppose all carriers have to start somewhere - look at how Excel has developed from Sabre and its creaking (yet beautiful)727's - I think if I lived in England, where there's a choice of operators, I'd stick with the biggies for the terms and conditions and the perks. Living in Northern Ireland is much more restrictive - jobs rarely come up. Another option is a franchise of BA - they seem to be doing rather better than the Mainline company - my experience of Maersk and GB is that their crews seem to really enjoy their work, and have largely the same concessionary travel agreements as BA - all that with a home life as well! All in all, I'd probably not join a new start-up just at the moment, given the economic climate. Unless I really wasn't happy where I was.............It wasn't a decision I had to make, unfortunately - BA made it for me! Good luck.