PDA

View Full Version : Avionics vs. Mechanical vs. Something Else?

joeflys256
17th Nov 2007, 14:38
Hi all, this is my first post here…

I am hoping that someone may be able to lend me a little advice?

After being out of the flying game for over 4 years (un-current), and not having enough hours to start with anyway (280 hours, fixed wing, 80 hours multi). I now require a new job, however, rather than just getting any job, I would prefer a career that has some relevance to the Aviation Industry.

I enjoy flying but cannot afford to continue or get current right now, plus I have started to realise I prefer flying for recreation…I enjoy working with my hands, problem solving, and the outdoors, but certainly would not complain if I could have both!

After reading a number of threads, here and else where, I have started to look seriously at getting an Apprenticeship as an Aircraft Engineer.

Admittedly, I know very little of what type of commitment gaining skills in either of these fields would take but have tried to learn as much as possible over the internet, which is not much.

Questions:
1. What is the best way to get into either of these fields right now (Apprenticeship, University etc.)?

2. Pro’s and Cons of each?

3. Start in: GA, Airlines, Fixed Wing or Helicopters?

4. Reading a number of negative threads has me concerned about exploring either of these, pay/conditions, how bad is it out there really?

5. Any other advice welcomed.

If you read all that, thanks for your time and if you manage to pass on any help, thanks even more.

Cheers.

BAe146s make me cry
17th Nov 2007, 15:57
Given that you have flying hours behind you surely there
must be some route back into flying for a living??
Given the shortage of Pilots in Aussie, at least reconsider it!

However, if you are determined to become a LAME, now's
pretty much a good time. The pay is not spectacular (certainly
not in basic training) but it can be a rewarding career.

Here's a link below to a Perth TAFE. Contact them on
Monday and have a chat with a lecturer in the Aircraft
Engineering faculty about your options.

http://www.getaccess.com.au/careers/profiles/data/OCC294.asp

Good luck

BAe146??? And whinging pommies!? :{:{:{

joeflys256
17th Nov 2007, 16:54
Thanks for the reply!

I have looked into TAFE over the net.

Will have to try a more direct route and contact the Engineering Faculty as you say. Will try and phone as their general email enquiries are not in fast reply mode, sent them an email about two weeks ago.

From what I have read, there is a Pre-apprenticeship in Aero Skills (Cert I) available through Midland TAFE, which is a years worth of full time study...

Would prefer NOT to spend another year of study without employment, I already have a degree. However I am prepared to go to TAFE towards a Cert IV, if someone could take me on part time as an apprentice to get the 'hands on experience' - I am hoping this will be possible?
I just do not want to go direct to an employer (waste their time) until I am 100% sure on exactly what I want to do.

As for flying, my licences are all NZ and not current, so very expensive getting them converted, plus I feel I need more solid skills/experience in something else (preferably in Aviation and where I am working with my hands, fixing/problem solving), before I get too old, what ever too old is?

I am career searching at the moment, and it can get rather daunting not having much experience outside of flying, so I want to make the right choice.

Anyway thanks for the help, I thought I would report back here with my progress as it could be of use to others.

Cheers.